Are SE Circuits Anaerobic?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Fogull

Are SE Circuits Anaerobic?

Post by Fogull »

Hi everyone,

I came across this article last night: http://www.championseverywhere.com/why- ... bic-phase/

It discussed how placing anaerobic workouts in the middle of an aerobic base building phase of training can be detrimental. This had me thinking about the base building in TBII. I just started week 2 and I'm loving it so far. I was wondering about this article though. I feel like my SE circuit could be anaerobic work. I'm working really hard for about 30-60 seconds at a time (per exercise) then switch up the muscle group and repeat for 6 exercises. Isn't this anaerobic?

I'm going to trust the books and keep going of course. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

Fogull

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Re: Are SE Circuits Anaerobic?

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Interesting article........ although when I come across stuff like this I bear a couple of things in mind....

How many took part

Who was the study based on.

In this instance, the study is based on elite / high level endurance athletes.... who are focussed on Endurance Racing....... they make mention of the fact that Anaerobic training can be done in sparing doses but not day in day etc.

In this community, we are looking to be as well rounded as possible...... indeed if you were looking to be an Endurance racer, then this programme, inc the Green Protocol may not be the best fit if you are looking to 'place'.

It is also vague on what they deem to be too much anaerobic training being done.

Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed reading the article............ however in my practice, where I have programmed for ultra running / mountain marathon athletes in the past, there has been a high focus on base building, but at the same time there were also gym / strength sessions included, since strength is required and not just endurance.

In my opinion, I have found the results from this system to be the best I have ever had for overall fitness and more importantly health.

As you say, you are going to stick to the program..... so see how your results are at the end of it :)
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I could be wrong, but for most people SE is largely alactic.

I think BB falls in very nicely with this article. Emphasis is placed on aerobic energy systems for a time, without anaerobic conditioning.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Green2Blue wrote:I could be wrong, but for most people SE is largely alactic.

I think BB falls in very nicely with this article. Emphasis is placed on aerobic energy systems for a time, without anaerobic conditioning.
IN all fairness, anaerobic-alactic work generally involves work periods of less than 20 seconds followed by rest [to allow the ATP energy system to recover], generally used for maximal strength, power or indeed speed work... if you are doing SE work, [ reps of 10, 20 +] then the work period will be more that 20s in duration...at which point there would be the start of a lactic build up..... just a thought for you ;)
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

After (roughly) 2 minutes of continuous activity the aerobic system starts taking over. There's still contribution from the anaerobic system but it's mostly aerobic overall (discounting the muscular-endurance aspect of course). You may not be getting optimal ventricle-hypertrophy specific to LISS, but you're getting other aerobic benefits like more efficient mitochondria/vascular benefits and whatnot. It's basically like a Fun-Run. I'd also wager that depending on how fit you are, SE can be strictly aerobic for a lot of folks.

Either way, the difference is going to be negligible. If you're strictly a competitive racer that needs every single tiny-itty-bitty advantage then you should be doing a specialized running-style base building program like MAFF Method for 12+ weeks anyway.

Runners have one mission; run faster/farther.

For tactical athletes on the other hand, Base has a twofold mission; improve the aerobic system and strength-endurance/work capacity.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:I could be wrong, but for most people SE is largely alactic.

IN all fairness, anaerobic-alactic work generally involves work periods of less than 20 seconds followed by rest [to allow the ATP energy system to recover], generally used for maximal strength, power or indeed speed work... if you are doing SE work, [ reps of 10, 20 +] then the work period will be more that 20s in duration...at which point there would be the start of a lactic build up..... just a thought for you ;)
Of course. I guess it just depends on your target population and how fit they are. We're on the same page, potato potato :)

fazer681

Post by fazer681 »

Hey guys, New guy here... (probably not the best place to do this but wtheck) Just started TB recently.

I'm on week 2 of BB.

Question, somewhat in-line with the OP:

Am I supposed to be sore the day(s) after SE?

Id like to think im using relatively light weights ( 20lb dumbells, 35kb for swings).

Id like to mention that this is my first time starting/doing TB, and its been quite a while since ive actually done anything relatively strenous since i was doing crossfit, about 4 years ago.

Sorry for the one off post!

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

fazer681 wrote:Hey guys, New guy here... (probably not the best place to do this but wtheck) Just started TB recently.

I'm on week 2 of BB.

Question, somewhat in-line with the OP:

Am I supposed to be sore the day(s) after SE?

Id like to think im using relatively light weights ( 20lb dumbells, 35kb for swings).

Id like to mention that this is my first time starting/doing TB, and its been quite a while since ive actually done anything relatively strenous since i was doing crossfit, about 4 years ago.

Sorry for the one off post!
Of course you're going to be sore. It would be strange if you weren't after SE...it's not that far off from classical hypertrophy training. Restricted/short RIs, high reps, failure = recipe for DOMs.

H.C.

Post by H.C. »

Can be aerobic or anaerobic.

In kettlebell sport, a way to lengthen the total duration so that the muscles don't give out before the breathing is to lengthen the rest period between reps.

Example:

1 rep, 10 seconds hold, 1 rep, 10 seconds hold...until duration is over. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMcrI-xtbbI&t=26s