After 40 club

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Re: After 40 club

Post by Barkadion »

The Aging Athlete: Inspirational Interviews With Some of The Survivors of Elite Athleticism by Sifu Slim.
Kindle Edition for $0.99

https://www.amazon.com/Aging-Athlete-In ... B00OPEQ7PY
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

Really looking forward to the book , it seems ideal for my high mileage carcass . Is there a decision on what formats your book will be published in ? If its paper copy I will need to save my pennies , postage and the additional taxes will probably more than double the cost

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Gerryatric wrote:Really looking forward to the book , it seems ideal for my high mileage carcass . Is there a decision on what formats your book will be published in ? If its paper copy I will need to save my pennies , postage and the additional taxes will probably more than double the cost
The book will definitely be available electronically, and probably in hard copy too.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:But I don't see it as being pessimistic. Acceptance is a virtue ;)
I didn't mean to say that you are being pessimistic at all. I couldn't agree more that acceptance is a virtue. Steeping yourself in illusion is senseless. The question is what exactly do we need to accept and when.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:The question is what exactly do we need to accept and when.
Absolutely :!: Completely agree.

"Generally speaking, the Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death."
-Musashi Miyamoto

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

J-Madd wrote:
Gerryatric wrote:Really looking forward to the book , it seems ideal for my high mileage carcass . Is there a decision on what formats your book will be published in ? If its paper copy I will need to save my pennies , postage and the additional taxes will probably more than double the cost
The book will definitely be available electronically, and probably in hard copy too.
Cheers mate I think I will get a lot out your work particularly how to train taking into account the mileage ,injuries etc
The war horse template will be the first one I check out

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Barkadion wrote:The Aging Athlete: Inspirational Interviews With Some of The Survivors of Elite Athleticism by Sifu Slim.
Kindle Edition for $0.99
Cool find, thanks.

Dietary needs do change with age, so it is good that JMadd has that in the TOC. Those may affect conditioning, so again good it is also in the TOC. Plus psychological aspects differ with whether we are climbing (don't worry, you can do more) or descending (maybe you need to find another way to try to do more). It looks like JMadd has that bit covered. Progressions and progression approaches change with whether we are climbing or descending the molehill. Our body's response to training changes with our training history. There is more to it than simply doing less. I think this is a difficult topic in a way because the experiences are so dispersed. The best I can find with respect to strength, outside of my own experiences, is some scattered writings of those few masters powerlifters or those who work with them. There aren't many of those. I have no idea what is available for masters endurance athletes, probably more than for lifters. I'm hoping JMadd has access to some good input from over the hill (not simply older) tactical or multi-domain athletes. I also hope there are some patterns to that input. If others have figured some things out maybe I won't make as many mistakes trying to. Remember too that listening to our bodies can have some error.

Nobody should expect any author to have THE ANSWER but if JMadd provides some of the missing pieces of the puzzle, it will be a really good thing.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aelian wrote:Hahaha....The discussion is around training standards as you age, not "life or death".
Haha :lol: No, it is not. Well, it depends on personal attitude.

I'd say it is more like "life and death"

Or even "death as a life"

What is aging, anyway? I'd say that the answer will dictate personal training standards ;)

As J-MADD said " The question is what exactly do we need to accept and when."

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Rip on programming related to the aging..

http://startingstrength.com/training/mo ... or-geezers

"This case demonstrates the ability of the octagenarian/nonagenarian to respond to training stimuli with improvements in strength and other fitness parameters, and illustrates how a classic novice program and exercise selection can be tailored to the limitations and needs of the individual athlete, with enormous potential to increase fitness, decrease frailty, and improve the quality of life of our most venerable and treasured fellow citizens."

BJJ

Post by BJJ »

JMadd,

Sorry if I missed it. Is there an expected release date for the book?

I am a mid 40s Tactical Barbell newbie and I feel like this book is going to be really helpful.

Best of luck with the project!