Current Split

MxS/SE/HIC/E
fleurjr

Current Split

Post by fleurjr »

Good morning all,

First time posting so I thought I post my current split and get your opinions on it.

I am a 42 year old male. No military experience. I have read TB1, TB2, and AA. Goals: Strength although some aesthetics would be nice.

I won't call this TB because it isn't. More TB inspired. I definitely like the format of TB (i.e. clusters, simplicity, frequency, etc) but I tend to circle back to a form of LP (Stronglifts, SS, 531, etc). Although I have lifted for many years and put up some OK numbers in the past, I don't think I have run an LP to exhaustion before. That may be why I tend to circle back to it. Paralysis by Analysis. I recently read Bigger, Stronger, Leaner and although I don't like the entirety of the program there are some aspects I do like.

Cluster:
Squat/Bench Press/weighted pull-ups/weighted dips

Frequency:
Three times per week (kind of like Operator)

Progression:
This is where I deviate from standard TB. In B,S,L the author advocates a 4-6 rep range for most compound lifts with progression on achievement of 6 reps. Example if I hit 6 reps on squat on a set I increase the weight on the following set. If I am only able to get 4 or 5 reps then I stay at the same weight.

Program design:
Squat: 3 sets of 4-6 (increase weight on the following set if able to achieve 6 reps on previous)
Bench: 3 sets of 4-6 (see above)
Weighted pull-ups: 3 sets of 4-6 (only add weight to following day if able to achieve 3 sets at 6 reps)
Weighted Dips: 3 sets of 4-6 (same progression as pull-ups)

Equipment:
I work out of my basement and have a variety equipment but for the sake of this post I have: Squat rack, 20kg barbell, dip attachment, dip belt, and pull up bar. I also have 268.75kg of plates (from 25kg plates down to 0.125kg plates. This allows me to be very conservative with my progression adding as little 0.25kg to the bar and 0.125kg to the belt each time.

Thoughts:
Some of you may be asking why I don't just run TB as written and progress with retesting or forced. Reasonable criticism for sure. I guess I wanted to try out a LP and see where it takes me. SS, SL, and 531 are fine programs but I wanted even more simplicity and quicker workouts (busy lifestyle). Also Pull-ups have always been a weakness of mine and this cluster allows me to get more frequency to work on them. I know that this program is not sustainable forever but given the micro-loading I believe I can run it from some time. When I begin to stall I will stay at the 4-5 rep range until I am able to get to 6. I will also need to build in some recovery weeks as well once the weight gets up. Once I believe that this program has been exhausted I will probably decrease the frequency or just change to standard TB. Also I am not running any conditioning right now because I think it my interfere with my recovery. Plan on adding it after this program. I am sure there is more I can add but I will leave it at that.

Thoughts?

TBPenguin

Re: Current Split

Post by TBPenguin »

If you need a period to run an LP type program, that is not a problem. I think you will get more from TB after running an LP out.

Your cluster - drop the dips. It is redundant with what you already have, and if you are still at the stage of benefitting from an LP, you should not be doing dips with such low reps. Especially at your age. Don't take the chance. I would consider working in deadlifts and standing presses.

Conditioning will not interfere with your recovery at that level, it will improve it. Stick with mostly E type stuff out of TBII, maybe do some HIC once every 3 weeks.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

fleurjr wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:36 pm Good morning all,

First time posting so I thought I post my current split and get your opinions on it.

I am a 42 year old male. No military experience. I have read TB1, TB2, and AA. Goals: Strength although some aesthetics would be nice.

I won't call this TB because it isn't. More TB inspired. I definitely like the format of TB (i.e. clusters, simplicity, frequency, etc) but I tend to circle back to a form of LP (Stronglifts, SS, 531, etc). Although I have lifted for many years and put up some OK numbers in the past, I don't think I have run an LP to exhaustion before. That may be why I tend to circle back to it. Paralysis by Analysis. I recently read Bigger, Stronger, Leaner and although I don't like the entirety of the program there are some aspects I do like.

Cluster:
Squat/Bench Press/weighted pull-ups/weighted dips

Frequency:
Three times per week (kind of like Operator)

Progression:
This is where I deviate from standard TB. In B,S,L the author advocates a 4-6 rep range for most compound lifts with progression on achievement of 6 reps. Example if I hit 6 reps on squat on a set I increase the weight on the following set. If I am only able to get 4 or 5 reps then I stay at the same weight.

Program design:
Squat: 3 sets of 4-6 (increase weight on the following set if able to achieve 6 reps on previous)
Bench: 3 sets of 4-6 (see above)
Weighted pull-ups: 3 sets of 4-6 (only add weight to following day if able to achieve 3 sets at 6 reps)
Weighted Dips: 3 sets of 4-6 (same progression as pull-ups)

Equipment:
I work out of my basement and have a variety equipment but for the sake of this post I have: Squat rack, 20kg barbell, dip attachment, dip belt, and pull up bar. I also have 268.75kg of plates (from 25kg plates down to 0.125kg plates. This allows me to be very conservative with my progression adding as little 0.25kg to the bar and 0.125kg to the belt each time.

Thoughts:
Some of you may be asking why I don't just run TB as written and progress with retesting or forced. Reasonable criticism for sure. I guess I wanted to try out a LP and see where it takes me. SS, SL, and 531 are fine programs but I wanted even more simplicity and quicker workouts (busy lifestyle). Also Pull-ups have always been a weakness of mine and this cluster allows me to get more frequency to work on them. I know that this program is not sustainable forever but given the micro-loading I believe I can run it from some time. When I begin to stall I will stay at the 4-5 rep range until I am able to get to 6. I will also need to build in some recovery weeks as well once the weight gets up. Once I believe that this program has been exhausted I will probably decrease the frequency or just change to standard TB. Also I am not running any conditioning right now because I think it my interfere with my recovery. Plan on adding it after this program. I am sure there is more I can add but I will leave it at that.

Thoughts?
I just consider TB Operator a slower form of Linear progression to be honest when you force progress. Instead of progressing each session, you progress monthly or 6 weekly depending on how you approach it. It good for those of us that want to maintain or build a little strength with other things in our life. Everytime I jump on other programs I find my numbers increase, but the rest of my life suffers.

Do what works for you mate. One thing is you didn't mention your weight or lifts. Linear progression got me to around 2x Bodyweight Squat, 2.5x Deadlift and a bench of around 1.5. TB has let me maintain within 85% of that without ever working that hard and doing other stuff. I am sure if I took 8 weeks to train hard I could beat those numbers. If you are already there you may be approaching the limits of LP depending on your personal results.

fleurjr

Post by fleurjr »

Thank you both. I may have to rethink the whole thing anyway. I just took a new job and it is more demanding than I originally anticipated. I am considering a Zulu model to shorten up the work out duration each day.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

fleurjr wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:04 pm Thank you both. I may have to rethink the whole thing anyway. I just took a new job and it is more demanding than I originally anticipated. I am considering a Zulu model to shorten up the work out duration each day.
I find longer sessions over less days easier to fit in. Zulu never worked for me because I have to spend 10+ mins warming up before I even get to my work sets. I rather just warm up 2-3x a week (Op or Fighter) and get my Strength and conditioning in back to back..
It comes down to what you can lift though, but once you start hitting big numbers it takes so long to warm up.

Again hard to give proper advice without full details in terms of numbers etc. Just find something that works for you.