Endurance sessions, multiple sets

MxS/SE/HIC/E
H.C.

Endurance sessions, multiple sets

Post by H.C. »

In the Tactical Barbell Conditioning book it is mentioned to start E with 30 mins and progress up to 45-60 mins or more. If my schedule does not allow that but allows multiple sets of 30 mins, does that work also? :D

Example:

8am: 30 mins
12pm: 30 mins
6pm: 30 mins

Or even shorter sets like 15 mins or so. :D

Maxrip13

Re: Endurance sessions, multiple sets

Post by Maxrip13 »

You can do whatever you need to do to get your training in. It's your goals. Your previous thread was about doing longer sessions or including SE with your E work. Maybe post up some of your goals as per the FAQ and we can give some more educated opinions based on your actual situation.

30 mins is the bare minimum to get the specific heart rate adaptions you are chasing by doing LSS training. The reason we run further is because of the specific heart rate adaptions that occur post 30 mins. Everything post 30 post that 30 min mark builds the heart up in laymans terms.

If you just want to get better at running in genera then go for it, but you would be better off just hitting 30 mins once or twice when you can and then making time to get a long run somewhere.

If you just want to run hard for 15 mins, then go for it. It's not really training in anyway though. It's just running hard for the sake of it.

If you can do 30 mins here and there I would use it for stretching and recovery. Some of the best training periods I have had is when I was able to do my strength and conditioning work in the AM and then a recovery session at lunch (ROMWOD, Walk or Stretch).

H.C.

Post by H.C. »

Maxrip13 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:22 pm You can do whatever you need to do to get your training in. It's your goals. Your previous thread was about doing longer sessions or including SE with your E work. Maybe post up some of your goals as per the FAQ and we can give some more educated opinions based on your actual situation.
No conditioning goals. Only lifting goals. :lol:
30 mins is the bare minimum to get the specific heart rate adaptions you are chasing by doing LSS training. The reason we run further is because of the specific heart rate adaptions that occur post 30 mins. Everything post 30 post that 30 min mark builds the heart up in laymans terms.
Noted.
If you just want to get better at running in genera then go for it, but you would be better off just hitting 30 mins once or twice when you can and then making time to get a long run somewhere.
Noted.
If you just want to run hard for 15 mins, then go for it. It's not really training in anyway though. It's just running hard for the sake of it.
Nah. It's just easier for me to carve out multiple sets of 15 or 30 mins than 1 set of 45-60 mins at any day.

If you can do 30 mins here and there I would use it for stretching and recovery. Some of the best training periods I have had is when I was able to do my strength and conditioning work in the AM and then a recovery session at lunch (ROMWOD, Walk or Stretch).
Noted.

Thanks for the ideas.

H.C.

Post by H.C. »

After reading Ageless Athlete, i realised i was doing too much and trying to do too as much as possible whereas i should be doing the opposite. :D

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

when your goal is to become an ageless athlete, which in my mind conjures up:
1/ injury free and healthy, with ok mobility
2/ reasonable strength and strength endurance
3/ reasonable cardiovascular endurance

it is important to realise that the magic sauce is consistency and not trying to redline the engine.

there are many "exercisers" out there who redline when lifting (maxing too often, training too much at high % of 1RM) or running (ditto, all tempo and vo2 max intervals, virtually no easy efforts)... and 9 in 10 of these are brought to a halt by their bodies. injuries/burn-out are the surest way to stalling and regression.

from a been-there done-that guy here, and it has taken me a long time to put this into practice. hope this helps!
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

I think there are good answers above.

In my opinion you can divide strength training as much as you want. For pure strength it‘s more about weekly volume or even volume over time than volume in one straight session. It‘s not the case with endurance training.

So, keep the strength / power training short, divide them, do it grease the groove style and keep your endurance session longer than 30minutes each.