Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Ageless Athlete Discussion Thread

Post by J-Madd »

I'm pretty far down the garden path on a book I'm writing regarding Tactical Barbell training for middle-age (and older) athletes.

I want to make sure I cover all the questions that actual TB athletes in that demographic have, so I am trying to enlist your help. If you have any questions you would definitely want to see addressed in a book for mature athletes, please post them in this topic thread. Even if you aren't an older athlete yourself, your experience with older trainees might leave you with some good questions too. Anything that I haven't addressed in the main body of the book and which I think is pertinent, I will include in an FAQ section.

Thanks a lot for your help TBers!

Barkadion

Re: FAQ Call-Out!

Post by Barkadion »

Thank you for doing that J-Madd!

Would that book have the same structure as all TB books?

I am coming to realization that the most important point for 40+ trainee is setting proper goal for your training. Goal that is honest, realistic, and achievable for your personal age/condition/status. The goal itself will dictate the rest of your programming: exercise selection, load, warmups, mobility drills, deload/rest period, etc.. I can admit that I still have some problems with this very important step.

I would really appreciate if your book will cover some examples of different adjustments to TB templates depending on slightly different goals.

Looking forward to it.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

My requirements are about the same ,while I have no military experience a quarter of a century between corrections and law enforcement can take a toll :D
It would be a God send to have a blueprint for training an old battered body

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

J-Madd wrote:I'm pretty far down the garden path on a book I'm writing regarding Tactical Barbell training for middle-age (and older) athletes.

I want to make sure I cover all the questions that actual TB athletes in that demographic have, so I am trying to enlist your help. If you have any questions you would definitely want to see addressed in a book for mature athletes, please post them in this topic thread. Even if you aren't an older athlete yourself, your experience with older trainees might leave you with some good questions too. Anything that I haven't addressed in the main body of the book and which I think is pertinent, I will include in an FAQ section.

JMadd, I'm assuming you already took questions and answers from the over-40 thread. I'm not thinking of any other questions right now, but let me know if I can help in any other way (I've got some experience as a lifter in that demographic :D , with some of it even using TB).

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

TBPenguin wrote:
J-Madd wrote:I'm pretty far down the garden path on a book I'm writing regarding Tactical Barbell training for middle-age (and older) athletes.

JMadd, I'm assuming you already took questions and answers from the over-40 thread. I'm not thinking of any other questions right now, but let me know if I can help in any other way (I've got some experience as a lifter in that demographic :D , with some of it even using TB).
Thanks TBPenguin. The over-40 thread is part of what got to get off my butt and start this project.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:Thank you for doing that J-Madd!

Would that book have the same structure as all TB books?

I am coming to realization that the most important point for 40+ trainee is setting proper goal for your training. Goal that is honest, realistic, and achievable for your personal age/condition/status. The goal itself will dictate the rest of your programming: exercise selection, load, warmups, mobility drills, deload/rest period, etc.. I can admit that I still have some problems with this very important step.

I would really appreciate if your book will cover some examples of different adjustments to TB templates depending on slightly different goals.

Looking forward to it.
That's a good idea Barkadion. An series of FAQ entries like, for example, "I really want get ready for a 5K race while using TB, what should I do?"

As far as the structure goes, I'm going to put the "Table of Contents" from an advanced draft up in this thread soon. That will give you some sense of it compares structurally to K.B.'s books.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Annual structuring of blocks and base building. For older athletes is it necessary to have a hypertrophy block or added blocks to assist with mobility or injury prevention. Thats what comes to mind.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tym87 wrote:Annual structuring of blocks and base building. For older athletes is it necessary to have a hypertrophy block or added blocks to assist with mobility or injury prevention. Thats what comes to mind.
X2! Good one!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Sounds great JMadd, what topics are you planning on covering?

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Hey JMadd, just read the new Baker & Sullivan book. It didn't completely address me, and I'd guess a pretty large number of your target audience, despite the matching of the age. So I believe you can write something that stands apart, looking forward to seeing the table of contents.