After 40 club

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TBPenguin

Re: After 40 club

Post by TBPenguin »

1) You don't need to worry about it from a recovery issue. You might be want to try something more challenging on the other moves next time through.

2) Just use week 7 as a deload, enjoy the time off. You can probably do week 7 on return.

cwdell

Post by cwdell »

Thanks TBP... not in love with more challenging moves (I'm in week 5 now and it's plenty challenging in its totality), but I take your point! When I do basebuilding again in the fall, I'll look to level up some of the easier moves. And yeah, got similar advice on week 7 from another AA'er. In deference to the long game, I think I'll just repeat week 6, as it will give me 4 full weeks to get my max strength movements up to speed before switching to operator I/A. Cheers! -C

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

cwdell wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:51 pm Thanks TBP... not in love with more challenging moves (I'm in week 5 now and it's plenty challenging in its totality), but I take your point! When I do basebuilding again in the fall, I'll look to level up some of the easier moves.
Yeah, that's why I wrote "the next time through." Best not to change much of anything mid-block.

Your approach sounds good! Predict you will be successful.

Michel

Post by Michel »

Hello. 44 years old this year, I want to try tactical barbell. The operator template 3 days week is fine? No changes on the workout?
Thanks.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Michel wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:32 am Hello. 44 years old this year, I want to try tactical barbell. The operator template 3 days week is fine? No changes on the workout?
Thanks.
You'll be fine. Suggest using a training max to start, and don't modify or expand the template.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Good article from Elitefts:

How to Not Get Injured While Training Over 50

https://www.elitefts.com/education/how- ... g-over-50/
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Good share Bark.

The one thing that I never see in these kinds of articles is any discussion of how the body changes over time. 40 - 45 was only slightly different than the 30s. But early 60s is much different than early 50s, and from what I've gathered, some other big changes come after.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:17 pm Good share Bark.

The one thing that I never see in these kinds of articles is any discussion of how the body changes over time. 40 - 45 was only slightly different than the 30s. But early 60s is much different than early 50s, and from what I've gathered, some other big changes come after.
Very true. Being at 53 I realize that mid 40-s was an easy stroll.. Especially when it comes to recovery, injury and then some..

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Barkadion wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:40 am
Very true. Being at 53 I realize that mid 40-s was an easy stroll.. Especially when it comes to recovery, injury and then some..
Not intending to discourage you, but the later changes are "different." They take different adjustments than just scaling back, in fact some require what feels like scaling up in some regards.

Ya know, this has become one long old thread!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:05 am
Barkadion wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:40 am
Not intending to discourage you, but the later changes are "different." They take different adjustments than just scaling back, in fact some require what feels like scaling up in some regards.

Ya know, this has become one long old thread!
I’d think you mean strength/muscle maintenance by “scaling up” in a sense of different approach to lifting volume and exercise selections. Well I do find myself in stubborn mode trying to pretend I can keep increasing my TM from block to block like good old times. Well…