Post by jsestuff »

Good evening. Per the pinned post, here's my background:
Age 55
Sex Male
Training Goal. Lose fat, progress Se, E and Strength
Strength Template. Fighter
Conditioning Protocol. Green
Lift numbers. Squat 365. Ohp 185. DL 395
SE/Bodyweight numbers. Generally use kettle bells....47 pound for all except Kettlebell DL, which is 57
Run Times. Ugh...10:30/mile
Diet - dietary restrictions i.e. like low carb or keto. None

Given the above, I haven't cycled in bench press. It's a lift I need to move the needle on. Is it recommended to to two, nine week cycles following Green Standard from TBII, then after that alternate nine week cycles using ohp for one cycle and bench for another?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Joel

Maxrip13

Re: Exercise Selection for Green Standard

Post by Maxrip13 »

Just do your normal program and bench press instead of OHP until you get to the number you want.

If you question is "Should I alternate bench press with OHP?" the answer is it depends.
You need to work out how much of a focus it is and why you chose OHP over bench press in the first place.
You don't really need to bench press if you don't powerlift or have it as part of a work related fitness test.

I think your question is should swap each cycle. That's definitely a good way to get to do both lifts if it's important to you.
I am trying to think which 9 week cycle you are referring to?

jsestuff

Post by jsestuff »

Thanks, Maxrip13.

Yes, I run nine week cycles, with Max Strength two days a week. Currently, SQ/OHP/Pullups one day, then SQ/OHP/Pullups/DL on the other. Next nine week cycle I will swap BP for OHP

I am following Green Protocol - Standard Template from TBII. In the Kindle version, it's page 57.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

jsestuff wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:25 pm Thanks, Maxrip13.

Yes, I run nine week cycles, with Max Strength two days a week. Currently, SQ/OHP/Pullups one day, then SQ/OHP/Pullups/DL on the other. Next nine week cycle I will swap BP for OHP

I am following Green Protocol - Standard Template from TBII. In the Kindle version, it's page 57.
That sounds like the way to go then. If you want to mix both in just alternate every 9 weeks. If you ever do go to OP (3 sessions) you could also run A-B-A.

To deal with FOMO I actually like to use whichever variant I am not using as the warmup. If bench press is my main strength exercise(it usually is) I warm up with lighter OHP or with a single arm DB variant.