Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Re: Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

Post by Barkadion »

Adski wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
Adski wrote:So, I've completed AA BB, just started the old warhorse template this week, I've looked through the book, I hope I have t overlooked a page, but does the 3/1 deload principle apply in the first two blocks while running IA, and 6/1 for the remaining op blocks?

Cheers guys!
I don't think I put my foot down on this one way another in the book. I would play it based on how things are going for you.
@barkadion
Thanks mate!!
I obviously missed that!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Even if you're not a BJJ player, this guy has much to say that applies to Ageless Athletes: http://www.bjjee.com/articles/old-man-j ... -nonsense/

Het captures much of what I want to convey in the book.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

A friend of mine whom I train did a 5K race today. He is fifty-one years old, and today he came in at 21.08, beating time last year on this course by more than four minutes! His min/mile average went from 7:46 last year on the same course to 6:48!!!! Wow.

He did a modified version of the AA basebuild early last summer, and then transitioned to Black. That was the first time he lifted weights and did sprints in his adult life. I kept him on a steady diet of 600m Resets, Fast 5 (on the course for the race he was preparing for), and Speed Endurance Ladders. He built his base (breaking lots of distance PRs), learned how to push through the pain, and built some real strength. I'm very proud of my guy!

These programs work folks -- put the work in and go set some lifetime PRs!!!!!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:A friend of mine whom I train did a 5K race today. He is fifty-one years old, and today he came in at 21.08, beating time last year on this course by more than four minutes! His min/mile average went from 7:46 last year on the same course to 6:48!!!! Wow.

He did a modified version of the AA basebuild early last summer, and then transitioned to Black. That was the first time he lifted weights and did sprints in his adult life. I kept him on a steady diet of 600m Resets, Fast 5 (on the course for the race he was preparing for), and Speed Endurance Ladders. He built his base (breaking lots of distance PRs), learned how to push through the pain, and built some real strength. I'm very proud of my guy!

21 min is no joke.. may I ask if fast 5 speed was significantly slower for your friend during the preparation?

I am finishing week#2 of OWT and I'm loving just about everything about it..

Adski

Post by Adski »

So I’m in week 3 of Block 3 of OWT, and it would seem I have made a slight error with my WPU increase at the end of Block 2.

I made a 5% increase, which felt fine in the 70 and 80% weeks, but this week the 3rd rep of each set was just shy of failure, chin getting over the bar, but nowhere near as cleanly as I would like/how I believe it should be. So today (MS 2 for the week) after my second working set, I decided to recalculate my T max and increase my prior max from Block 2 by 2% instead of leaving the 5% increase. The weight still felt heavy as it should due to the prior sets, but the lift felt better in general.

I am just wondering whether or not I have made the right choice, or if there is any advice anyone would like to pass on. I was resting 5-6 minutes between sets, and that didn’t seem to help, so I figured re adjusting the max wouldn’t be a bad idea. Cheers guys.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:A friend of mine whom I train did a 5K race today. He is fifty-one years old, and today he came in at 21.08, beating time last year on this course by more than four minutes! His min/mile average went from 7:46 last year on the same course to 6:48!!!! Wow.

21 min is no joke.. may I ask if fast 5 speed was significantly slower for your friend during the preparation?

I'm glad you're liking OWT. My guy ran the Fast Fives at an 80-85% perceived exertion, but I'm not sure what his times were. I bet they were considerably slower than race day; he was a hot mess at the finish.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Adski wrote:So I’m in week 3 of Block 3 of OWT, and it would seem I have made a slight error with my WPU increase at the end of Block 2.

I made a 5% increase, which felt fine in the 70 and 80% weeks, but this week the 3rd rep of each set was just shy of failure, chin getting over the bar, but nowhere near as cleanly as I would like/how I believe it should be. So today (MS 2 for the week) after my second working set, I decided to recalculate my T max and increase my prior max from Block 2 by 2% instead of leaving the 5% increase. The weight still felt heavy as it should due to the prior sets, but the lift felt better in general.

I am just wondering whether or not I have made the right choice, or if there is any advice anyone would like to pass on. I was resting 5-6 minutes between sets, and that didn’t seem to help, so I figured re adjusting the max wouldn’t be a bad idea. Cheers guys.
For my money, you made the right choice. An alternative might have been to leave the max the same (since the 70-80% week were fine), bu then go to singles or doubles for 90%. That, in my view, is still playing a bit risky, but . . . .

Adski

Post by Adski »

J-Madd wrote:
Adski wrote:So I’m in week 3 of Block 3 of OWT, and it would seem I have made a slight error with my WPU increase at the end of Block 2.

For my money, you made the right choice. An alternative might have been to leave the max the same (since the 70-80% week were fine), bu then go to singles or doubles for 90%. That, in my view, is still playing a bit risky, but . . . .
Thanks J Madd, I should have played it a bit smarter with the progressions knowing that the WPU isn’t my strongest lift. 2% increases from Block to block or 5 on the first and 2 after the second block. It should all be sorted after the slight adjustment. Thanks again for the reply!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

I'm glad you're liking OWT. My guy ran the Fast Fives at an 80-85% perceived exertion, but I'm not sure what his times were. I bet they were considerably slower than race day; he was a hot mess at the finish.
Thanks!

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

J-Madd,

I just wanted to say hi and great work - i bought your book off Amazon and it really crystalised some of the ideas that I have been fumbling around with for the last couple years. And it brought me here.

Am a BJJ-ist (guy, dude, you get the idea), want to improve/maintain general strength and aerobic base, stay injury free and juggle life at the same time. At 39, I am not that old but have enough mileage that Fighter with a minimalist cluster seems to work best for me. I don't do much HIC at all, as I find the overlap with BJJ makes it hard to recover from that. The LISS that I do once a week actually does wonders for my recovery. I experimented a bit, and I think in general err-ing on the side of doing less seems to work really well (esp for the older guys I suppose).
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.