Alternative Base Build Results (Simple and sinister + Fighter Pullup Program + LSD)

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Maxrip13

Re: Alternative Base Build Results (Simple and sinister + Fighter Pullup Program + LSD)

Post by Maxrip13 »

alottadav wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Gerryatric wrote:Thanks for this after a few false starts I will give your plan a go in the new year
It really was one of the best mesocycles I have ever done, but those pullups were really becoming hard to finish with good form. I will definitely be revisiting it in the future. To finally hit that goal of 20 pullups was a good feeling and it's really upped my work capacity which is the entire goal of a base build anyway.

I plan on using similar for green after some time with regular barbell squats and some heavy weighted pullups.

This Fighter Pullup program is the one that looks like this.....
5,4,3,3,2 .......yes?
Here you go. Google Translate this and you are set.
My recommendation is be conservative. I used a 10 rep max when I was good for a single set of 15 pullups.
I hit 20 reps when I retested and didn't even finish the full program.

https://www.buffcoach.net/tools/29432-p ... -generator

nickgoldma

Re: Alternative Base Build Results (Simple and sinister + Fighter Pullup Program + LSD)

Post by nickgoldma »

Great write up and great results. Nicely done. One question: Do you think the fighter pull up program would be effective on an assisted pull up machine? I personally can't even do a single pull up but on an assisted machine where I adjust the weight, I wonder if it would be worth while?
Get after it!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

nickgoldma wrote:Great write up and great results. Nicely done. One question: Do you think the fighter pull up program would be effective on an assisted pull up machine? I personally can't even do a single pull up but on an assisted machine where I adjust the weight, I wonder if it would be worth while?

You would be better off getting the strength for that first pullup.
I have always been able to do pullups so I am not really qualified to give you advice on how to do that first one.

It probably isn't worth doing until you can hit at least 5-10 Pullups. It really is just a pullup specialization program.
You would just get good at doing assisted pullups. I don't think the carryover would be much at all.

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

@maxrip13 I was thinking yesterday about doing a base building block almost exactly as you did, and came across this post :) .

I´m new here btw, this seems to be a really nice forum.

I´ve been working my way to reach Simple, I´m working with the 24 at the moment. I´m in a position where I could start adding sets with the 32 kg. It turns out I´m struggling to comply with the daily frequency the program requires, so I switched to a 3/week light/medium/heavy approach (100 swings, 160 swings, 200 swings). I just read TB2 this week, and out of coincidence I´m biking to the office 2 times a week for 45 minutes. I´m alternating S&S and biking every other day. So I figured that this kind of looks like base building :D .

So let me see if I got your schedule straight. At the beginning, you were doing everything almost every day divided in two sessions: Endurance in one session and S&S + pull ups the other.

Afterwards, you had to swich to alternating endurance and S&S+pull ups every other day, for a total of 3 endurance sessions and 3 S&S and pull up sessions per week, right? This is roughly what I was planning on doing.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Oscar wrote:@maxrip13 I was thinking yesterday about doing a base building block almost exactly as you did, and came across this post :) .

I´ve been working my way to reach Simple, I´m working with the 24 at the moment. I´m in a position where I could start adding sets with the 32 kg. It turns out I´m struggling to comply with the daily frequency the program requires, so I switched to a 3/week light/medium/heavy approach (100 swings, 160 swings, 200 swings). I just read TB2 this week, and out of coincidence I´m biking to the office 2 times a week for 45 minutes. I´m alternating S&S and biking every other day. So I figured that this kind of looks like base building :D .

So let me see if I got your schedule straight. At the beginning, you were doing everything almost every day divided in two sessions: Endurance in one session and S&S + pull ups the other.

Afterwards, you had to swich to alternating endurance and S&S+pull ups every other day, for a total of 3 endurance sessions and 3 S&S and pull up sessions per week, right? This is roughly what I was planning on doing.
Basically yes. I set a goal for how many sessions I plan on doing and make sure I meet that for the "Week". My week isn't always 7 days, but I try to get all those sessions completed before I progress my weights, reps, run distance etc. I would call my weeks blocks, instead of 5 weeks of basebuild I would use 5 blocks.

At the time I had work PT commitments and occasionally I subbed these in where I needed. I also had access to a gym at Lunch everyday on site and was able to get my S&S+Pullups in that way. I also have a gym at home so can always get access to training. The run track was terrible for LSS and I don't run on treadmills by choice. I like to run outside since I am not a hamster.

If you get 3 sessions of S&S and 3 sessions of LSS a week, provided you stay within the correct heart rate zones, I think you have your base build pretty well covered. I like S&S because it is reasonably high volume with the swings, but allows you to focus on improving your run times etc. I added the pullups to tick off some SE I felt was lacking in S&S and because I love pullups. The pullups were the hardest part of the whole program.

It all comes down to what your goals are for the base build. I was in the military before so I am not a big fan of endless push ups etc for a traditional SE session. I enjoyed S&S because it was quick, fun and was still strength based. Paired with the pullups it had enough SE and I could focus on running which is a weakness.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Oscar wrote:@maxrip13 I was thinking yesterday about doing a base building block almost exactly as you did, and came across this post :) .

Basically yes. I set a goal for how many sessions I plan on doing and make sure I meet that for the "Week". My week isn't always 7 days, but I try to get all those sessions completed before I progress my weights, reps, run distance etc. I would call my weeks blocks, instead of 5 weeks of basebuild I would use 5 blocks.

At the time I had work PT commitments and occasionally I subbed these in where I needed. I also had access to a gym at Lunch everyday on site and was able to get my S&S+Pullups in that way. I also have a gym at home so can always get access to training. The run track was terrible for LSS and I don't run on treadmills by choice. I like to run outside since I am not a hamster.

If you get 3 sessions of S&S and 3 sessions of LSS a week, provided you stay within the correct heart rate zones, I think you have your base build pretty well covered. I like S&S because it is reasonably high volume with the swings, but allows you to focus on improving your run times etc. I added the pullups to tick off some SE I felt was lacking in S&S and because I love pullups. The pullups were the hardest part of the whole program.

It all comes down to what your goals are for the base build. I was in the military before so I am not a big fan of endless push ups etc for a traditional SE session. I enjoyed S&S because it was quick, fun and was still strength based. Paired with the pullups it had enough SE and I could focus on running which is a weakness.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I have never done a base block before and I started this base block almost by mistake, by doing S&S 3/week and commuting to the office by bike 2/week. I´m thinking on tweaking it a little bit, to add some hill sprints for instance, and it can become a proper base block as per the book. I started riding my bike to the office a 3 weeks back, and its starting to feel effortless already.

It would be great to add pull ups, it seems to go very well with S&S. I was doing some grease the groove style at the office, but just for fun. Not following a specific progression. But I´m not planning on adding anything else to S&S and the bike rides for now, since I have only just started with the medium/light/heavy days and I want to see how I respond

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Oscar wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I have never done a base block before and I started this base block almost by mistake, by doing S&S 3/week and commuting to the office by bike 2/week. I´m thinking on tweaking it a little bit, to add some hill sprints for instance, and it can become a proper base block as per the book. I started riding my bike to the office a 3 weeks back, and its starting to feel effortless already.

It would be great to add pull ups, it seems to go very well with S&S. I was doing some grease the groove style at the office, but just for fun. Not following a specific progression. But I´m not planning on adding anything else to S&S and the bike rides for now, since I have only just started with the medium/light/heavy days and I want to see how I respond
For base build don't add sprints. Add a 30min + LSS run provided you have no injuries preventing you from running.With cycling it's usually a 2-1 ration with running. To get the same benefits for 30 min running you need to do 1 hr cycling. Otherwise 2x bike rides and your S&S will have you pretty well covered.

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Thanks, I didn't know that 2/1 ratio for ciclying. I might extend my commutes by some km to reach 1 hour, and add one 30 min LSS run.