Over 50’s Club

MxS/SE/HIC/E
gilly

Over 50’s Club

Post by gilly »

Hi Team. I’m wondering if there’s an appetite on here for an over 50’s club?
There’s a deep well of hard won experiential knowledge that would be an awesome asset to this forum - and not only for the over 50’s!!!

Happy to start contributing my experiences and I’ll sure others are too.

Cheers

Gilly

TBPenguin

Re: Over 50’s Club

Post by TBPenguin »

Hey Gilly, welcome. I think there are a decent number of posts from over 50s in the over 40 club thread, even a few from the over-60. You are very right though, over 50 is considerably different from over 40. 40-45 really isn't much different from the 30s. I hope you will contribute your experiences here.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Hey Gilly. 54 yo here. Welcome!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

gilly

Post by gilly »

Thanks Bark - 55 years and going strong.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Gents, mid-50s you either recently went through some changes, are currently going through some changes, or are coming up on some notable changes. What is going on?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:23 am Gents, mid-50s you either recently went through some changes, are currently going through some changes, or are coming up on some notable changes. What is going on?
Hey TBP,
Well… I just recovered from bad sciatica. I have to be mindful on how much and how many days I can load my back. Also, keeping very conservative TM, developing love for BW movement and making habit of mobility drills. And probably.. liking E more than HIC.. Anyway, pushing unilateral cluster for now.. Overall, I feel I am entering different waters..

gilly

Post by gilly »

TBPenguin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:23 am Gents, mid-50s you either recently went through some changes, are currently going through some changes, or are coming up on some notable changes. What is going on?
I guess for me the biggest changes I’ve noticed are decreasing mobility and agility, I can’t run as fast and my recovery is not what it was. However despite this and with careful programming I can at least mitigate these changes - for how long I don’t know. Mitigation looks like 20-25 minutes of flexibility and mobility work a day, training only 5 days a week, listening to my body, wearing a heart rate monitor and zone training rather than smashing myself on the treadmill and sensible and measured increases in volume over a 6 week block rather than week to week.

AndyGog

Post by AndyGog »

In for this one. 51 now and starting Operator again.

Starting Strength keeps hitting me with injury setbacks as the weights start climbing. I think I've still got the enthusiasm to add more weight and go for the 3x5, but maybe the ability and recovery aren't what they were!

gilly

Post by gilly »

What do you guys do for recovery?
I’m finding despite carefully manipulating my training blocks some mornings I wake up feeling knackered.
I stretch and roll out religiously and make sure I get my carbs, protein and creatine in post workout but still get tired and sore.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

gilly wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:49 am What do you guys do for recovery?
I’m finding despite carefully manipulating my training blocks some mornings I wake up feeling knackered.
I stretch and roll out religiously and make sure I get my carbs, protein and creatine in post workout but still get tired and sore.
Mobility, enough sleep, and making sure to move constantly. I don’t stretch a lot, but rather do mobility drills. My warmup now is 20-30 min and I take care of cool down as well. I try to walk outside on daily basis. It helps a lot. Otherwise.. embrace the suck of getting older :)