Smith machines: how bad are they?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Caleddin

Smith machines: how bad are they?

Post by Caleddin »

I've been using the gym in the basement of the building where I work, which has limited me in a few ways. While there are benches, there is no barbell and no squat rack. Only a smith machine and an EZcurl bar.

I'd read a few places that smith machines limit your movement, which can isolate what you actually get to improve on, which can cause injuries down the road. My current way around this has been to use the ezcurl for OHP rather than BP and Zercher squats rather than back squats for a Fighter cluster of Zercher/OHP/PU/DL.

And I've loved it! OHP is fun, and I've grown to really love how much zerchers work you over. But as I finish up this block, I've started wondering if I should switch to BP and back squat for the next block. Normally I'd assume it's a great idea if it weren't for the fact that both changes would require using the smith machine over free weights.

So I'd love to hear people's thoughts on how detrimental that could actually be. I know the smith machine gets demonized a lot, but I'm not sure how much of that is based on evidence and how much is based on the general dislike of using any sort of "machine" over free weights. I'm also not sure if alternating blocks means zerchers would shore up any weakness in stability that I might get from using a smith machine to squat.

Barkadion

Re: Smith machines: how bad are they?

Post by Barkadion »

"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

I think that instead of unilaterally and completely demonizing any singular piece of equipment, it is context of what you do and how you do it that matters more.

If you're purely working only on the Smith machine, it's gonna be bad news, and what the industry says will probably come to pass (imbalances and whatever).

However; if you're only using the SM as an assistance - then you're probably gonna be fine.

In your context, no amount of switching exercises will undo the fact that you're purely using a SM to replace the barbell movements.

Caleddin

Post by Caleddin »

That makes a lot of sense. I think as long as I am doing Fighter I will need to stick to whatever free weights I can get my hands on. Maybe if I switch to another MS schedule like Op or Zulu I can add in the smith machine as assistance work, or I can work it into an SE cluster.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

If it's all you have available, use it. Not as good as a barbell for obvious reason - but smith machine training is superior to "no training".

The USCG Cutter I served on only had a smith machine. I used it exclusively over a 6-9 month deployments and got bigger and stronger than I have ever been.

One thing that I learned during that period of my life is that training, eating and sleeping conditions are almost never going to be optimal. Strong people will do what they can to get better with whatever is available.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Sasquatch wrote:One thing that I learned during that period of my life is that training, eating and sleeping conditions are almost never going to be optimal. Strong people will do what they can to get better with whatever is available.
Very well said.

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

J-Madd wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:One thing that I learned during that period of my life is that training, eating and sleeping conditions are almost never going to be optimal. Strong people will do what they can to get better with whatever is available.
Very well said.
Yes, as is this:
Sasquatch wrote:If it's all you have available, use it. Not as good as a barbell for obvious reason - but smith machine training is superior to "no training".

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Interesting..

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-m ... in-the-gym

"Zydrunas Savickas, also known as "Big Z", is a four-time World's Strongest Man champion and eight-time Arnold Classic strongman champion. He does high-incline Smith machine presses and says it's his favorite movement for shoulders."
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Caleddin

Post by Caleddin »

Yeah, I think I'll try to use the machine, but not rely on it. So I may take my 2/week Fighter template and one day do deadlifts, with some dips and/or dumbbell fly/press as assistance. The other day when I should rest from DL (I think, I'll see how I feel about 1/week versus 2/week for them) I can do a smith-machine bench press and do some sort of hinge assistance work like KB swings.