How to select HIC exercises when running Black?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
cracklescousin1234

How to select HIC exercises when running Black?

Post by cracklescousin1234 »

I'm coming up on my last three weeks of base-building, during which time I will be doing that aerobic conditioning that comes with HICs #1 through #10. I understand that these sessions in particular entail high-intensity work interspersed with relatively long rest periods, so that each round is done from a state of full recovery. Meanwhile, HICs #11 through #24 build your anaerobic capacity by making you work repeatedly without enough time to fully rest.

When I'm done with BB, I plan on running Operator (or whatever strength template/routine) with Black, and I'm wondering which sessions I should choose, and how I should progress them and/or switch them up over time.

I would like to do two sessions of HIC and one of E each week (i.e. Black Professional), as that keeps things consistent and simple between weeks while fulfilling the guidelines. Given that, which HIC exercises should I pick?

One option is to keep things similar to BB and stick to HICs 1-10 only. This is an easy option, but of course I'll miss out on the opportunity for anaerobic training.

The converse option is to just stick to HICs 11-24, in which case I'm still doing some aerobic work with one E session every week. If I do this, am I missing out on not doing high-intensity aerobic work? And would this idea result in something stupid like counteracting adaptations?

Another option is to do something involving HICs 25-36, but I'm not interested in this "general conditioning" stuff without building a lot more strength and improving my cardiac system by, like, a lot. For similar reasons, I'm going to skip out on HICs 37-40.

That leaves my remaining options of either doing one of 1-10 and one of 11-24 every week, or doing only 1-10 for a strength training block before switching to 11-24 for the next block (or vice-versa).

Does anyone have any ideas on what I might do? Should I just not think about this at all and do whatever the hell I feel like for my conditioning work?

Barkadion

Re: How to select HIC exercises when running Black?

Post by Barkadion »

It really depends on your goal and priorities. Personally, I usually stick with one GC and one hill HIC version, starting with baby level and progressing from there. GC gives you opportunity to address some accessory movements and/or work on your weak links. Hill sessions just give you all you need by conditioning means. I also love Fobbit variations. It can be either E, or HIC depending on the timing of the session. Anything heavy bag or KB related - that’s my love as well.

Besides that.., don’t overthink it. Just do it. Think long time, like years. You can do different drills within a year and decide for yourself.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

alottadav

Re: How to select HIC exercises when running Black?

Post by alottadav »

Currently doing similar. BLK OP PRO

2 HIC and 1 E.
Using strictly HIC 1-10 as I would like to decrease my 5k run time. Only on week 1 though so I’ll let you know how it goes.

Fast 5/ hills/ 1 E sessions is what I chose.
Sometimes I’ll add some easy Z2 air bike after my lifting of time permits just to burn a little more calories without training too hard. Typically time permitting if I’ve got a few extra min to kill