TB with Sciatica

MxS/SE/HIC/E
cws1992

TB with Sciatica

Post by cws1992 »

So anyone run TB with a herniated disk? Just tried starting running operator with squat bench pull ups. Haven’t been consistent in the gym since my injury 6 months ago But this was the first time I tried squatting again and 2 days later I’m back with sciatic pain. I can do leg press and have done squats with a weight vest just fine without pain but it seems the squatting re-aggravated my sciatica. Anyone have this issue before? Pretty much done with squats and deadlifting for a while.

Barkadion

Re: TB with Sciatica

Post by Barkadion »

Why don't run BB? Some KB/DB/BW drills for rehab and swimming for LSS if you live near pond or lake. It is summertime after all. ;)

If not - try unilateral cluster. Lunges, Bulgarian split squats, One leg DL something like that. It doesn't require very heavy load. Another option - One leg assisted pistols. Something like that.. If you are able to do it safely without a pain indeed. Good luck!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

cws1992

Post by cws1992 »

Barkadion wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:12 pm Why don't run BB? Some KB/DB/BW drills for rehab and swimming for LSS if you live near pond or lake. It is summertime after all. ;)

If not - try unilateral cluster. Lunges, Bulgarian split squats, One leg DL something like that. It doesn't require very heavy load. Another option - One leg assisted pistols. Something like that.. If you are able to do it safely without a pain indeed. Good luck!
Assuming I kept bench and WPU at Standard Operator Sets and Reps, what would you recommend for something like Bulgarian split squats?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

cws1992 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:10 am
Barkadion wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:12 pm Why don't run BB? Some KB/DB/BW drills for rehab and swimming for LSS if you live near pond or lake. It is summertime after all. ;)

Assuming I kept bench and WPU at Standard Operator Sets and Reps, what would you recommend for something like Bulgarian split squats?
I kept classic TB structure when I run unilateral clusters. And I run quite few different ones. I must say that I used SSB bar for Bulgarian squats. You can use landmine setup if KB/DB weight is not enough. It needs some getting used to but totally doable.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

cws1992 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:40 pm So anyone run TB with a herniated disk? Just tried starting running operator with squat bench pull ups. Haven’t been consistent in the gym since my injury 6 months ago But this was the first time I tried squatting again and 2 days later I’m back with sciatic pain. I can do leg press and have done squats with a weight vest just fine without pain but it seems the squatting re-aggravated my sciatica. Anyone have this issue before? Pretty much done with squats and deadlifting for a while.
As Bark said, Unilateral is the way to go. I have a disk in my neck causing me some major issues and have been doing unilateral work to get around it.

My favourite OP/Fighter cluster these days is:
Bulgarian Squats
Benchpress/OHP
Single Leg Deadlift

I would include pullups if my injury wasn't stopping me from doing them currently depending on Fighter or OP. I do pullups as assistance.

Back squats and Deadlifts knock me around too much these days, I just can't be bothered with the back issues and recovery cost anymore.
I haven't lost any major strength in my lower body from this approach and I can run straight after with no issues.

I push the reps up a bit over the usual sets of 5 for the squats. I am sitting at BW for the Bulgarian squats and would rather work some extra reps than chase a 1RM with them at this point.