Post-BB continuation advice for detrained lifter

MxS/SE/HIC/E
manicc

Post-BB continuation advice for detrained lifter

Post by manicc »

Age/sex/height/weight: 33/M/6'1"/225
Training Goal: Recreational fitness. I'm a new father with a desk job. Lost track of fitness for the last few years.
Strength Template: Considering Operator. Would like advice here.
Conditioning Protocol: Black.
Lift numbers: Not great. Detrained. Just finishing up base building: Sq: ~200, B: 150, DL: 225
SE/Bodyweight numbers: Cannot do weighted pullups, 1-2 strict form. Completed BB with a mix of a 16kg kettlebell and 30 pound dumbbells.
Run Times: Ran base building indoors on a bike so they are very slow currently. That said, I have moved my "E" days outside and have typically kept an 11-12 mile pace. Weather where I am from was not conducive to roadwork outside.
Diet - Deficit right now. Have lost 15 pounds over base building and feel great. Plan to continue at a deficit until June-July.

Background:

I have lost track of my lifting in recent years. Several years ago, I was extremely consistent in the gym but did not have adequate continuation programming or diet in place to capitalize on my training. I primarily used linear programs for years, stalled hard, over and over, and ended up beat up and injured. My best lifts ended up being Sq:365/B:195/DL:395. I am not a naturally adept lifter. I was always an endurance athlete when I was younger. I have disproportionately long arms and have never been able to bench much weight. This was done on inadequate nutrition and lack of sleep, along with way too much drinking in graduate school. I'm much more focused now, my nutrition is fairly dialed in, and I don't really indulge in alcohol anymore.

My current status:

I feel great after running base building (it is winter here and I was not able to do roadwork, and don't have an occupational requirement to do so, so I opted for indoor E session on a Peloton). My resting heart rate dropped from 63 to 50 and I'm down 15 pounds. My cardio has increased noticeably and I have a much bigger "tank". I ran BB on a deficit as I am fairly overweight and my primary goals right now is to lose weight and minimize muscle loss (whatever small amount I may have). I realized how much I miss running outside in the last few weeks and am eager to get out more and more.

Options for Continuation?

I am in my final week of base building and am not sure where to go from here. On the one hand, I am aware of what I can do with 6 months linear progression, and would likely end up at or near my other lift numbers given concentrated effort in that period of time (I have all my old training logs). On the other, I am not wanting to give up the cardio I have worked for in the last 8 weeks by diligently running base building. I was an avid cross country racer when I was younger, and have not felt this good in several years.

I do not want to get injured. While strength is nice, and it is motivating to meet goals and put pounds on the bar quickly (a la LP), I want to be well-rounded physically, feel good, and avoid injury. The submaximal nature of the lifts in TB appeal to me for this reason. Would Operator be acceptable to run in place of an LP considering my temporary goals (weight loss, general fitness)? I'm going to continue at a deficit until June-July of this year, then transition to maintenance. Or, should I commit to an LP for 2-3 months, recover whatever strength I can, and transition to operator/black at that time. The conditioning of Black, alongside an LP (while at a deficit), is not something that appeals to me, so if I were to run an LP, I would likely reduce my conditioning considerably. Perhaps I'm wrong here?

To clarify, I see three options:

1) Would it be worthwhile to run an LP with no conditioning for the next several months in place of Black/Operator, considering I am on a deficit currently (and give up my cardio gains);
2) Run an LP program alongside Black, while on a deficit; or
3) Should I transition to Black/Operator now considering I just finished BB and retest at 9-12 weeks, then every 6 weeks thereafter until I stall (as the book notes). With this approach, how much am I really prolonging the time of my strength gains?

I'm leaning towards (3), but do not want to do this if it is incredibly suboptimal.

Thanks to anyone who has read this.

Barkadion

Re: Post-BB continuation advice for detrained lifter

Post by Barkadion »

I vote for Black OP. It covers all aspects of training. Start with basic version of conditioning sessions and 3 lifting sets and process from there. You will end up with great overall progress and you won’t need to be on calorie restriction. But take it slow and steady. Go after safe and sound performance, not numbers. You’ll be surprised. Good luck!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

manicc wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:03 pm Age/sex/height/weight: 33/M/6'1"/225
Training Goal: Recreational fitness. I'm a new father with a desk job. Lost track of fitness for the last few years.
Strength Template: Considering Operator. Would like advice here.
Conditioning Protocol: Black.
Lift numbers: Not great. Detrained. Just finishing up base building: Sq: ~200, B: 150, DL: 225
SE/Bodyweight numbers: Cannot do weighted pullups, 1-2 strict form. Completed BB with a mix of a 16kg kettlebell and 30 pound dumbbells.
Run Times: Ran base building indoors on a bike so they are very slow currently. That said, I have moved my "E" days outside and have typically kept an 11-12 mile pace. Weather where I am from was not conducive to roadwork outside.
Diet - Deficit right now. Have lost 15 pounds over base building and feel great. Plan to continue at a deficit until June-July.

Background:

I have lost track of my lifting in recent years. Several years ago, I was extremely consistent in the gym but did not have adequate continuation programming or diet in place to capitalize on my training. I primarily used linear programs for years, stalled hard, over and over, and ended up beat up and injured. My best lifts ended up being Sq:365/B:195/DL:395. I am not a naturally adept lifter. I was always an endurance athlete when I was younger. I have disproportionately long arms and have never been able to bench much weight. This was done on inadequate nutrition and lack of sleep, along with way too much drinking in graduate school. I'm much more focused now, my nutrition is fairly dialed in, and I don't really indulge in alcohol anymore.

My current status:

I feel great after running base building (it is winter here and I was not able to do roadwork, and don't have an occupational requirement to do so, so I opted for indoor E session on a Peloton). My resting heart rate dropped from 63 to 50 and I'm down 15 pounds. My cardio has increased noticeably and I have a much bigger "tank". I ran BB on a deficit as I am fairly overweight and my primary goals right now is to lose weight and minimize muscle loss (whatever small amount I may have). I realized how much I miss running outside in the last few weeks and am eager to get out more and more.

Options for Continuation?

I am in my final week of base building and am not sure where to go from here. On the one hand, I am aware of what I can do with 6 months linear progression, and would likely end up at or near my other lift numbers given concentrated effort in that period of time (I have all my old training logs). On the other, I am not wanting to give up the cardio I have worked for in the last 8 weeks by diligently running base building. I was an avid cross country racer when I was younger, and have not felt this good in several years.

I do not want to get injured. While strength is nice, and it is motivating to meet goals and put pounds on the bar quickly (a la LP), I want to be well-rounded physically, feel good, and avoid injury. The submaximal nature of the lifts in TB appeal to me for this reason. Would Operator be acceptable to run in place of an LP considering my temporary goals (weight loss, general fitness)? I'm going to continue at a deficit until June-July of this year, then transition to maintenance. Or, should I commit to an LP for 2-3 months, recover whatever strength I can, and transition to operator/black at that time. The conditioning of Black, alongside an LP (while at a deficit), is not something that appeals to me, so if I were to run an LP, I would likely reduce my conditioning considerably. Perhaps I'm wrong here?

To clarify, I see three options:

1) Would it be worthwhile to run an LP with no conditioning for the next several months in place of Black/Operator, considering I am on a deficit currently (and give up my cardio gains);
2) Run an LP program alongside Black, while on a deficit; or
3) Should I transition to Black/Operator now considering I just finished BB and retest at 9-12 weeks, then every 6 weeks thereafter until I stall (as the book notes). With this approach, how much am I really prolonging the time of my strength gains?

I'm leaning towards (3), but do not want to do this if it is incredibly suboptimal.

Thanks to anyone who has read this.
Option 3 sounds like it hits your goals perfectly. Pick run based sessions and use your bike instead.
It's still a combo of steady state and interval work and better than what most people are doing. You may just need to double the distance in some cases. A 5km bike ride doesn't have the same effect as a 5km run. My knowledge around anything besides long easy rides is lacking on a bike though.

manicc

Post by manicc »

Barkadion wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:18 pm I vote for Black OP. It covers all aspects of training. Start with basic version of conditioning sessions and 3 lifting sets and process from there. You will end up with great overall progress and you won’t need to be on calorie restriction. But take it slow and steady. Go after safe and sound performance, not numbers. You’ll be surprised. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. Operator/Black it is.
Maxrip13 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:21 am Option 3 sounds like it hits your goals perfectly. Pick run based sessions and use your bike instead.
It's still a combo of steady state and interval work and better than what most people are doing. You may just need to double the distance in some cases. A 5km bike ride doesn't have the same effect as a 5km run. My knowledge around anything besides long easy rides is lacking on a bike though.
Thanks. I'm transitioning all my work to outside/running for the most part now. I've found the bike workable, but now that the weather is opening up I'm enjoying getting outside.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

manicc wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:45 pm
Barkadion wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:18 pm I vote for Black OP. It covers all aspects of training. Start with basic version of conditioning sessions and 3 lifting sets and process from there. You will end up with great overall progress and you won’t need to be on calorie restriction. But take it slow and steady. Go after safe and sound performance, not numbers. You’ll be surprised. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. Operator/Black it is.
Maxrip13 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:21 am Option 3 sounds like it hits your goals perfectly. Pick run based sessions and use your bike instead.
Thanks. I'm transitioning all my work to outside/running for the most part now. I've found the bike workable, but now that the weather is opening up I'm enjoying getting outside.

It was a timely post for me also. I got covid and have been dealing with injuries that prevent me pressing heavy. Now I am deciding whether to run laps of my yard for 30 mins or drag a sled for 30 mins to get my basebuilding in. I wish I had a bike or similar as an option as I will basically be doing repeated 20 metre intervals for half an hour haha. I wonder what my garmin will say.