Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: Ageless Athlete BB

Post by J-Madd »

Adski wrote:Cheers J Madd, I am looking forward to finishing up bb this week, then rolling into the T Max peaking cycle with op/ia. I've mentioned it in a few places now but the thing I've really enjoyed about everything TB is that it really has helped rein me in from going too hard too often. So thanks again!
Everybody I have heard from so far who has tried that peaking cycle from AA has had great results. You just need to be very patient with yourself during the first couple cycles while your T-max is very low.

WhoDey

Re: Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

Post by WhoDey »

I'm pleased to see the positive comments regarding walking. I'm an old runner, but a serious health issue plus the meds the good doctor put me on has led me to focus on walking. It's no joke trying to improve pace! Of course, those looking for more intensity can add weight (ruck) and/or hills.

Adski

Post by Adski »

So, I've completed AA BB, just started the old warhorse template this week, I've looked through the book, I hope I have t overlooked a page, but does the 3/1 deload principle apply in the first two blocks while running IA, and 6/1 for the remaining op blocks?

Cheers guys!

Adski

Post by Adski »

I've just started the old warhorse template this week, I'm actually enjoying the lower t max and working through more sets, and keeping a good conditioning load.

I've just moved on to 40kg for the swing challenge too. Managed 60/22/18 for first attempt, once the 100 straight is knocked over, I might move onto the swing periodisation. Looking forward to going through it all.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Adski wrote:So, I've completed AA BB, just started the old warhorse template this week, I've looked through the book, I hope I have t overlooked a page, but does the 3/1 deload principle apply in the first two blocks while running IA, and 6/1 for the remaining op blocks?

Cheers guys!
I don't think I put my foot down on this one way another in the book. I would play it based on how things are going for you.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Adski wrote:I've just started the old warhorse template this week, I'm actually enjoying the lower t max and working through more sets, and keeping a good conditioning load.

I've just moved on to 40kg for the swing challenge too. Managed 60/22/18 for first attempt, once the 100 straight is knocked over, I might move onto the swing periodisation. Looking forward to going through it all.
I love the first couple cycles of this template. It's fun going to the gym and just pump some weights you know you can dominate. It's low stress, and I also enjoy all the HIC.

It looks like you are knocking on the door of swimming the 40KG x 100! That's know joke.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Thanks for the feedback J-Madd!
I'll see how I'm tracking, it's orettt rare I take a full week off, usually start again on the 5 day mark, (unless I really feel I need the full week which is usually once a year) I may stick with something like that, am loving the extra HIC!

I'm hoping it's not far off with the 40kg but we'll see.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I am thinking of giving Old Warhorse template a try. I have a question about 1st Block on the template:

Do you calculate 80% of TM based on the TM from last continuation phase or based on calculated 1RM from last continuation phase?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:I am thinking of giving Old Warhorse template a try. I have a question about 1st Block on the template:

Do you calculate 80% of TM based on the TM from last continuation phase or based on calculated 1RM from last continuation phase?
My recommendation is to use 80% of your most recent accurate test (whether it's a rep max or a true 1-RM). So, I'd go with the latter of your two options. If you find that 80% of that number is too heavy coming out base building (giving that the first phase of OW needs to be "easy" in terms of the weights), then adjust fire as needed.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops for you!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:I am thinking of giving Old Warhorse template a try. I have a question about 1st Block on the template:

My recommendation is to use 80% of your most recent accurate test (whether it's a rep max or a true 1-RM). So, I'd go with the latter of your two options. If you find that 80% of that number is too heavy coming out base building (giving that the first phase of OW needs to be "easy" in terms of the weights), then adjust fire as needed.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops for you!
Thank you J-Madd! I haven't tested my 1RM for more than a year now.. I think I might calculate regular forced progression to my latest numbers and take 80% off that. Except the press.. I think I go very conservative on pressing since my shoulder issue.

Just one more question if you don't mind. Would you recommend using cluster with DL for OWT, or just simple SQ/Press/Chins option?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky