OP + KB Swings questions

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: OP + KB Swings questions

Post by J-Madd »

Thank you, J-Madd! Appreciate your comment. So, you are running 1 finisher and 1 HIC swings days. Makes sense. I do like this setup.

But.. Your numbers make me fear the KBs :D
Thanks! Swinging a KB is about the only thing I'm really good at! Yes, it's usually one finisher and one HIC with a KB each week. If I know I'm going to change things up and do another HIC incorporating KBs, e.g, BOO, then I will skip the swings as a finisher.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Thank you, J-Madd! Appreciate your comment. So, you are running 1 finisher and 1 HIC swings days. Makes sense. I do like this setup.

Thanks! Swinging a KB is about the only thing I'm really good at! Yes, it's usually one finisher and one HIC with a KB each week. If I know I'm going to change things up and do another HIC incorporating KBs, e.g, BOO, then I will skip the swings as a finisher.
Thanks! I might give it a try as well.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

J-Madd wrote:

Does a finisher like this count as a HIC?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

xfitxm wrote:
J-Madd wrote:

Does a finisher like this count as a HIC?
I am not J-Madd, but I don't think so.. It's a finisher and it makes sense if you are not doing DL in your cluster. IMHO.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I think of the KB "finisher" more like an accessory lift. When I'm using OP, I typically don't have DL in my cluster (just SQ/BP/WPU), so I like to get some serious work for my posterior chain with the swings. In that light, there's really no need to compress the time. I do it just because I want to get all my stuff done in under 60 min.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

Thanks. I'll keep my conditioning.

I must be doing something wrong because sq/bp/pendlay row take me almost an hour :(

Adski

Post by Adski »

Barkadion wrote:Hi friends,

I know there are TB-ers who's doing/done KB swing as a finisher at the end of Operator. I hope you don't mind sharing your experience.

1. What is your experience? Pro/Cons?
2. What are your set/reps and how heavy KB you use (heavy for you)?
3. How does that affect the whole OP block progression?

Thanks,
Ark
1Pros- decent conditioning tool at the end of a session. Cons- (if heavy) may or may not mix well in terms of recovery if you deadlift regularly.

2. Depends. If using the swing as a strength tool, say in place of deadlifts, sets and reps (in my case, different strokes for different folks) 3-5 sets of 4-6 (around the 60kg mark as an average with my t handle). For conditioning, higher reps anywhere between 10-100 depending on weight and protocol used.

3. If it was affecting lifts that I was working on negatively I would either adjust frequency and intensity or remove it for the block. Basically, I'll do my best to use what makes sense for current goals. For example say my main goal was to improve my overhead press using OP with a FSQ WPU OHP cluster, I could add in swings and keep the squats to a very conservative weight as it wouldn't be affecting progress on the OHP. However if I was looking to really focus on the squat, it may pay to use light swings in a conditioning session or as a finisher as opposed to performing heavy swings X times a week as it may affect recovery of the legs which could hamper progress in the squat.
However, that being said, it also depends on what you bring to the table, for example, I know some people that are very proficient with swings and have no problem incorporating heavy swings regularly with their squat work.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Adski wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Hi friends,

I know there are TB-ers who's doing/done KB swing as a finisher at the end of Operator. I hope you don't mind sharing your experience.

1. What is your experience? Pro/Cons?
2. What are your set/reps and how heavy KB you use (heavy for you)?
3. How does that affect the whole OP block progression?

Thanks,
Ark
1Pros- decent conditioning tool at the end of a session. Cons- (if heavy) may or may not mix well in terms of recovery if you deadlift regularly.

2. Depends. If using the swing as a strength tool, say in place of deadlifts, sets and reps (in my case, different strokes for different folks) 3-5 sets of 4-6 (around the 60kg mark as an average with my t handle). For conditioning, higher reps anywhere between 10-100 depending on weight and protocol used.

3. If it was affecting lifts that I was working on negatively I would either adjust frequency and intensity or remove it for the block. Basically, I'll do my best to use what makes sense for current goals. For example say my main goal was to improve my overhead press using OP with a FSQ WPU OHP cluster, I could add in swings and keep the squats to a very conservative weight as it wouldn't be affecting progress on the OHP. However if I was looking to really focus on the squat, it may pay to use light swings in a conditioning session or as a finisher as opposed to performing heavy swings X times a week as it may affect recovery of the legs which could hamper progress in the squat.
However, that being said, it also depends on what you bring to the table, for example, I know some people that are very proficient with swings and have no problem incorporating heavy swings regularly with their squat work.
Very good comment! Appreciate the details and explanation! Thank you. :)

Adski

Post by Adski »

No problem at all, all the best!