Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

Post by J-Madd »

TangoZero wrote:In my opinion ETK is the superior program.

Just wanted to add my thumbs-up for Ageless Athlete, awesome book, review is up on Amazon. I'm not in the Ageless category yet but I've been implementing the programming for the accessory work and I'll be using the AA Base Building template next year. I highly recommend reading it even if you're not in your 50s or whatever.
Thanks TangoZero. I really appreciate the support! I also agree that ETK is still Pavel's best work.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I hate to gloat, but I'm pretty proud of this. I just heard from a 26 year-old female, civilian who completed the AA Base Building template today. She has struggled with sticking to a structured exercise regime in the past, and had fallen into a sedentary lifestyle. Nevertheless, she got all eight-weeks of the AA base build under her belt. She's built the habit of training, and realized that once you turn the corner to goal-based training boredom and tedium aren't an issue anymore. She achieved things she never thought she could do, e.g, push-ups, sustained running, and hill sprints, and now she is itching to get into a continuation protocol. The sky is the limit!

Building habits, training for achievable goals, and broadening your sense of your possibilities -- those are the central ideas I'm pushing AA! Well done!

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

J-Madd wrote:I hate to gloat, but . . . .
Gloat away! You've earned it.

Moz69

Post by Moz69 »

J-Madd wrote:I hate to gloat
You should, I agree with Wallbilly you have definitely have earned it.

I purchased the kindle edition at a really reasonable price thank you for that and read it several times this weekend. An inspirational book with some great thoughts that came across really well and which I will be introducing into my training routine.
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

Adski

Ageless Athlete BB

Post by Adski »

So I'm just about to finish week 7 of bb with the ageless athlete template and had some great results moving into the back end. For example,

On Power Intervals with the airbike I set PR's for Cals and on the 100 swing challenge, after 5 weeks off, week 6 I hit 94 unbroken reps with 36.25kg then got the 100 this week, and the gas tank felt pretty good afterward.

The only things I would change is the weight I was using for some of my exercises with tango circuits as I found even though I thought it was light, the mental fatigue for days after seemed to linger and I generally felt run down until I made adjustments, my own personal opinion is that body weight and lighter than you think are light enough weights should be used if you are going this route. This being said, that's just me, experiences may vary.
Really have enjoyed the block this year on bb, looking forward to moving on to op/ia after a deload.
Thanks again to J MADD and K Black for putting out some very beneficial material, it really has altered my training for the better.

J-Madd

Re: Ageless Athlete BB

Post by J-Madd »

Thanks Adski! Great job getting more from less!

Adski

Re: Ageless Athlete BB

Post by Adski »

Cheers J Madd, I am looking forward to finishing up bb this week, then rolling into the T Max peaking cycle with op/ia. I've mentioned it in a few places now but the thing I've really enjoyed about everything TB is that it really has helped rein me in from going too hard too often. So thanks again!

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Just had a 51 year old complete his last week of AA Base Block. Out of the game for years and couldn't run for 20 minutes straight. Started him out speed-walking for his first couple E sessions - over the weeks that progressed to speed-walking interspersed with 10-15 minute shuffling/jogging intervals, which eventually turned into shuffling/jogging for the majority of the session. Yesterday he completed his first non-stop 30 minute jog in over 14 years. Those of you training 'hard-cases' don't discount speed walking. It doesn't take much to get into the 130bpm range for someone starting out in really rough shape.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

K.B. wrote:Just had a 51 year old complete his last week of AA Base Block. Out of the game for years and couldn't run for 20 minutes straight. Started him out speed-walking for his first couple E sessions - over the weeks that progressed to speed-walking interspersed with 10-15 minute shuffling/jogging intervals, which eventually turned into shuffling/jogging for the majority of the session. Yesterday he completed his first non-stop 30 minute jog in over 14 years. Those of you training 'hard-cases' don't discount speed walking. It doesn't take much to get into the 130bpm range for someone starting out in really rough shape.
Personally, I think that walking is underestimated. You can get good walking program if needed. Even if you are in a great shape and trains seriously. I have benefited good deal by incorporating different types of walking in the past (brisk walks, power walks, walking over the hills, and long 1hr+ LSS walks). It is also my favorite must do during weeks off/recovering. You basically can cure DOMS with walking. And it is a good tool to cut some fat off if you need it. You can easily cut few pounds off by adding 15min brisk walks on daily basis.

And if you are having hangover... Go walk, mate :lol:

Just my 2c.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

K.B. wrote:Just had a 51 year old complete his last week of AA Base Block. Out of the game for years and couldn't run for 20 minutes straight. Started him out speed-walking for his first couple E sessions - over the weeks that progressed to speed-walking interspersed with 10-15 minute shuffling/jogging intervals, which eventually turned into shuffling/jogging for the majority of the session. Yesterday he completed his first non-stop 30 minute jog in over 14 years. Those of you training 'hard-cases' don't discount speed walking. It doesn't take much to get into the 130bpm range for someone starting out in really rough shape.
That's great! I too have had some good luck with speed walking for previously sedentary people I'm working with locally.
Barkadion wrote:Personally, I think that walking is underestimated.
I agree 100% Bark, and the fact that this needs to be said shows what a sad fallen state we find ourselves in, at least here in the North America.