Re: Struggling to do pull-ips

Post by TheWolf »

MR_Boutros

Post by MR_Boutros »

TheWolf wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:46 am This helped me significantly:

https://www.strongfirst.com/the-fighter ... revisited/
Thank you.
This program does look good and I have done some of Pavels routines in the past.
I will give this a try.

Really appreciate your help

Northof50

Post by Northof50 »

I've had tendonitis issues as well. Still do but not nearly so bad. Here are some things that have helped A LOT:

1. Do this wrist prep routine before each workout. This has helped not only my wrists but my elbows as well. Just go really easy for the warmup effect. Don't try to push a stretch - well, just a little stretch, nothing painful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSZWSQSSEjE&t=4s

2. I've learned that my hand position on the bar, palms facing away, need to a bit wider than shoulder width.

3. I used assistance bands for a while, but they never quite worked for me (they were a just pain to use). Much simpler and very effective so far are negatives. Once I reach what I sense is my last good pull-up, I switch to negatives to complete the set. You'll want a step stool to allow you comfortably position yourself with your head above the bare (or buddy assist can work too), then lower yourself at a count of about 7 seconds. Then climb back up and do it again. It's a slow process, but I have definitely improved my max.

Good luck!

MR_Boutros

Post by MR_Boutros »

Northof50 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:54 pm I've had tendonitis issues as well. Still do but not nearly so bad. Here are some things that have helped A LOT:

1. Do this wrist prep routine before each workout. This has helped not only my wrists but my elbows as well. Just go really easy for the warmup effect. Don't try to push a stretch - well, just a little stretch, nothing painful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSZWSQSSEjE&t=4s

2. I've learned that my hand position on the bar, palms facing away, need to a bit wider than shoulder width.

3. I used assistance bands for a while, but they never quite worked for me (they were a just pain to use). Much simpler and very effective so far are negatives. Once I reach what I sense is my last good pull-up, I switch to negatives to complete the set. You'll want a step stool to allow you comfortably position yourself with your head above the bare (or buddy assist can work too), then lower yourself at a count of about 7 seconds. Then climb back up and do it again. It's a slow process, but I have definitely improved my max.

Good luck!
I will definitely give your suggestions a try. Thank you so much for responding.

Northof50

Post by Northof50 »

One thing I forgot to mention that another poster on Reddit reminded me of: Maybe don't fully extend your elbows. I only recently got to the point where I'm sort of comfortable fully extending, but I do it very slow and carefully. Also, I try to keep my upper back and shoulders tight, vice fully extending / relaxing the shoulders.