Deadlift Rule of Thumb

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TangoZero

Deadlift Rule of Thumb

Post by TangoZero »

This is has come up on other forums and it seems there are other TBers doing it, so I'll share here;

I have a DL "rule" that's been working very well for me in the context of training strength+conditioning. I never go over 3 reps regardless of set#, week, or load#. If it's a 75% week I might go with 5 sets of 1-3 reps. In the 90% it might just be 1 set of 3 followed by a couple singles. The only rule is no going over 3 reps per set for DL. # of sets and # of sessions per week all remain status quo as per your unique DL set-up.

I find this really makes a difference when it comes to recovery and coupling DLs with heavy conditioning.

Enjoy! Please share your results if you try it out.

Barkadion

Re: Deadlift Rule of Thumb

Post by Barkadion »

TangoZero wrote:This is has come up on other forums and it seems there are other TBers doing it, so I'll share here;

I have a DL "rule" that's been working very well for me in the context of training strength+conditioning. I never go over 3 reps regardless of set#, week, or load#. If it's a 75% week I might go with 5 sets of 1-3 reps. In the 90% it might just be 1 set of 3 followed by a couple singles. The only rule is no going over 3 reps per set for DL. # of sets and # of sessions per week all remain status quo as per your unique DL set-up.

I find this really makes a difference when it comes to recovery and coupling DLs with heavy conditioning.

Enjoy! Please share your results if you try it out.
I think that's a very good rule.

I have done different DL protocols in my life and ~1-3reps seems to more comfortable by both strength and recovery. Especially if it is not only lift per training session. Also, having dedicated DL day is the best way to go.. IMHO.

The most crazies protocol I've done was speed trap bar DL for 15 reps. I wouldn't recommend it.

And the most enjoyable variation was 2.5in block pulls for 3 reps.

Just my dos pesos :)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

Yup, I've been doing this too, works like a charm. If you're the type that feels like you've been hit by a truck after deadlift day give it a shot.

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Interesting! This is what I do for Oly lifts in my cluster. Never more than 3 reps.