Operator with more volume

MxS/SE/HIC/E
brand

Operator with more volume

Post by brand »

Hello guys,

I want to do an operator cycle, but I think its to low volumen for me. Because it says in the book, that it is made for people which are doing "side work" like a push ups or kettlebell swing and so on. I dont have any side work beside some low intense running or hiking.
What can I add to the program? Some back of sets like in the german volume training? Some bodyweight movements?

I am currently running this:
Squat + bench
Militarypress + Deadlift

each exercise I am doing this:
1.set 100 % of todays weight 5 reps
2.set 90% of todays weight 5 reps
3-10. set 80% of todays weight 5 reps

(the startweigth was 70% of my 1 rep. max. at the start of this program)
I increased the weight by 2,5-5,0 kg each season.

brand

TBPenguin

Re: Operator with more volume

Post by TBPenguin »

How much weight have you been using? If you have not developed a lot of strength yet, you can get away with that volume, but you'll gain faster with a program that pushes the poundages faster. Operator at full volume is more than enough for somebody doing the conditioning (re-read that), given appropriate strength levels.

brand

Post by brand »

currently I use this weigths for the first set:
bench: 85,00 kgs
squat: 108,75 kgs
deadlift: 122,5 kgs
militarypress: 52,5 kgs

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

brand, at those strength levels you'll gain faster if you do less of the lower weight stuff and more of the heavier stuff. I think the reason you feel the need for more volume is that those sets 3-10 are really too light for you. You are doing 8 sets of 5 with weights you could lift for probably 12 or more reps if fresh. Those won't do much for you at your stage. You need weight more than volume.

You know that set 2 you are doing at 90% of your set 1? If you did 3 or 4 sets with that and skipped the 80% of set 1 sets, you'd get stronger faster and within a few weeks you would not feel unfinished at the end of a workout. If it were me, I'd run that out until it got really hard before switching to Operator.

Operator and really all KB's programs are designed so that you don't destroy yourself while getting in all that conditioning. If you were to switch to Operator now, you'd be doing bench 70 x 5 x 5, squat 90 x 5 x 5, and weighted pullups, all 3 times a week, in the first week. Those aren't much different than what you are doing no in sets 3-10, just less volume. It goes up after that, but in 3 week cycles. Those backoffs are really useful when you get stronger or older, but right now you don' need it. If you said you had to get ready for some conditioning standard, that would be different.

brand

Post by brand »

Ok I got your points and it makes sense to me.
But I am not sure if I have understood the following quote correctly.
TBPenguin wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:24 pm If it were me, I'd run that out until it got really hard before switching to Operator.
Is your advice I should run my program till it gets really hard and than switch to operator or should I switch to operator right now?

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

brand wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:06 am Ok I got your points and it makes sense to me.
But I am not sure if I have understood the following quote correctly.
TBPenguin wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:24 pm If it were me, I'd run that out until it got really hard before switching to Operator.
Is your advice I should run my program till it gets really hard and than switch to operator or should I switch to operator right now?
Stick to your current layout.

If you haven't stalled yet, do set 1 5 reps just like you are currently, then drop 10% and do 3-4 sets of 5 at that weight. (100 x 5, 90 x 5 x 3 or 4)

If you think you are close to stalling, don't work up to the max 5 rep set for set 1. Just go directly to the 90% load and do 3-4 sets of 5. (90 x 5 x 3 or 4)

Just keep adding some weight until it gets real hard. Then let's talk again.

brand

Post by brand »

thank you for the explanation.
yesterday I have done the workout like you have said. its totally different. I dont really know how to describe but I think my originall plan got me more muscle "tiredness" and the new adapted plan is more intense while working out. I get closer to muscle failure but I feel fitter quicker. In terms off loading Its also 1:2 different.
I keep going with the new plan and see where it gets me.