Hybrid Program

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Crackerjack

Hybrid Program

Post by Crackerjack »

I've been running a new version of some TB programs that I combined to work better with my schedule.
I cleverly named it Zulerator(because I'm corny) and as you might have guessed it's a combination of Zulu and Operator. I've realized that I really enjoy squatting 3 times a week but also enjoy the short sessions that come with Zulu. So basically I've swapped the standard deadlift in Zulu out with a squat, while still alternating the upper body lifts each session. Also, I keep a day in between lift sessions as with operator.
It looks something like this with Black Pro:

Monday- SQ/BP
Tuesday- REST
Wednesday- SQ/WCU
Thursday-REST
Friday- SQ/BP
Saturday- WCU/LSS run
Sunday-Hills/Sledge drills

I use the Zulu percentages. I really like this approach as it allows for flexibility on days when I don't have alot of time or maybe have to squeeze conditioning in on same day as lifts.
Also, you may have noticed I put 2 HIC's on the same day. I have found the combination of hills and sledge drills to be a great back to back combo because one focuses heavily on lower body while the other focuses on upper body. I start with hills in my neighbourhood and catch my breath on my walk back home. Then jump right into the sledge drill. This gives me a much needed extra rest day.

Maxrip13

Re: Hybrid Program

Post by Maxrip13 »

How do you find the 4 day continuous stint at the end?

It kinda turns itself into an extended operator more than Zulu but if it's working for you that's great.

If I was going to do it I would turn your Friday into an extended Operator with an LSS tacked on, but that's just me. I like one longer combined Strength and Conditioning session each week when I do black to feel like I build some E.

Crackerjack

Post by Crackerjack »

I thought that might be an issue but it hasn't bothered me. I think it's partially because I'm only doing one lower body HIC with hills. Also the LSS run isn't very taxing and sometimes feels like active recovery.
Another reason I have both rest days during the week is just that I don't have as much time for workouts on days that I work. That said, I will sometimes float the HIC or LSS day into a week day if scheduling permits.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Crackerjack wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:39 am I thought that might be an issue but it hasn't bothered me. I think it's partially because I'm only doing one lower body HIC with hills. Also the LSS run isn't very taxing and sometimes feels like active recovery.
Another reason I have both rest days during the week is just that I don't have as much time for workouts on days that I work. That said, I will sometimes float the HIC or LSS day into a week day if scheduling permits.
Do whatever works for you. My schedule is all over the place also between shift work and now a return to BJJ. I took today as a recovery day, when last week it was a SE+ LSS day.

Don't fall into the trap of using LSS as a recovery session regularly though. LSS running or Long distance running is actually one of the most taxing things on your body long term. The forces are really high even though it feels easy at the time. I used to do this until I realised after being educated on this. It's a training session and should be treated as such. If you want to do some recovery cardio just walk (unloaded). Loaded walking is also a training session.

Good luck mate. It's a good way to get your training in around life.

Crackerjack

Post by Crackerjack »

Roger that, thanks for the heads up. I'll say that I do recognize the LSS as having training impact but when comparing to hills or something with heavy kettelbells, the muscular fatigue level is on a whole other level. I'm still amazed at how much standard hills smoke my hamstrings, and it seems like when the the hammys are done everything else feels a good bit harder. That said, LSS work does have that sneaky cumulative effect you have to watch out for.