Operator + Black review

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Corax

Operator + Black review

Post by Corax »

Hi everyone,

Cluster: Squat / Bench / Weighted chin-up / Deadlift (1x per week, 3 work sets – no chin-ups on that day), used a 90% TM
HIC: Meat Eater II, Airdyne + swings (see indoor apex thread)
E: every two weeks I did a 12km run (didn’t push it too hard)

My first six-week block, I still struggled to find my groove with training and diet. You may remember my thread on Reddit where I complained about muscle loss. After base building, my continuation protocol was Operator and Black Pro. I still didn’t feel optimal during week 5 of my first block and quit. I decided to go back to the drawing board and switch things up. I have a decent amount of training experience and know when things are off. I felt like it wasn’t worth it to continue the way I was.

What I settled on for my next 6-week block:

Diet: more protein, more fat and LESS carbs . Honestly, I think I got overboard with them and decided to lower my carb intake (I’m still well over 200gr per day). Other than that, I kept things simple: 4 big meals a day and usually a snack (fruit) between breakfast and lunch.
Training: kept the same cluster but switched to Black. So E every two weeks. So it was 2 HIC during the week, GC or E on Saturday. The standard OP + Black template from the book. GC: Brig Rat (swapped squats for military press).

Things went better … a lot. Seems like everything fell into place and I ended up having a great training block. I got tired during week 6, but that’s to be expected. Didn’t miss workouts (some were less than optimal, but nothing too bad), meals or sleep.

Results:
Squat: +25 pounds
Bench: +10 pounds
Deadlift: +30 pounds
Weighted chin-ups: +20 pounds

I got my muscle back, without adding fat. The biggest surprise was the deadlift increase. I couldn’t lift more than 440 for a very long time and now I lifted 475. Finally got my sights on 500 WHILE having great conditioning! I wonder whether it's the program itself or the fact that I’m doing swings 2 times a week too? It’s almost universal, but I think my bench will be more stubborn than the rest. I’m doing lots of burpees too (Meat Eater and Brig Rat), so maybe I’ll have to do something about that in the future. My E sessions feel BETTER with running every two weeks instead of every week, that was very unexpected too.

Very happy with my results. I’m taking the rest of the week off and start my next block on Monday. I’ll keep everything the same for now. Why change a winning team, right?

EDIT: forgot to add that I didn't use a TM during my first 5 weeks, but decided on using one for my second block.

Im6-7

Re: Operator + Black review

Post by Im6-7 »

Don't know how I missed this post, well done!

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

Corax wrote: Results:

I got my muscle back, without adding fat. The biggest surprise was the deadlift increase. I couldn’t lift more than 440 for a very long time and now I lifted 475. Finally got my sights on 500 WHILE having great conditioning! I wonder whether it's the program itself or the fact that I’m doing swings 2 times a week too? It’s almost universal, but I think my bench will be more stubborn than the rest. I’m doing lots of burpees too (Meat Eater and Brig Rat), so maybe I’ll have to do something about that in the future. My E sessions feel BETTER with running every two weeks instead of every week, that was very unexpected too.

Very happy with my results. I’m taking the rest of the week off and start my next block on Monday. I’ll keep everything the same for now. Why change a winning team, right?

EDIT: forgot to add that I didn't use a TM during my first 5 weeks, but decided on using one for my second block.
I missed this too, great job...those are some big jumps. The DL increase is probably a combination of things, one being that squatting 3 x week also strengthens the muscles, movers and stabilizers that work the deadlift.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Corax wrote:Hi everyone,

Cluster: Squat / Bench / Weighted chin-up / Deadlift (1x per week, 3 work sets – no chin-ups on that day), used a 90% TM
HIC: Meat Eater II, Airdyne + swings (see indoor apex thread)
E: every two weeks I did a 12km run (didn’t push it too hard)

My first six-week block, I still struggled to find my groove with training and diet. You may remember my thread on Reddit where I complained about muscle loss. After base building, my continuation protocol was Operator and Black Pro. I still didn’t feel optimal during week 5 of my first block and quit. I decided to go back to the drawing board and switch things up. I have a decent amount of training experience and know when things are off. I felt like it wasn’t worth it to continue the way I was.

What I settled on for my next 6-week block:

Diet: more protein, more fat and LESS carbs . Honestly, I think I got overboard with them and decided to lower my carb intake (I’m still well over 200gr per day). Other than that, I kept things simple: 4 big meals a day and usually a snack (fruit) between breakfast and lunch.
Training: kept the same cluster but switched to Black. So E every two weeks. So it was 2 HIC during the week, GC or E on Saturday. The standard OP + Black template from the book. GC: Brig Rat (swapped squats for military press).

Things went better … a lot. Seems like everything fell into place and I ended up having a great training block. I got tired during week 6, but that’s to be expected. Didn’t miss workouts (some were less than optimal, but nothing too bad), meals or sleep.

Results:

For me I always have the best increases when I use a training max. I always stall out after 2-3 weeks if I go with a true max.
That deadlift increase is excellent :D I may have to add the once a week deadlift back in when I do OP I/A in the future.
I always just use weighted pullups, but people are getting great results.
A cycle or two of similar and you will hit the 500 no problem :D

Corax

Post by Corax »

Ten8 wrote:
I missed this too, great job...those are some big jumps. The DL increase is probably a combination of things, one being that squatting 3 x week also strengthens the muscles, movers and stabilizers that work the deadlift.
Thanks! Yep, that's possible too. Doesn't even matter, I'm happy.

Corax

Post by Corax »

Maxrip13 wrote:
For me I always have the best increases when I use a training max. I always stall out after 2-3 weeks if I go with a true max.
That deadlift increase is excellent :D I may have to add the once a week deadlift back in when I do OP I/A in the future.
I always just use weighted pullups, but people are getting great results.
A cycle or two of similar and you will hit the 500 no problem :D
When I saw my numbers on paper when I set up my first block, I knew I was probably going to struggle during the last weeks but tried it anyway. Using a TM is the way to go for me. I'll see what happens and in the future I'd like to try a block without deadlifts too, as many people on the forum have great results either way. I do have to say that deadlifting doesn't cost me that much recovery-wise.

I think it's really weird TB doesn't get more love and isn't more known. I stumbled across the program by coincidence (a post on the StrongFirst forum), I hadn't heard of it before that. Maybe because it isn't geared towards muscle building? Because it doesn't use aggressive marketing (which I REALLY like, btw)?

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Corax wrote: I think it's really weird TB doesn't get more love and isn't more known. I stumbled across the program by coincidence (a post on the StrongFirst forum), I hadn't heard of it before that. Maybe because it isn't geared towards muscle building? Because it doesn't use aggressive marketing (which I REALLY like, btw)?
1. TB is brand spanking new (2015, possibly late 2014? I think).

2. Lack of marketing, no youtube channel, no twitter, no facebook. Which I tend to agree is a breath of fresh air.

3. The intended clientele (hardcore tactical community) doesn't have a large online presence in comparison to other groups, like general fitness enthusiasts.

In my circles, TB is already far more popular than Sealfit, MA, SOFlete, Stew Smith and other tactical fitness programs.

Congrats on your progress btw, outstanding! I agree, a trg max has no downside.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aelian wrote: Lack of marketing, no youtube channel, no twitter, no facebook.
This is one of the main reasons I like it a lot. Seriously.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Aelian wrote:
Corax wrote: I think it's really weird TB doesn't get more love and isn't more known. I stumbled across the program by coincidence (a post on the StrongFirst forum), I hadn't heard of it before that. Maybe because it isn't geared towards muscle building? Because it doesn't use aggressive marketing (which I REALLY like, btw)?
1. TB is brand spanking new (2015, possibly late 2014? I think).

2. Lack of marketing, no youtube channel, no twitter, no facebook. Which I tend to agree is a breath of fresh air.

3. The intended clientele (hardcore tactical community) doesn't have a large online presence in comparison to other groups, like general fitness enthusiasts.

In my circles, TB is already far more popular than Sealfit, MA, SOFlete, Stew Smith and other tactical fitness programs.

Congrats on your progress btw, outstanding! I agree, a trg max has no downside.
I would say that the popularity is due to the fact you can train hard , but also be able to do your work. To be honest I think this is where a lot of programs fall over and TB succeeds the most.I have followed some of the programming above and while I get extremely fit, I just feel that I am always in a state of recovering. I already know how to train hard, but what I always need to be reminded of is to train smart.

If I am honest with myself, I knew that everything in TB was what I needed to do from looking back in my own training journals, but the book packages it nicely and is a good reminder of how to progress long term. I am sure I will occasionally train in another way for 6-8 week periods, using some of the programs you mention above again, but I always find myself coming back to the steady TB Operator/Fighter progression mixed with HIC and LSD. Outside of specific selection prep it is all you need.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

As someone coming from the sports/S&C coaching side of things, I'll add my .02. Bear in mind I have no military or policing experience.

Training in professional/competitive sports and activities leans more towards "building". On the other hand, my (limited) experience with many "tactical fitness" programs is the opposite. It seems every workout is like a contest designed to tear you down. Maximum intensity, maximum drive, every session. "Harder" is deemed "better" regardless of whether or not you actually improve the quality being trained. While there is a necessity for brief periods of high intensity trg to build mental toughness & specific qualities (ex. lactate threshold tolerance), to do it year-round as general training is unsustainable. Add to that, certain physical qualities simply can't be improved using that approach. Case in point, maximal-strength and aerobic capacity. Two heavy hitters in the S&C world.

TB is unique in that it is the very first "tactical" fitness program I've seen that bridges the gap between building and tearing down. These building-up programs exist (and are par for the course) in the athletic/sports world...Tudor Bompa, Charlie Francis, Joel Jamieson. You'll never see paid athletes using Crossfit to prepare for their sport. If they do it'll be for a brief period of time, for GPP.

Again, take this with the caveat that I have zero tactical experience!