Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:I am thinking of giving Old Warhorse template a try. I have a question about 1st Block on the template:

Do you calculate 80% of TM based on the TM from last continuation phase or based on calculated 1RM from last continuation phase?
My recommendation is to use 80% of your most recent accurate test (whether it's a rep max or a true 1-RM). So, I'd go with the latter of your two options. If you find that 80% of that number is too heavy coming out base building (giving that the first phase of OW needs to be "easy" in terms of the weights), then adjust fire as needed.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops for you!
Thank you J-Madd! I haven't tested my 1RM for more than a year now.. I think I might calculate regular forced progression to my latest numbers and take 80% off that. Except the press.. I think I go very conservative on pressing since my shoulder issue.

Just one more question if you don't mind. Would you recommend using cluster with DL for OWT, or just simple SQ/Press/Chins option?
DL is fine (with SQ/BP/Chins), but I'd keep it once/week.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Thank you J-MADD!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Adski

Post by Adski »

With regards to to OWT, in the third block, is it fine to run op/ia with operator percentages?

For example- Weeks 1-3 70-90% and 4-6 75-95% (flex days as required).

I only ask ask as I am nearing the end of the second block with ia, and have been using flex days here and there to assist recovery after certain run sessions (boo II advanced today), and wondering if the same could/should be utilized in Block 3.

If not that's fine and I'll adjust my conditioning and run operator as normal, I'm just a bit curious that's all.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Adski wrote:With regards to to OWT, in the third block, is it fine to run op/ia with operator percentages?

I only ask ask as I am nearing the end of the second block with ia, and have been using flex days here and there to assist recovery after certain run sessions (boo II advanced today), and wondering if the same could/should be utilized in Block 3.

If not that's fine and I'll adjust my conditioning and run operator as normal, I'm just a bit curious that's all.
I think I actually recommend OP %'s for the 3rd and 4th blocks. Using a flex day concept, especially during the heavy phases, is always a sound idea.

How is OWT going for you?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Hi J-Madd,

Thank you for following up with this thread! Should OWT be done without breaks? I am thinking of taking week off after every block.

Loving it so far. Only downside is the length of the training sessions.. It takes about 1hr for me now..

Adski

Post by Adski »

J-Madd wrote:
Adski wrote:With regards to to OWT, in the third block, is it fine to run op/ia with operator percentages?

I think I actually recommend OP %'s for the 3rd and 4th blocks. Using a flex day concept, especially during the heavy phases, is always a sound idea.

Hi J Madd, and thanks very much for the reply, I believe I have over complicated my question, I really should have just (I realize now after seeing your answer) asked about flex days with op as is stated for Block 3 of OWT.

I'm really enjoying it, I'm on my last MS day of the 80% week (block 2) of OWT. I didn't deload after the last block but will after I finish week 3 of this block. I've enjoyed the minimal rest between sets, and getting the extra volume in (this week I have stuck with just 5 sets as I felt for me it would work best recovery wise). I had to lay off the 100 swing challenge as the top of my hamstring developed a little bit of inflammation, so I haven't used them at all this block (which was annonying, but necessary, my last attempt was 80/11/9 with 40kg) but I plan on bringing them back with my conditioning next block (apex and boo for example) and if it feels ok during that block I'll bring the 100 swings back possibly in the 4th.
Overall, I really enjoy OWT, keeps me reigned in from going too far, but at the same time allows for some fun volume wise in the first two blocks, im looking forward to testing at the end of the third block.

Thank you again for your time, really appreciate it!

Adski

Post by Adski »

J-Madd wrote:
Adski wrote:So, I've completed AA BB, just started the old warhorse template this week, I've looked through the book, I hope I have t overlooked a page, but does the 3/1 deload principle apply in the first two blocks while running IA, and 6/1 for the remaining op blocks?

Cheers guys!
I don't think I put my foot down on this one way another in the book. I would play it based on how things are going for you.
@barkadion

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:Hi J-Madd,

Thank you for following up with this thread! Should OWT be done without breaks? I am thinking of taking week off after every block.

Loving it so far. Only downside is the length of the training sessions.. It takes about 1hr for me now..
I would use what ever deload/break/recovery protocol you typically employ. A week off after each block is fine, and you might find you want to to 3-1-3-1 of the last heavy block.

Yes, when I am in the volume phase of OWT, the workouts ran about 60 min too.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Adski wrote:
J-Madd wrote:

Hi J Madd, and thanks very much for the reply, I believe I have over complicated my question, I really should have just (I realize now after seeing your answer) asked about flex days with op as is stated for Block 3 of OWT.

I'm really enjoying it, I'm on my last MS day of the 80% week (block 2) of OWT. I didn't deload after the last block but will after I finish week 3 of this block. I've enjoyed the minimal rest between sets, and getting the extra volume in (this week I have stuck with just 5 sets as I felt for me it would work best recovery wise). I had to lay off the 100 swing challenge as the top of my hamstring developed a little bit of inflammation, so I haven't used them at all this block (which was annonying, but necessary, my last attempt was 80/11/9 with 40kg) but I plan on bringing them back with my conditioning next block (apex and boo for example) and if it feels ok during that block I'll bring the 100 swings back possibly in the 4th.
Overall, I really enjoy OWT, keeps me reigned in from going too far, but at the same time allows for some fun volume wise in the first two blocks, im looking forward to testing at the end of the third block.

Thank you again for your time, really appreciate it!
I'm glad OWT is working for you. Those first couple blocks are fun - clicking out the sets, getting a bit of a pump from all the volume. You'll be ready to start moving some heavy barbells when you get to the third phase! With the slightest sense of a hamstring tweet, I put the KB down for a while. If you're pushing the volume on the barbells now, that's probably a good idea anyway.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Hi J-Madd,

I would use what ever deload/break/recovery protocol you typically employ. A week off after each block is fine, and you might find you want to to 3-1-3-1 of the last heavy block.

Yes, when I am in the volume phase of OWT, the workouts ran about 60 min too.
Thank you JMadd! Appreciate that. Awesome!

OWT to be continued!