Challenge Sessions

MxS/SE/HIC/E
StayGrey

Challenge Sessions

Post by StayGrey »

I'm looking at Snake Eater's Delight. I'm thinking of treating these challenge sessions as mini-events that I work up to over the year. Any of you crazy bastards attempt the challenges yet?

J-Madd

Re: Challenge Sessions

Post by J-Madd »

I did Duku-Duku x 12 with a 55lbs kettlebell once. I'll admit that I have no desire to try Snake Eater's Delite. I'm a bit of wimp about sleep!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Haha, admittedly the first time I read Snake Eater's Delight I was about halfway through when I said hell yeah, someday. Then K.B. said only the crazy would like it... :lol:

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

J-Madd wrote:I did Duku-Duku x 12 with a 55lbs kettlebell once. I'll admit that I have no desire to try Snake Eater's Delite. I'm a bit of wimp about sleep!
Seriously? How was it? Any tips? The idea of lugging around that KB while sprinting up and down a hill without putting it down sounds like sheer hell.

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Haha, admittedly the first time I read Snake Eater's Delight I was about halfway through when I said hell yeah, someday. Then K.B. said only the crazy would like it... :lol:
Yeah, my family and some of my more vanilla friends think I'm from another planet when it comes to some of the stuff I do in training. They just stare and go "But why?". I have no answer for them :)

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

StayGrey wrote:
J-Madd wrote:I did Duku-Duku x 12 with a 55lbs kettlebell once. I'll admit that I have no desire to try Snake Eater's Delite. I'm a bit of wimp about sleep!
Seriously? How was it? Any tips? The idea of lugging around that KB while sprinting up and down a hill without putting it down sounds like sheer hell.
Reading it on paper, I was expecting it to be a real horror show, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be (though certainly no picnic). I find a really tough Apex session (15+ rounds with the 48KG) is harder. I shouldered the KB when running up the hill, which really took the grip factor out. The next time I try it, I'll give a 70lbs KB a try.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Haha, admittedly the first time I read Snake Eater's Delight I was about halfway through when I said hell yeah, someday. Then K.B. said only the crazy would like it... :lol:
All the other challenges I said "someday", but snake eater was where I drew the line. The next one I want to try is "Burpees for the Mentally Disturbed." I doubt I can pull it off, but it's worth going down swinging.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

StayGrey wrote:Yeah, my family and some of my more vanilla friends think I'm from another planet when it comes to some of the stuff I do in training. They just stare and go "But why?". I have no answer for them :)
Some of the bodybuilders and powerlifters look at me horrified when I tell them about some of the sessions in TB2. "Why would you do that to yourself" seems to be the prevailing questions to the conditioning sessions.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

The hill I do most of sprints on is on a street adjacent to the campus where I teach -- you can see it in the Apex videos I posted with my Apex article at TB.com. When I first started using that hill for workouts several years ago, it caused a lot of gawking attention form students and colleagues: "What the hell is Prof. Madden doing?" Now seeing me do stupid shit on that hill is just a common fixture in the community that is barely called to notice: "Oh never mind, that's just Prof Madden doing his stuff." In one of the videos you can actually see one of my colleagues drive past as I causaully say "Hi Pat" mid swing.

By the way, I often ponder the irony that across the parking lot of that hill is a multi-million dollar facility the college just built, because our students "didn't have a place to exercise." :lol:

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

J-Madd wrote:
StayGrey wrote:
Reading it on paper, I was expecting it to be a real horror show, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be (though certainly no picnic). I find a really tough Apex session (15+ rounds with the 48KG) is harder. I shouldered the KB when running up the hill, which really took the grip factor out. The next time I try it, I'll give a 70lbs KB a try.
I can see shouldering it making it a little easier....but still. Apex does seem like a natural build-up to Duku.