Operator VS Fighter for BJJ

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TortiTurtle

Operator VS Fighter for BJJ

Post by TortiTurtle »

I do BJJ 3-5 times a week, on 2 of these days I also have MMA sparring before. Sessions last an hour or a little longer usually, on the days with MMA, 2+ hour sessions.

I'm 16, 6"0, 168 LBS. I don't want to get injured, by possibly lifting too much but on the other hand, I'm young so I'm not sure if I will be. I think the primary as of right now (besides improving skills/technique) is improving strength and aerobic conditioning, but the goals may be subject to change after I start basebuilding next week.

Is Operator okay to run when training 3-5x a week?

Monday: BJJ

Tuesday: BJJ

Wednesday: BJJ if I get a ride

Thursday: BJJ

Friday:

Saturday: Possible BJJ open mat in the morning.

Sometimes Saturday and Friday get switched up. (BJJ on Friday instead but in the evening.)

I'll try to do heavybag work 3x a week minimum and shadowboxing at least 3x a week but preferably 6-7.

Time does not allow for training after BJJ on weekdays, school starts soon, so lifting before would be about 2-3 hours before.

I would love to be able to run operator with at least one LSS run a week, HICs 1-2x a week would be great too.

Obviously, Fighter would result in less fatigue but also less strength and mass (I have a goal of reaching a lean 185) but is it reasonable to be able to use operator?

UpsNdowns

Re: Operator VS Fighter for BJJ

Post by UpsNdowns »

I think that you are trying to fit too much in; making the mistake of wanting to maintain or improve conditioning, whilst building aerobic capacity and improving strength all whilst doing bjj and striking work.

Your body cannot improve all these facets at once.

I’ve done the same thing, experiencing strong burnout from trying similar in my mid twenties.

My advice would be:
(1) significantly reduce your bjj hard rolling volume and striking volume for a short period of 8 or 12 weeks and compete a base build of aerobic capacity.

(2) maintain the same low volume of hard rolling and striking for another 12 weeks and introduce a fighter tac barbell based lifting approach with 2 days heavy weights, picking fighting friendly variations like zercher squat, bench, trap bar deadlifts with a heap of rows and pull-ups, neck work as accessories to prepare the body against injury. Keep the volume low to medium on the big lifts and volume high and weight light on the accessories.

Do maybe 1 day a week of HIC, very occasionally 2 days. The sparring and rolling will take care of the rest and are the specific conditioning you need.
Sprinkle in an easy aerobic day once a week like an hour long jog or bike. Conversation pace only.

Your diet will be the main thing to get you up to the next weight class but I’m not going to offer any advice there.

Most importantly do a whole recovery day once a week where the most you do is walking and stretching.

(3) only after you are satisfied with your strength levels/weight class,pare the weights back to the minimum volume as you learn what suits you and helps maintain your strength as you return to normal volume of martial arts but keep the aerobic day and recovery day.

Just my 2 cents

K.B.
Site Admin

Re: Operator VS Fighter for BJJ

Post by K.B. »

UpsNdowns wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:47 am I think that you are trying to fit too much in; making the mistake of wanting to maintain or improve conditioning, whilst building aerobic capacity and improving strength all whilst doing bjj and striking work.

Your body cannot improve all these facets at once.

I’ve done the same thing, experiencing strong burnout from trying similar in my mid twenties.

My advice would be:
(1) significantly reduce your bjj hard rolling volume and striking volume for a short period of 8 or 12 weeks and compete a base build of aerobic capacity.

(2) maintain the same low volume of hard rolling and striking for another 12 weeks and introduce a fighter tac barbell based lifting approach with 2 days heavy weights, picking fighting friendly variations like zercher squat, bench, trap bar deadlifts with a heap of rows and pull-ups, neck work as accessories to prepare the body against injury. Keep the volume low to medium on the big lifts and volume high and weight light on the accessories.

Do maybe 1 day a week of HIC, very occasionally 2 days. The sparring and rolling will take care of the rest and are the specific conditioning you need.
Sprinkle in an easy aerobic day once a week like an hour long jog or bike. Conversation pace only.

Your diet will be the main thing to get you up to the next weight class but I’m not going to offer any advice there.

Most importantly do a whole recovery day once a week where the most you do is walking and stretching.

(3) only after you are satisfied with your strength levels/weight class,pare the weights back to the minimum volume as you learn what suits you and helps maintain your strength as you return to normal volume of martial arts but keep the aerobic day and recovery day.

Just my 2 cents
Excellent advice here.

One of the takeaways I'd like to emphasize: add only one extra layer at a time, then give it a little bit of time before adding the next. After Base, add in either Fighter or Operator. See how that goes for several weeks. After that, add a HIC or two - reassess. Then E or LSS etc.

When you get to the stage of deciding between Fighter & Operator, also consider Op/IA. I/A essentially lets you switch between 2 and 3 lifting days per week depending on how you feel/recovery + schedule. So it's almost like switching between Fighter/Op as needed.