Minimalist HIC cluster and time based programming questions

MxS/SE/HIC/E
H.C.

Minimalist HIC cluster and time based programming questions

Post by H.C. »

If you were to program HIC as simple as possible, how could it be designed?

Example from Pavel's Enter The Kettlebell:

Random 2 to 12 minutes of kettlebell snatch or swing.
Light day: snatch 50% AMRAP
Medium day: swing 75% of AMRAP
Heavy day: swing AMRAP

Examples from https://www.kbfitbritt.com/blog/all/ket ... guidelines

1 minute on 1 minute off x 7-10 sets

1.5 minutes on 1 minutes off x 7-10 sets

2 minutes on 2 minutes off x 4-6 sets

4 minutes x 3 sets

6 minutes x 2 sets

I am primarily interested in time based programming, due to logistical reasons, not interested to "find a hill" or something like that. I like to just use whatever i have on hand: bodyweight, kettlebell, airdyne etc. From the TB Conditioning book, it seems that the longest time based program is about 2 minutes work (HIC#4 and #5)? How long is the longest work duration to be considered HIC?

TBPenguin

Re: Minimalist HIC cluster and time based programming questions

Post by TBPenguin »

H.C. wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:37 pm If you were to program HIC as simple as possible, how could it be designed?

I am primarily interested in time based programming, due to logistical reasons, not interested to "find a hill" or something like that. I like to just use whatever i have on hand: bodyweight, kettlebell, airdyne etc. From the TB Conditioning book, it seems that the longest time based program is about 2 minutes work (HIC#4 and #5)? How long is the longest work duration to be considered HIC?
I don't think I've read anything over 2 minutes for the hard part, mostly 20 - 30 seconds. Also you can set an upper limit for total session time, maybe 15 - 20 minutes. So if programming it, I'd just pick 2 -3 workouts to be done in a block. Maybe aerodyne with 00:30/00:30 for 15, doing the pre-programmed C2 interval workout, stuff like that. The "progression" comes from you performing that workout better over time, not from changing the parameters. So pick your workouts for a block, distribute them over the week as you like, and you're done.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

H.C. wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:37 pm If you were to program HIC as simple as possible, how could it be designed?

Example from Pavel's Enter The Kettlebell:

Random 2 to 12 minutes of kettlebell snatch or swing.
Light day: snatch 50% AMRAP
Medium day: swing 75% of AMRAP
Heavy day: swing AMRAP

Examples from https://www.kbfitbritt.com/blog/all/ket ... guidelines

1 minute on 1 minute off x 7-10 sets

1.5 minutes on 1 minutes off x 7-10 sets

2 minutes on 2 minutes off x 4-6 sets

4 minutes x 3 sets

6 minutes x 2 sets

What are you trying to achieve with that time based programming because that decides your interval?

It comes down to what specific adaption you are chasing at the time. Within the TB system most of the GC sessions work off time based intervals in a circuit format. Another good option would be to grab Infinite Intensity or Never Gymless from Ross Enameit. he has some really good short conditioning sessions that are under 20 mins and work off shorter sessions.

H.C.

Post by H.C. »

TBPenguin wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:09 pm

I don't think I've read anything over 2 minutes for the hard part, mostly 20 - 30 seconds. Also you can set an upper limit for total session time, maybe 15 - 20 minutes. So if programming it, I'd just pick 2 -3 workouts to be done in a block. Maybe aerodyne with 00:30/00:30 for 15, doing the pre-programmed C2 interval workout, stuff like that. The "progression" comes from you performing that workout better over time, not from changing the parameters. So pick your workouts for a block, distribute them over the week as you like, and you're done.
Nice idea. Thanks.👍

H.C.

Post by H.C. »

Maxrip13 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:55 pm What are you trying to achieve with that time based programming because that decides your interval?

It comes down to what specific adaption you are chasing at the time. Within the TB system most of the GC sessions work off time based intervals in a circuit format. Another good option would be to grab Infinite Intensity or Never Gymless from Ross Enameit. he has some really good short conditioning sessions that are under 20 mins and work off shorter sessions.
No conditioning goal. Just want to keep it as simple as possible. I wanted to just do E or SE for conditioning to keep it even simpler, but from the TB Conditioning book and this forum, i get the impression that for general purpose, one should be doing Black-ish protocol rather than Green-ish protocol. :D

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

H.C. wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:06 am
Maxrip13 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:55 pm What are you trying to achieve with that time based programming because that decides your interval?

No conditioning goal. Just want to keep it as simple as possible. I wanted to just do E or SE for conditioning to keep it even simpler, but from the TB Conditioning book and this forum, i get the impression that for general purpose, one should be doing Black-ish protocol rather than Green-ish protocol. :D
I have effectively run TB OP I/A with Green for years now because it fits my goals. You can do what you want based off what you are trying to do, but it's always good to stick within the system. All you need to avoid is the classic Operator Black, Simple and Sinister, Fighter Pullup program, whilst training for an Ironman. Pick a focus for a cycle or two and stick with it.

I used to love EMOM work back in the day and used it for things like Pullups and Presses.

Have you considered using an abbreviated TB cluster and then EMOM's as a quick density session at the end?
Something like:
Back Squat TB Operator style
3 Pullups, 5 Pushups EMOM for 10 mins. (30 pullups and 50 push ups in 10 min)

You cover off all bases and get the best of both worlds in an abbreviated simple training session. I used to do this a lot back in the day when I had a higher SE focus for upper body stuff. Progress by adding a rep every other session to the pullups and 2 to the push ups and once you get to a high enough rep amount for your goals, just add time and reset from the start again. I used to love doing these for 20 mins.

You don't have to do conditioning if you don't want to at all. You can just do whatever sessions you want, but TB is a system designed to allow you to do Strength work and good amounts of conditioning. The whole system is designed to gain strength with a heavy conditioning load.