Number of exercises for SE during BB

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Tyr0331

Number of exercises for SE during BB

Post by Tyr0331 »

How many exercises in a cluster do you recommend for the SE portion of the base building block? I ran it strength first so when I switch back to SE for the last three weeks I have two days a week to fill up in place of the max strength days. In the book it only says the number of circuitsxreps. As of now I'm already using the alpha template for one day a week in place of one of my endurance days.

Is it really necessary to replace the strength days with SE during base building? I understand it's building cardio up, but I'm training BJJ three days a week and now one kickboxing/mma day. I already have to fit one two-a-day per week to get in both strength days, a good endurance day, and the one SE alpha template day. Just anticipating overtraining with all that extra endurance training and no strength. Let me know what your thoughts are on this.

TangoZero

Re: Number of exercises for SE during BB

Post by TangoZero »

Tyr0331 wrote:How many exercises in a cluster do you recommend for the SE portion of the base building block? I ran it strength first so when I switch back to SE for the last three weeks I have two days a week to fill up in place of the max strength days. In the book it only says the number of circuitsxreps. As of now I'm already using the alpha template for one day a week in place of one of my endurance days.

Is it really necessary to replace the strength days with SE during base building? I understand it's building cardio up, but I'm training BJJ three days a week and now one kickboxing/mma day. I already have to fit one two-a-day per week to get in both strength days, a good endurance day, and the one SE alpha template day. Just anticipating overtraining with all that extra endurance training and no strength. Let me know what your thoughts are on this.
I wouldn't recommend more than 5 exercises in your SE cluster.

SE isn't primarily for cardio. It's for muscular-endurance.

SE is optional. You can run Base with strength all the way through if you want. If you want to keep a little SE in the mix, use Bangkok and do one day a week of tango, alpha or bravo circuits.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TangoZero wrote:
Tyr0331 wrote:How many exercises in a cluster do you recommend for the SE portion of the base building block? I ran it strength first so when I switch back to SE for the last three weeks I have two days a week to fill up in place of the max strength days. In the book it only says the number of circuitsxreps. As of now I'm already using the alpha template for one day a week in place of one of my endurance days.

I wouldn't recommend more than 5 exercises in your SE cluster.

SE is optional. You can run Base with strength all the way through if you want. If you want to keep a little SE in the mix, use Bangkok and do one day a week of tango, alpha or bravo circuits.
I've picked 7 exercises for my BB and I hated myself for that. Well.. sometimes feeling hate can be beneficial but it wasn't the case :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

TangoZero wrote:I wouldn't recommend more than 5 exercises in your SE cluster.

Yeah now that I look back on some reading of the fighter chapter, looks like I am using the Bangkok version. I will most likely stick with the way it is then since I think I will feel the best this way. Would you recommend replacing my E day with an HIC the last three weeks? Only have one gym-based E day. Row-run-row triple

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Tyr0331 wrote:

Yeah now that I look back on some reading of the fighter chapter, looks like I am using the Bangkok version. I will most likely stick with the way it is then since I think I will feel the best this way. Would you recommend replacing my E day with an HIC the last three weeks? Only have one gym-based E day. Row-run-row triple
I'm not sure what you mean. You're running Base right? You should be doing 2-3 HICs or 2-3 Es per week depending on what week you're on. I'd just go with the template for conditioning, and match it up with the corresponding week.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

TangoZero wrote:
Tyr0331 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. You're running Base right? You should be doing 2-3 HICs or 2-3 Es per week depending on what week you're on. I'd just go with the template for conditioning, and match it up with the corresponding week.
Well according to the BB template, from weeks 6-8 it replaces two of the endurance days with HIC days. Since I'm only actually doing one LSS endurance session per week and I don't plan on subbing out any of my martial arts training, with accounts for most my endurance days, I was debating if I should swap out that one LSS endurance day that I'm doing for an HIC day. Or just keep the LSS since the MA training im doing is more or less like an HIC session.

Obviously I'm not following the BB template how it's outlined, but there isn't much about how to program in MA during BB, except that it's not recommended

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I agree. I wouldn't do more than 5 and even 4 would be fine. If I had to choose, I would just go with bodyweight and I would use a push, pull, leg, hinge, and core. I'd probably use old stand-bys like push-ups, pull-ups or bodyweight rows, squats or lunges, KB swings or 1-legged bodyweight RDLs, and sit-ups or leg raises.

End of the day, keep it simple. Do the minimum, but really focus on those few exercises during your SE portion.

H.C.

Post by H.C. »

Tyr0331 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:48 am How many exercises in a cluster do you recommend for the SE portion of the base building block?
As many or as few as you need to. :D

Examples:

Analogous movements:
MS - SE
Bench - push up/hindu push up
Squat - bodyweight squat/hindu squat/lunges/step ups/split squat
Pull up - seated pull up/lats pulldown

Other plane of motion movements:
MS - SE
Bench - DB/KB press/dips
Squat - DB/KB Romanian Deadlift/Swing/Back Extension/Reverse Hyper/Hip Thruster/Bridge
Pull Up - bodyweight row/renegade row

Can add some core after your push/pull/legs, eg sit up.