BB with increased strength focus

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

BB with increased strength focus

Post by Barkadion »

I am starting to plan my next BB. I am running it late spring. It will be strength first option most-likely unless I will go for the S&S/Pullups variation.

There are few recommendation in the book for BB option with increased strength focus:

- Do only the first 5 weeks of Block 1/BB.
- Strength train 3 x week during Block 1, instead of SE work. Adjust E sessions accordingly.
- Stay in the lower ranges of E work during Block 1 (30 minutes).

I know that there are some TB-ers who done that according to some reddit posts/comments. Can you share your experience with that option please? I have few questions..

- Did you keep the your main strength cluster for the BB? Or you used some "special" cluster more useful with BB?
- Did you go over 5 weeks?
- Did you go over 30min for E?
- What was the difference between standard strength first BB version and this modified one?

I am thinking of something like that:

First 5 weeks:

- M/W/F - MS Operator
- T/Th/Sat - LSS runs for 30-45min

6-8 weeks
- M/W/F - Alpha SE

Clusters
- MS - still thinking about cluster. Possible option - 3-4 unilateral lifts (ex: weighted reverse lunges, 1 arm DB press/rows)
- Alpha - some sort of assistance work that can be done with higher reps (ex: dips, pullups, goblet squats, core)

Appreciate comments/thoughts!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tyr0331

Re: BB with increased strength focus

Post by Tyr0331 »

I ran strength for the whole eight weeks as fighter bangkok. Used Alpha template as my SE day and I did the SE every other week. For E sessions I used a triple. Run/row/run and worked up to 60 minutes of total movement, bumping up the meters rowed and miles ran every week until it filled the 60 minutes of training. Don't know how well my BB phase helped my overall aerobic capacity only doing one E session per week because I had BJJ 2-3x/week which I consider to be more of an HIC day. My strength numbers did go up and I did feel like I had a lot more gas in the tank on the last few E sessions and was a lot easier to keep my HR in the zone

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tyr0331 wrote:I ran strength for the whole eight weeks as fighter bangkok. Used Alpha template as my SE day and I did the SE every other week. For E sessions I used a triple. Run/row/run and worked up to 60 minutes of total movement, bumping up the meters rowed and miles ran every week until it filled the 60 minutes of training. Don't know how well my BB phase helped my overall aerobic capacity only doing one E session per week because I had BJJ 2-3x/week which I consider to be more of an HIC day. My strength numbers did go up and I did feel like I had a lot more gas in the tank on the last few E sessions and was a lot easier to keep my HR in the zone
Thank you!

How did you progress Alpha? The book has the progression for 3 weeks: 10/20/30 reps. You jumped beyond 3 weeks if I am not misreading.. Did you keep 30reps for the rest of the BB or changed that?

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Should've been more clear on that. So for the first six weeks I used the 10/20/30 alpha template, just every other week due to traveling and not having the equipment I needed. For weeks 7-8 I used a few random CF workouts. Mainly all body weight exercises at high intensity. The alpha template I used was:

KB swings
GHD sit-ups
Wall ball
Box jumps
Slam ball

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tyr0331 wrote:Should've been more clear on that. So for the first six weeks I used the 10/20/30 alpha template, just every other week due to traveling and not having the equipment I needed. For weeks 7-8 I used a few random CF workouts. Mainly all body weight exercises at high intensity. The alpha template I used was:

KB swings
GHD sit-ups
Wall ball
Box jumps
Slam ball
I see.. That makes sense. Thank you.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Barkadion wrote:I am starting to plan my next BB. I am running it late spring. It will be strength first option most-likely unless I will go for the S&S/Pullups variation.

There are few recommendation in the book for BB option with increased strength focus:

- Strength train 3 x week during Block 1, instead of SE work. Adjust E sessions accordingly.

I know that there are some TB-ers who done that according to some reddit posts/comments. Can you share your experience with that option please? I have few questions..

- Did you keep the your main strength cluster for the BB? Or you used some "special" cluster more useful with BB?
- What was the difference between standard strength first BB version and this modified one?

First 5 weeks:

- M/W/F - MS Operator

6-8 weeks
- M/W/F - Alpha SE

Clusters
- MS - still thinking about cluster. Possible option - 3-4 unilateral lifts (ex: weighted reverse lunges, 1 arm DB press/rows)
- Alpha - some sort of assistance work that can be done with higher reps (ex: dips, pullups, goblet squats, core)

Bark, Op with Base Building works very well, as long as you're not a Green protocol athlete. I do it fairly often myself. If you decide to go with Op - I'd recommend keeping it simple;

1. Op 3 x week, either 'Grunt' or 'SWAT' cluster is fine. Or variations of each.
2. Use a training max.
3. use a training max.
4. E 3 x week. No more than 30 minutes if you're a recreational athlete (i.e not occupational/goal specific). Go longer once in a while if you feel like it for your personal satisfaction, but don't make it a habit. If you're doing 'Strength-First', then strength should remain a relatively high priority. Don't let excessive running cut into your strength development if you can do without.

5. Do the above for 6 weeks to round the Op block out and then switch to SE for the last 2-3 weeks, or stay with Op throughout. You can also do the unconventional approach for the last 2-3 weeks in place of SE (i.e KB swings/Pull-ups etc.)

Keep in mind if you're a recreational athlete you don't need concentrated periods of SE - you can get your SE through Fun-Runs, HIC, Finishers and Fighter-Bangkok. Or schedule 3 week SE blocks throughout the year. Recreational athlete = SE optional.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

K.B. wrote:
Barkadion wrote:I am starting to plan my next BB. I am running it late spring. It will be strength first option most-likely unless I will go for the S&S/Pullups variation.

First 5 weeks:

- M/W/F - MS Operator

6-8 weeks
- M/W/F - Alpha SE

Clusters

Bark, Op with Base Building works very well, as long as you're not a Green protocol athlete. I do it fairly often myself. If you decide to go with Op - I'd recommend keeping it simple;

1. Op 3 x week, either 'Grunt' or 'SWAT' cluster is fine. Or variations of each.
2. Use a training max.
3. use a training max.
4. E 3 x week. No more than 30 minutes if you're a recreational athlete (i.e not occupational/goal specific). Go longer once in a while if you feel like it for your personal satisfaction, but don't make it a habit. If you're doing 'Strength-First', then strength should remain a relatively high priority. Don't let excessive running cut into your strength development if you can do without.

5. Do the above for 6 weeks to round the Op block out and then switch to SE for the last 2-3 weeks, or stay with Op throughout. You can also do the unconventional approach for the last 2-3 weeks in place of SE (i.e KB swings/Pull-ups etc.)

Keep in mind if you're a recreational athlete you don't need concentrated periods of SE - you can get your SE through Fun-Runs, HIC, Finishers and Fighter-Bangkok. Or schedule 3 week SE blocks throughout the year. Recreational athlete = SE optional.
Thank you KB! Appreciate that. Should I keep E for the last 2-3 weeks or should I switch to HICs?

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I did BB with Op, 6-2, with success. BUT I was severely aerobically undertrained and I dropped all of my MS TMs by 10%.

Honestly, now that I'm better aerobically trained, I wouldn't do it that way again. I have the capacity to dump a lot more energy into my E work now, which I think would hamper my MS work.

When I do BB again I'll be doing strength first as prescribed.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:I did BB with Op, 6-2, with success. BUT I was severely aerobically undertrained and I dropped all of my MS TMs by 10%.

Honestly, now that I'm better aerobically trained, I wouldn't do it that way again. I have the capacity to dump a lot more energy into my E work now, which I think would hamper my MS work.

When I do BB again I'll be doing strength first as prescribed.
Thank you! Did you use your regular cluster?

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Yes. SQ/BP/WPU+DL.