Stalled on Week 3 of block building

MxS/SE/HIC/E
BarneyFife

Stalled on Week 3 of block building

Post by BarneyFife »

Hi,

I'm on week 3 of base building and I cannot do 40 squats with the weight that I started with. I could barely finish week 2 with the weight I chose. I should probably mention that I'm doing the squat with a dumbbell on each shoulder, basically a front squat variation. Regular back squats hurt my shoulders. I have some arthritis there, so I need my arms more to the front.

I could easily do 40 reps doing suitcase squats. (holding a dumbbell in each hand and squatting down.) Don't ask me why that is easier. Probably something to do with the angles or core strength or something.

So, what do you recommend? Should I reduce the weight or maybe repeat week 2?

I've mentioned in my other posts that I'm 65 years old and a little overweight. My main goals are to reduce my resting heart rate, lose a few pounds, and general conditioning for traditional martial arts.

Thanks!
Barney

RuckAroundTheClock

Re: Stalled on Week 3 of block building

Post by RuckAroundTheClock »

Just use bodyweight.

Brett

Post by Brett »

Hi Barney,
Have a look at Ageless Athlete base building. Tango circuits are easier to manage for older lifters.
Has worked well for me in my 50’s.
Training = work + rest

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

BarneyFife wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:44 pm Hi,

I'm on week 3 of base building and I cannot do 40 squats with the weight that I started with. I could barely finish week 2 with the weight I chose. I should probably mention that I'm doing the squat with a dumbbell on each shoulder, basically a front squat variation. Regular back squats hurt my shoulders. I have some arthritis there, so I need my arms more to the front.

I could easily do 40 reps doing suitcase squats. (holding a dumbbell in each hand and squatting down.) Don't ask me why that is easier. Probably something to do with the angles or core strength or something.

So, what do you recommend? Should I reduce the weight or maybe repeat week 2?

I've mentioned in my other posts that I'm 65 years old and a little overweight. My main goals are to reduce my resting heart rate, lose a few pounds, and general conditioning for traditional martial arts.

Thanks!
Barney
2 options:
Drop weight/use the easier variation
Break your reps up into smaller sets

Do you own the books? The answer is in them.
My guess is you are talking about hitting 40 reps in a single set when the book addresses this specifically.

If not, what is giving out, your legs or the shoulders from holding the dumbells? If it's the position you are holding the dumbells, then just change that position.

BarneyFife

Post by BarneyFife »

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I did eventually manage to get to 50 reps of squats with my starting weight.

When I first posted this, I did understand that if you cannot do all of the reps, you should rest for a short period and keep going. That worked for the first circuit, but on the remaining circuits, no amount of rest would have helped. I mean I would have had to rest hours literally.

I did two things to break through the plateau. I repeated week 2, and perhaps more importantly, I improved my diet. Added more protein and complex carbs. That really seemed to make a difference.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help and comments!