Green Protocol - What I'm Doing Now

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Northof50

Green Protocol - What I'm Doing Now

Post by Northof50 »

Appreciate any comments / thoughts.

Male
25lbs over USMC max weight for height (when I was in - LONG time ago)
Goal: To be stronger than I was when I was 23 and really didn’t know what I was doing.

Program Guide: Green Protocol - The Book

Right now:
Week 2, Capacity - Operator

Equipment:
Dumbbells (Powerblock) - don’t have room for barbell
Bench
Pull-up bar
Dip station

Exercises:
Bench
Pullup (body weight)
Squat (sort of a front squat with bells on resting on my shoulders)
Knees to Elbows (my only core specific exercise)
Deadlift (bells at my sides, feet shoulder with)
Dips (body weight)

5 sets each exercise, but I pair them off to save time, so I do a set of one pair of lifts, rest 3 minutes, then do the next set, rest 3, etc.

Pairs:

Bench
Pullup

Squat
Knees to Elbows

Deadlift
Dips

LSS Runs: Well, due to a lot of life things and knee pain, I left running behind a long time ago. With this program, I’m attempting to bring running back, but it’s sort of a walk to warm up then careful slow jog to the next driveway, lamp post, walk some more kind of thing, and I’m playing it very much by feel. Really having to learn just to jog again, but so far, not so bad. Nose breathing to keep me in zone 1-2 where I need to be.

Thoughts on all this? One question: given my limited running ability, rather than just staying in Capacity until I can hit 6 miles in one hour (may take forever at this rate) I’m thinking just doing the best I can for the timed LSS workouts and the best I can for the six miler at the end of capacity and moving on from there to Velocity, then Outcome.

I’m really liking this program and the book. Very inspiring and, it seems to be, a very reality based program.

K.B.
Site Admin

Re: Green Protocol - What I'm Doing Now

Post by K.B. »

Looks solid.

Are your dumbbells heavy enough to get into max-strength range?
If not you can also do a percentage of total reps - might be a good option if you have a limited amount of dumbbells/limited ability to incrementally load etc.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

You can also do unilateral movements and that will let you increase the load overall. As an example: Bulgarian split squats (you can have DBs in front squat position), one leg deadlift or suitcase DL (very effective), one arm pushups (add paper plate or towel under arm to master the movement and play with the load).. You can create your own versions. Another thought to invest in TRX or Rings and attach it to pullup bar. You can do archer rows and archer push-ups..

Just my 2c.. Good luck!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Northof50

Post by Northof50 »

K.B. wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:14 am Looks solid.

Are your dumbbells heavy enough to get into max-strength range?
If not you can also do a percentage of total reps - might be a good option if you have a limited amount of dumbbells/limited ability to incrementally load etc.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. My dumbbells for the time being are plenty heavy.

Northof50

Post by Northof50 »

Barkadion wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:39 am You can also do unilateral movements and that will let you increase the load overall. As an example: Bulgarian split squats (you can have DBs in front squat position), one leg deadlift or suitcase DL (very effective), one arm pushups (add paper plate or towel under arm to master the movement and play with the load).. You can create your own versions. Another thought to invest in TRX or Rings and attach it to pullup bar. You can do archer rows and archer push-ups..

Just my 2c.. Good luck!
Great ideas, thanks!