After 40 club

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

After 40 club

Post by Barkadion »

It seems that there are friends here who are pushing 40. It does change the training game and it brings some new bits and pieces into the picture.I am 46 and I know what I am talking about.

How about having After 40 club? It can really help us to get more out of training. Sharing, discussing, encouraging, getting better sort of things..

Thoughts?
8-)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Re: After 40 club

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

:lol: I was just thinking about a reply to you on another thread about this........

I'm 45, just turned....... I think it would be a great thing........ A Master's thread almost :D

Some of the things I have noticed over the last few years:

- Injuries take longer to recover from [I can no longer 'run' through the pain and expect to fully recover]
- Warming Up and Cooling down are a huge benefit..... although I do still Train 'Cold' every now and again [time constraints, or just 'cause]
- Numbers and PR's are not the primary focus..... If I move well, I lift relatively heavy and I can do so consistently trumps all....although, I love the deadlift and am aiming for a 500# lift within my 45th year
- Age is just a number, for sure..... but it can also factor into your physical abilities..... I may not have this 'adulting' thing down pat, but I have learnt to listen to my body.
- Being Consistent is the aim
- Heart Health / aerobic work is becoming more of a feature for me personally rather than 20 minute HI work.....although they still feature on a regular basis, I have come to realise that longer 'easier' sessions have and should have a place in anyone's tool box.

There's more, but that'll do for now.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

mtguy1976

Post by mtguy1976 »

I'll be 40 in a couple weeks and I look forward to it. It brings different challenges and having to be more open minded about wokouts. I too agree with ^^^ statements. I'm down with a masters thread

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote::lol: I was just thinking about a reply to you on another thread about this........

I'm 45, just turned....... I think it would be a great thing........ A Master's thread almost :D

Some of the things I have noticed over the last few years:

- Injuries take longer to recover from [I can no longer 'run' through the pain and expect to fully recover]
- Warming Up and Cooling down are a huge benefit..... although I do still Train 'Cold' every now and again [time constraints, or just 'cause]
- Numbers and PR's are not the primary focus..... If I move well, I lift relatively heavy and I can do so consistently trumps all....although, I love the deadlift and am aiming for a 500# lift within my 45th year
- Age is just a number, for sure..... but it can also factor into your physical abilities..... I may not have this 'adulting' thing down pat, but I have learnt to listen to my body.
- Being Consistent is the aim
- Heart Health / aerobic work is becoming more of a feature for me personally rather than 20 minute HI work.....although they still feature on a regular basis, I have come to realise that longer 'easier' sessions have and should have a place in anyone's tool box.

There's more, but that'll do for now.
Thank you!

THLE, I can say "Yes" to all your points! What became more important for me once I hit 40s is the ability to be in the training by training smart, safe and injury free. This is my priority#1.
Also, I have learned the feeling of appreciation. We should appreciate and respect our effort!

I feel that the club will be great way of improving ourselves.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

mtguy1976 wrote:I'll be 40 in a couple weeks and I look forward to it. It brings different challenges and having to be more open minded about wokouts. I too agree with ^^^ statements. I'm down with a masters thread
Great!

AndyGog

Post by AndyGog »

44 here. Novice level, although I've been hurting myself with barbells for a year or so. Hope I can join the club to benefit from all your experience.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

AndyGog wrote:44 here. Novice level, although I've been hurting myself with barbells for a year or so. Hope I can join the club to benefit from all your experience.
Hi Andy! We are all novices one way or another :D

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

43 yo here. I'm as strong as I've ever been (though that's not saying much as my strength levels aren't great). And I'm fit and feel good. Yep, over 40 brings a different approach but it's also fun to outdo the younger ones sometimes. :-)

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

mikhou wrote:43 yo here. I'm as strong as I've ever been (though that's not saying much as my strength levels aren't great). And I'm fit and feel good. Yep, over 40 brings a different approach but it's also fun to outdo the younger ones sometimes. :-)
haha.. old dogs can still bite! :D

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

This is pretty far afield from TB principles, but Ross raises some very interesting ideas here and I think they are relevant to more seasoned trainees like ourselves:

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2015/06/24 ... is-a-goal/

I actually do my base-building phase in a something like this unstructured style.

McCallum's series "The Fountain of Youth" is very interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Keys-Pr ... o+progress

He advocates a lot of LSS running, and what looks like a high tempo-circuit style of training for an older trainee.