Kettlebell sport for conditioning

MxS/SE/HIC/E
H.C.

Kettlebell sport for conditioning

Post by H.C. »

Hey guys, just a bit of background. 41 years old. Long time strength and conditioning enthusiast. Have done various things one at a time in the past: gymnastics/ martial arts, hypertrophy/bodybuilding style training, kettlebell sport, TACFIT, Starting Strength, Greyskull, 531 etc. Been with 531 for the longest time in different programmings, minus the conditioning. Attracted to Tactical Barbell because my long time reason to do SnC is i naturally suck in physical performance, especially at conditioning. Totally sucked in the military (conscript) even though i had good upper body strength and pull up numbers from gymnastics. :D

Now want to finally combine strength and conditioning using the Tactical Barbell approach. Just finished a 6 week cycle of Operator. Never imagined myself to look forward to doing cardio. Never imagined myself to do 2 barbell lifts 3 times a week and still have plenty of gas for conditioning. :D

The last time i did kettlebell sport was long before the west and youtube proliferated with kettlebell sport info, 2006-2008 or so. Did my RKC cert in 2006. My first kettlebell sport manual i bought was from Andrey Kuzmin, CMS. Now want to do kettlebell sport programming but all i got online are so complicated. What i like about Tactical Barbell is the simple programming. Can we treat the kettlebell sport movements as described in the Tactical Barbell book like a repetition based exercise and so percentages of those: 70% of 100 reps = 70 reps:

Week 1: 75% x 3 sets
Week 2: 80% x 3 sets
Week 3: 85% x 1 set

Something like that?

Not interested in competitive kettlebell sport, just like to do high reps, half or full marathon style. (Did 1000 reps 1H press during the time the 1000 reps snatch challenge was around). :D

TBPenguin

Re: Kettlebell sport for conditioning

Post by TBPenguin »

H.C., welcome.

I think what you suggest would be OK. Or maybe consider doing the KB sport moves as SE is laid out?

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

H.C. wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:22 am Hey guys, just a bit of background. 41 years old. Long time strength and conditioning enthusiast. Have done various things one at a time in the past: gymnastics/ martial arts, hypertrophy/bodybuilding style training, kettlebell sport, TACFIT, Starting Strength, Greyskull, 531 etc. Been with 531 for the longest time in different programmings, minus the conditioning. Attracted to Tactical Barbell because my long time reason to do SnC is i naturally suck in physical performance, especially at conditioning. Totally sucked in the military (conscript) even though i had good upper body strength and pull up numbers from gymnastics. :D

Now want to finally combine strength and conditioning using the Tactical Barbell approach. Just finished a 6 week cycle of Operator. Never imagined myself to look forward to doing cardio. Never imagined myself to do 2 barbell lifts 3 times a week and still have plenty of gas for conditioning. :D

The last time i did kettlebell sport was long before the west and youtube proliferated with kettlebell sport info, 2006-2008 or so. Did my RKC cert in 2006. My first kettlebell sport manual i bought was from Andrey Kuzmin, CMS. Now want to do kettlebell sport programming but all i got online are so complicated. What i like about Tactical Barbell is the simple programming. Can we treat the kettlebell sport movements as described in the Tactical Barbell book like a repetition based exercise and so percentages of those: 70% of 100 reps = 70 reps:

Week 1: 75% x 3 sets
Week 2: 80% x 3 sets
Week 3: 85% x 1 set

Something like that?

Not interested in competitive kettlebell sport, just like to do high reps, half or full marathon style. (Did 1000 reps 1H press during the time the 1000 reps snatch challenge was around). :D
Give it a try and let us know how it goes. I never found that the promises of Girevoy Sport carried outside of Girevoy Sport. I got good at those lifts, but it never carried outside the sport itself. I also have done nearly every one of those programs above at various points.It's funny because I have never run 5/3/1 for an extended period because I found TB instead.

A few options I would consider to get the best of both worlds:

TB Operator A-B-A:
Back Squat, Bench press as normal
A-Clean and Jerk
B-Snatch

Treated similar to swings in Ageless athlete

Same as above but with Fighter Bangkok (F) and just do A-B-F.

Those would be my approach instead of what you mention. Your approach would be more appropriate as SE and as part of base building/green. The above would give you the ability still scratch that itch whilst doing Tactical Barbell Operator etc. If you don't own it read Ageless athlete and I think it will cover your question in a way.

H.C.

Post by H.C. »

Thanks for the replies guys.