Bulgarian Split Squats

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Monster Smash

Bulgarian Split Squats

Post by Monster Smash »

I’m getting sick of injuries from squats. It’s just every year or maybe I skip a year, if I’m lucky, but always get fucking injured from squats. I’m sick of it. I’m laying here in bed trying to recover from this morning. And I was warming up. I’m not even squatting heavy because I hurt my knees last year and I am only just recovering from that.

Looking at maybe switching to Bulgarian Split Squats (BSS) for a while, or permanently. I train at home, so I don’t have Leg Press or Hack Squat machines.

I’m 57. I’ve tried every variation you can think of. I’m just tired of this. I just want to squat injury free. I don’t want to eliminate the squat pattern, as I think it is super important. But, if I could work up to heavy Bulgarian squat, I feel like I’d be strong AF. A lot of strong squatters aren’t very good at BSS.

Anyway, wondering if any old guys have made a similar transition. I’m not ever going to compete. My primary goal right now is more conditioning based anyway.

TL;DR Im probably going to try Bulgarian Split Squats for a while as a replacement for barbell back squats. But looking for other recommendations.

I have a weighted vest, so I’ll probably use that after a cycle using body weight, just to get the balance and used to the new movement. After the first cycle, I’ll start adding weight and go from there.

Barkadion

Re: Bulgarian Split Squats

Post by Barkadion »

I do that when I run unilateral cluster. But you can injure yourself with Bulgarians as well especially if it gets heavy. Otherwise it’s great exercise. However my favorite is reverse lunges with BB in front squat position. It gives you stable position with heavy loads. Just my 2c.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Monster Smash

Post by Monster Smash »

Barkadion wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:51 pm I do that when I run unilateral cluster. But you can injure yourself with Bulgarians as well especially if it gets heavy. Otherwise it’s great exercise. However my favorite is reverse lunges with BB in front squat position. It gives you stable position with heavy loads. Just my 2c.
I appreciate the input.

There’s always a way to injure yourself with heavy weight, unfortunately. Barbell back squat, and other variants just have not worked well for me. I’ve had others tell me also about reverse lunges. I may work through a few different unilateral versions and see what seems to work best. But, I have discussed this with other old men who have various issues with back squats and they swear by the unilateral versions. They can load them safely and no loss of strength or growth. So, want to give it a fair try once I’m healed up.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

You might appreciate this:

https://youtu.be/lq0BHCyZhck

Monster Smash

Post by Monster Smash »

Barkadion wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:31 pm You might appreciate this:

Thanks so much. I love Brian’s content. Yeah, all good tips. I plan to start with body weight and then progress slowly. I don’t plan on using a barbell though. Just a weighted vest and eventually dumbbells. With that combo, I can get up to 245. On one leg, that’s respectable to rep with. At least in my camp.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Monster Smash wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:05 pm
Barkadion wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:31 pm You might appreciate this:

Thanks so much. I love Brian’s content. Yeah, all good tips. I plan to start with body weight and then progress slowly. I don’t plan on using a barbell though. Just a weighted vest and eventually dumbbells. With that combo, I can get up to 245. On one leg, that’s respectable to rep with. At least in my camp.
Sounds good. Good luck!

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

I have not made the switch. But if it is your knees, I don't think the BSS or any lunge variation is going to solve things. Maybe. They tend to be hard on knees, and if you have any knee instability they can be riskier than regular squats.

Certainly the approach you are taking is well thought out. I hope it works for you.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Monster Smash wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:34 pm I’m getting sick of injuries from squats. It’s just every year or maybe I skip a year, if I’m lucky, but always get fucking injured from squats. I’m sick of it. I’m laying here in bed trying to recover from this morning. And I was warming up. I’m not even squatting heavy because I hurt my knees last year and I am only just recovering from that.

Looking at maybe switching to Bulgarian Split Squats (BSS) for a while, or permanently. I train at home, so I don’t have Leg Press or Hack Squat machines.

I’m 57. I’ve tried every variation you can think of. I’m just tired of this. I just want to squat injury free. I don’t want to eliminate the squat pattern, as I think it is super important. But, if I could work up to heavy Bulgarian squat, I feel like I’d be strong AF. A lot of strong squatters aren’t very good at BSS.

Anyway, wondering if any old guys have made a similar transition. I’m not ever going to compete. My primary goal right now is more conditioning based anyway.

TL;DR Im probably going to try Bulgarian Split Squats for a while as a replacement for barbell back squats. But looking for other recommendations.

I have a weighted vest, so I’ll probably use that after a cycle using body weight, just to get the balance and used to the new movement. After the first cycle, I’ll start adding weight and go from there.
I successfully have run plenty of clusters with the Bulgarian Squat in place of Back squats. I actually find when I do the rest of my training goes much better. I think they are best done with Dumbbells or Kettlebells held to the side personally. It's really easy to ditch the weight that way.

I would definitely look at doing reverse lunges over Bulgarians if knees are your issue though. It's worth looking at knees over toes guy, as I have had a lot of success with reverse sledding when my knees do play up.

You don't need to back squat if it is causing you those sorts of issues. I up my reps when I do Bulgarians instead of weight. Sets of 10,8,6 is usually where I end up before adding any weight to the mix. I also let my knee break over my toes and keep the rear leg at a reasonable height. A low bench is plenty, no need to have it right up on a plyo box.

Monster Smash

Post by Monster Smash »

Maxrip13 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:25 am
Monster Smash wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:34 pm I’m getting sick of injuries from squats. It’s just every year or maybe I skip a year, if I’m lucky, but always get fucking injured from squats. I’m sick of it. I’m laying here in bed trying to recover from this morning. And I was warming up. I’m not even squatting heavy because I hurt my knees last year and I am only just recovering from that.

I successfully have run plenty of clusters with the Bulgarian Squat in place of Back squats. I actually find when I do the rest of my training goes much better. I think they are best done with Dumbbells or Kettlebells held to the side personally. It's really easy to ditch the weight that way.

I would definitely look at doing reverse lunges over Bulgarians if knees are your issue though. It's worth looking at knees over toes guy, as I have had a lot of success with reverse sledding when my knees do play up.

You don't need to back squat if it is causing you those sorts of issues. I up my reps when I do Bulgarians instead of weight. Sets of 10,8,6 is usually where I end up before adding any weight to the mix. I also let my knee break over my toes and keep the rear leg at a reasonable height. A low bench is plenty, no need to have it right up on a plyo box.
Hey Thanks. I have the Knees over Toes guys book. Yeah, my knees seem to have solved their own problem :D Now, it’s my lower back area. It’s always something these days.

Anyway, I do like the sound of Reverse Lunges being easy on the knees. At the height of my knee pain, I could barely walk. That sucked. All I need is a squat pattern movement where I can add weight and not get injured. So, maybe I’ll start with those and see how it feels.

I appreciate all the feedback. This is a great community.

jzt

Post by jzt »

Do heavy Trap Deadlifts combined with high volume KB Squats.

Simple as that. Thank me later.