Tactical Barbell Standards?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
jzt

Tactical Barbell Standards?

Post by jzt »

Hello all,

I haven't posted in a while, but lately I've been thinking ''What should I strive for?''. There comes a time where strength gains become minimal and focusing conditioning would be more worthwhile, or vice versa. I'm simply wondering what you would consider ''elite'' in terms of standards? KB gives a few examples in his books, mentioning someone running 1 mile in X time while deadlifting Y, etc. but I cannot find a ''grid'' per say.

The goal would be to shift the focus from certain aspects once a certain status has been acquired. For example, bringing your squat from 450 to 500 will not do much in terms of tactical fitness, but maintaining a 450 squat while improving your run time would be a smarter choice.

Right now I'm focusing on the following aspects:

Squat
Deadlift
Weighted Chins Ups
Overhead Press
Dead Hang (Grip)
5K Run (for time)

I'm at week 6 of a 9 week block atm and I will be posting the results shortly. Out of the physical aspects listed above, what else would you add for ''general fitness''? What standards would you set for each (ranging from average, good and elite)?

godjira1

Re: Tactical Barbell Standards?

Post by godjira1 »

this is a great question. i am no spring chicken at 43 but I think a good guide is:

1RM equivalent
Squat 2xBW
BP 1.5xBW
DL 2.5xBW
OHP 0.9xBW

Pullups 12 deadhang reps

1.5mile/2.4k sub 10:30.

ALL WITHIN 1 WEEK.

Personally I can't hit all the standards above for everything (i can do the BP, OHP, Pullups but slightly shy on the Squat, DL and 1.5miler) but I imagine if you can do all of those above you aren't doing too badly.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Maxrip13

Re: Tactical Barbell Standards?

Post by Maxrip13 »

godjira1 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:31 am this is a great question. i am no spring chicken at 43 but I think a good guide is:

1RM equivalent
Squat 2xBW (5RM 1.5x BW)
BP 1.5xBW (5RM x BW)
DL 2.5xBW (5RM 2x BW)
OHP 0.9xBW (5RM Pushpress 1xBW)

Pullups 12 deadhang reps (10 Pullups +10kg)

600m sprint in 2 mins or less
1.5mile/2.4k sub 10:30.
(10km under 55 mins)
ALL WITHIN 1 WEEK.

Personally I can't hit all the standards above for everything (i can do the BP, OHP, Pullups but slightly shy on the Squat, DL and 1.5miler) but I imagine if you can do all of those above you aren't doing too badly.
This is pretty close to what I think but I have progressed towards thinking slightly lower numbers for 5 reps is a better strength standard for tactical athletes. I put what I think and aim for above next to your standards in bold. The ability to hit 5RMs instead of 1RMs carries over better in my opinion. I just think higher reps is more important than 1 RMs when it comes to athletes especially in the tactical field. Good standards though as that was what I used for years.