Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

Post by J-Madd »

godjira1 wrote:J-Madd,

I just wanted to say hi and great work - i bought your book off Amazon and it really crystalised some of the ideas that I have been fumbling around with for the last couple years. And it brought me here.

Am a BJJ-ist (guy, dude, you get the idea), want to improve/maintain general strength and aerobic base, stay injury free and juggle life at the same time. At 39, I am not that old but have enough mileage that Fighter with a minimalist cluster seems to work best for me. I don't do much HIC at all, as I find the overlap with BJJ makes it hard to recover from that. The LISS that I do once a week actually does wonders for my recovery. I experimented a bit, and I think in general err-ing on the side of doing less seems to work really well (esp for the older guys I suppose).
Thanks for your support of AA and TB!!!

As I have amped up my BJJ training over the last year (I roll x5/week now), I have found that keeping things minimal as far as my off-the-mat-training goes is essential. Especially if you are already "strong enough", Fighter with a light cluster is all you need. Initially, I found little need for HIC with the high frequency training, but now as I have started to settle down during my training a lot more, I find that my rolls have a much more chill, slow and steady feel. As such, I've actually cut back on my LSS work, and now I squeeze in an extra HIC or two each week.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

J-Madd wrote:
As I have amped up my BJJ training over the last year (I roll x5/week now), I have found that keeping things minimal as far as my off-the-mat-training goes is essential. Especially if you are already "strong enough", Fighter with a light cluster is all you need. Initially, I found little need for HIC with the high frequency training, but now as I have started to settle down during my training a lot more, I find that my rolls have a much more chill, slow and steady feel. As such, I've actually cut back on my LSS work, and now I squeeze in an extra HIC or two each week.
Geez, Louise!

This is completely consistent with the conclusions drawn from my "how to count your sports in the conditioning protocol" thread.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

WallBilly wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
Geez, Louise!

This is completely consistent with the conclusions drawn from my "how to count your sports in the conditioning protocol" thread.
Great minds think alike, and all that! :D

When I first started training BJJ, rolling was a lot more anaerobic -- lung burning, complete fatigue, gasping for air, etc. Now it's very chill for me, and to a certain degree that's true even in competition. In my case (and I think a lot of BJJ practitioners would say the same thing), it's not that my conditioning levels or attributes have changed all that much. I don't think I'm in any "better shape" than when I started BJJ. It's a psychological improvement. I'm just much more settled when I roll. I'm calmer, and there is no adrenalin dump. It's easier for me, because I've become much more efficient in my energy expenditure. Something I've noticed just in the last few weeks is that I roll with almost the same exertion whether I'm rolling with a female white belt half my size or getting dominated by a black belt. Either way, it's calm and steady. It's very cool to pass that psychological threshold. This has great effects on my training. Since I don't get smoked rolling, I can roll more rounds every day, so my skills are actually improving at a steeper curve than when I first started. Recovery is easier, so I can train more days every week. This is really a similar principle to Matty Perryman's "Squat Every Day" program.

I suspect that this carries over to most sports (life in general?): slow down, less is more, etc. etc.

ALX72

Post by ALX72 »

When I first started training BJJ, rolling was a lot more anaerobic -- lung burning, complete fatigue, gasping for air, etc. Now it's very chill for me, and to a certain degree that's true even in competition. In my case (and I think a lot of BJJ practitioners would say the same thing), it's not that my conditioning levels or attributes have changed all that much. I don't think I'm in any "better shape" than when I started BJJ. It's a psychological improvement. I'm just much more settled when I roll. I'm calmer, and there is no adrenalin dump. It's easier for me, because I've become much more efficient in my energy expenditure. Something I've noticed just in the last few weeks is that I roll with almost the same exertion whether I'm rolling with a female white belt half my size or getting dominated by a black belt. Either way, it's calm and steady. It's very cool to pass that psychological threshold. This has great effects on my training. Since I don't get smoked rolling, I can roll more rounds every day, so my skills are actually improving at a steeper curve than when I first started. Recovery is easier, so I can train more days every week. This is really a similar principle to Matty Perryman's "Squat Every Day" program.

I suspect that this carries over to most sports (life in general?): slow down, less is more, etc. etc.
Love the book, as well as the approach to TB and TBII. At almost 48, I have been through several shoulder, back and knee injuries that left me inactive for many years (about 20 to be exact). Couple that with work and family obligations, and my life turned very sedentary. I haven't gone for a run since the mid-90s! About 6 years ago I started lifting weights, at first for aesthetics but later powerlifting (and to relieve stress); cardio was mostly just walking. I put on about 25 pounds, not all muscle either. It re-aggravated old injuries and I was sidelined for a while. About 3 years ago, I started again, and this time mixing in boxing (light sparring, heavy bag, and drilling with mitts). This worked for a while (along with shoulder pre-hab/physical therapy) but my aerobic capacity was lacking. As I grew more and and more efficient with my punches, I was hitting much harder and my shoulders started to feel it.
My coach, an MMA guy, talked me into trying BJJ. I LOVE IT. What an incredible way to burn off stress. But, I am getting gassed out regularly. With boxing, I could take a "break" by jabbing and moving. Not so much in BJJ! I realize that a lot has to do with getting smashed by fighters who outweigh me by 60 lbs. and are 30 years younger, and I am still getting used to getting suffocated regularly as a spastic newbie. I attend 2-3 classes a week and still train privately with my coach (either boxing/kickboxing or BJJ technique) 2-3x/week.
Sorry for all the info, but I'm trying to paint a clearer picture. My goal is to build up my aerobic capacity by running BB and building up my strength again. Because I haven't run in years (which is something I used to enjoy), I am planning to go for walks in the morning and build up to running. Is BB based in trying to keep in a certain heart-rate zone? I'm not sure if this would be effective to build up aerobic capacity. Not all of my classes or sessions are maximum effort ALL the time. I push myself a little more each time, but back off to avoid injury.
How would I implement BB into my schedule? Any input would be most welcome.
(BTW: I absolutely LOVE the philosophical references in your writing. I was a philosophy major in undergrad. Reading some of your passages made me somewhat nostalgic!)

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

For those who have the book, in the OWT, for the first two blocks when using OP I/A, would you use the template based on 9 training sessions found in TB 3rd edition or the one in TB2 based on a full 6 weeks? I didn't find that information in AA.

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

Nevermind anybody, I think I found my answer!

Adski

Post by Adski »

ml1985 wrote:Nevermind anybody, I think I found my answer!
Hey mate, either TB II or 3rd edition could work. I used 3rd edition when I ran it.

Responses seem to be quicker for people on the reddit page for TB, unsure why.

Anyway, all the best. OWT is awesome.

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

Adski wrote:
Hey mate, either TB II or 3rd edition could work. I used 3rd edition when I ran it.

Thanks for the info! I went back to chapter 6 and I think he refers to the newer version. I'll run a short 6 week regular Operator since my wife is pregnant and due early July, and then switch to BB for the remaining of summer, and start OWT next fall.

Just to be sure, in the OWT, is the total program 32 weeks (excluding BB), since each block is 3-1-3-1? When you ran OWT, did you only test after 24 weeks, which is at the end of the 3rd block? Did you find it hard not to test for a long period of time?

Adski

Post by Adski »

ml1985 wrote:
Adski wrote:

Thanks for the info! I went back to chapter 6 and I think he refers to the newer version. I'll run a short 6 week regular Operator since my wife is pregnant and due early July, and then switch to BB for the remaining of summer, and start OWT next fall.

Just to be sure, in the OWT, is the total program 32 weeks (excluding BB), since each block is 3-1-3-1? When you ran OWT, did you only test after 24 weeks, which is at the end of the 3rd block? Did you find it hard not to test for a long period of time?
If you go 3-1 yes it is, and it’s a good approach to take to allow for recovery/adaptation imo.

I did the test within the block at the end of the 3rd block and I waited a few days before testing at the end of the final block.

Personally I didn’t find it hard not testing as I don’t test maxes very regularly at all.

OWT was very enjoyable I PR’d all lifts except one which was a TBDL, still overall I was very happy with the results and the body wasn’t feeling beat up afterwards, which to me was the main thing.