After 40 club

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Adski

Re: After 40 club

Post by Adski »

TBPenguin wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:41 am
Adski wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:26 pm Working amongst a bunch of 40+ y/o, just my observation, there’s many that still perform 1-3 HIC style sessions a week, it depends on what the rest of their training entails however. Most that strength train 2-3 times a week may do one to two HICs while others that have little interest in strength work typically get away with more HIC training. MAS training in terms is of recovery seems to work well with almost any age bracket, depending on how it’s programmed. For those that still actively compete in sports that want some form of HIC that feel may have slowed recovery, MAS training could be a viable option. The same could be said for shorter “sprint” work on non impact cardio machines such as an Airbike or even hill sprints to a degree.
This being said everyone should listen to their bodies and structure their programming accordingly, even with specific goals in mind.
Just thought I would add my 2c after reading some of the recent comments.
That's worth at least 3c! I think you are right, too. The main thing for me is duration (or number of repeats) on these.
You make a very good point, I probably should clarify, not each HIC that I’ve seen or done with the people in this crowd are red lining each session, typically it’s 1-2 sessions which might be like that but the volume or duration will be low, whereas if someone does something along the lines of a Ross style fast and furious session or 600m repeats as an example that would only typically be done once a week. Again that’s a very good way of putting it, duration and volume definitely need to be considered!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

godjira1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:11 pm This is actually a basic tenet of TB that I have discarded - I do ZERO HIC. A light mobility session goes much further in terms of aiding the rest of my training program (the MS, E, BJJ). Something worth tinkering with.
I am not in the 40+ group yet, but consider myself 40+ in terms off training age. I ended up in a similar place with my training.

Strength, BJJ and LSS (in that order) with minimal HIC even on the mats. It's very sustainable training wise.

One thing I do have to say is if your life involves sprinting, you should mix a little in. This applies especially if you have to do it load bearing. I made the mistake of ignoring this and ended up sprinting so hard that I gave myself whiplash and nerve damage :lol:
The pace was still there, but the body wasn't used to managing that type of activity. It's definitely a perishable skill.

Phildo1978

Post by Phildo1978 »

Non standard cluster

For my last few cycles I have been using kettlebells double c&p 2-3-5 ladders) split squats and weighted chin ups.(operator black)

Was thinking of running Zulu I/A style with day 1 same as before day 2 being bench , ssb squat ,kettlebell swings as per ageless athlete

Thoughts and opinions of the pros and con's of having two different squat movements per cluster would be appreciated

44 years old . recreational lifter so dont have any physical tests/standards I need to maintain or hit

Thanks

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Phildo1978 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:13 am
Thoughts and opinions of the pros and con's of having two different squat movements per cluster would be appreciated
One of the central ideas behind TB programs is the higher frequency, and Zulu is already at the minimum. So this would kind of negate the benefits. I have simply changed squat variation from block to block, and that works fine.

Phildo1978

Post by Phildo1978 »

Thanks for the reply. I'll maybe just go with split squats and trap bar deadlift for a block , as wanting to work on some imbalances I seem to have which I only noticed when I began split squats.

Thanks

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Phildo1978 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:13 am Non standard cluster

For my last few cycles I have been using kettlebells double c&p 2-3-5 ladders) split squats and weighted chin ups.(operator black)

Was thinking of running Zulu I/A style with day 1 same as before day 2 being bench , ssb squat ,kettlebell swings as per ageless athlete

44 years old . recreational lifter so dont have any physical tests/standards I need to maintain or hit

Thanks
If I was going to do something like that I would do fighter bangkok and use a variety of squat movements on my SE day. I still like to squat 2x a week minimum. Squatting once a week makes every squat session feel like the old school "leg day". When you squat sub max frequently, you just seem to recover much better and improve without having to do those "leg day " type sessions.

I try and use a variety of different squat movements to warm up to get some variety.

MMC1979

Post by MMC1979 »

hi all, this is my first post. A friend got me Ageless Athlete which got me looking into this. Love the multidimensional and flexible approach

A bit about me:
* 43, busy sedentary job.
* Been lifting on and off for years (currently struggling to get back to this after near two year hiatus).
* BJJ for 7 years (on hiatus as my wife is being treated for cancer, she's doing well and outlook is good)
* I'm often stiff as a board from sitting at a desk all day, and find that I need to incorporate 15 to 30 mins a day yoga/mobility to manage this- without it, I'm prone to tweaking my back.

I'm 3 weeks into Base Build, using a stationary bike 2-3x a week. I also walk our 3 year old lab 45 to 60 mins a day. S/E cluster is fairly minimal, Tango (Pushups, Split Squats, bicycle crunches and KB Swings)

I'm finding it hard to fit it all into a 7 day training week. I'm almost certainly not eating enough as well.

I've used the search function and can't find anything on this, so my question is this:

Has anybody here used an alternative to the 7 Day Training week? For example, 8, 9, 10 Day Training Week.

thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to read this post- I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience on here.

M

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

MMC1979 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:09 am hi all, this is my first post. A friend got me Ageless Athlete which got me looking into this. Love the multidimensional and flexible approach

A bit about me:
* 43, busy sedentary job.
* Been lifting on and off for years (currently struggling to get back to this after near two year hiatus).
* BJJ for 7 years (on hiatus as my wife is being treated for cancer, she's doing well and outlook is good)
* I'm often stiff as a board from sitting at a desk all day, and find that I need to incorporate 15 to 30 mins a day yoga/mobility to manage this- without it, I'm prone to tweaking my back.

I'm 3 weeks into Base Build, using a stationary bike 2-3x a week. I also walk our 3 year old lab 45 to 60 mins a day. S/E cluster is fairly minimal, Tango (Pushups, Split Squats, bicycle crunches and KB Swings)

I'm finding it hard to fit it all into a 7 day training week. I'm almost certainly not eating enough as well.

I've used the search function and can't find anything on this, so my question is this:

Has anybody here used an alternative to the 7 Day Training week? For example, 8, 9, 10 Day Training Week.

thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to read this post- I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience on here.

M
Hi MMC1979,

Welcome to the forum. I am 53 yo and I have been training with 9 days week schedule for a while.
Day 1 - Lifting
Day 2 - Conditioning
Day 3 - Rest
Repeat.
Something like that. Sometimes I skip rest day if I feel like it. Sometimes I drop conditioning on easy week. TB training can be customized depending on your personal situation. Just follow it’s principles. Also, look on big picture and think long time meaning years of continuous training. Just try and see what is working for you. Good luck!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

MMC1979

Post by MMC1979 »

Thank you Barkadion.

cwdell

Post by cwdell »

Hey folks, great thread here, and I'm very much "in the club" as I turn 46 in a few months. As background, I'd been doing ST for a year and a half following a short 10-year break (doh) with high regularity. Hit a wall over the summer and started work with a scheduling trainer (i have a small gym in my home with a Tonal trainer), but ultimately found my performance (specifically skiing and MTB trail riding) didn't improve all that much. It was clear to me that I was stronger from my strength training but that my aerobic/anaerobic endurance was way lacking. I picked up TB II, III, and AA early this year and devoured them. Started BB as Jim lays it out and am almost through week 4.

I have a couple questions:

1. 30min LSS is a joy, but this SE work has been... interesting. My movements are pushups (strict form), pull-throughs, air squats, inverse rows and sprinter crunches, all AMRAP 60seconds. The pushups and inverse rows are always to failure wherein I need a quick break; the others I've been able to complete and even increase reps without a pause. I get that not working to failure applies only to max strength work, NOT to SE, but might I be overdoing it on those two moves at the expense of others? Over-taxing my recovery? It's too late to turn back, but as someone who gains confidence from understanding the "why", I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts on a balanced circuit (like, all reps almost to failure) vs "just do it and shut up, it'll be fine". I plan to do at least two BB rounds each year, so having confidence in that aspect of programming is important to me.

2. Of more immediate concern, I'm travelling during week 7 of the program, which calls for 2x HIC and 2x Max Strength. Zero chance I'll have access to a weight room, plus i'll be doing some hiking and a couple days of skiing. I know there's no single right answer, and that the program is flexible, just curious to hear my peers' takes on what they would do: repeat week 6, or squeeze in the HIC (which is doable, if not ideal) and start week 8 when i get back, maybe something else...

Thanks everyone!
-cwdell