Base building for the weak

MxS/SE/HIC/E
uwewhttp

Base building for the weak

Post by uwewhttp »

Hi all,

after reading both TB books and finishing a 12 week jogging program, I tried to start base building but
had some problems with SE training. I started last week with a cluster of forward bends, situps, leg lifts,
pushups and bodyweight squats. I am 51 and out of shape so I did three circuits, but only 10 reps. Still to many
reps, I had to take 4 days off for complete recovery. Yesterday I tried again with only five reps per circuit.
Much better, but still a workout.

So, how should I go on? Just add reps til I reach the starting 20 of normal Base Building and maybe add fewer reps
as I progress from there? This will take much, much longer but should eventually bring me to the prescribed numbers.
Or just do the standard BB template with fewer reps, get some continuation blocks and come back later?
Or use easier versions of the pushups and situps and try to get to the standard reps this way?

Regards,
uwe

grouchyjarhead

Re: Base building for the weak

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I have a "pre-Base Building" approach that you might find useful.

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=16&t=25

This one requires a barbell, but obviously you don't need one. Strength endurance exercises shouldn't be extremely difficult at first so we might just need to modify them a bit for you. If you want to stay strictly bodyweight, I would recommend the following five exercises based on your current progress:

(1) Incline Push-Ups (put your hands on the bottom step of your stairs so you're slightly inclined - you can start higher if you need to and slowly progress down until you're doing full push-ups).
(2) Sit-Ups (crunches are a good alternative if a full sit-up is difficult).
(3) Squats (you can do these to a chair or low step if it makes it easier - do to what's comfortable and then lower yourself from there).
(4) Hip Bridges (if you can't do the full range of motion, go halfway and slowly progress to full range)
(5) Static Hangs (find something sturdy to hang off of and try to just hang for time, this will help you eventually start working up to pull-ups - use seconds instead of reps at first). An Iron Gym pull-up bar is about $20 and mounts well on a door frame.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Grouchy's Base Building template is excellent. In addition to Grouchy's recommendations - if you're finding the SE circuits a little too much at this stage in the game then cut the # of circuits. Do one per session for the first 3 weeks. Come week 4-6 add a 2nd circuit here or there when energy and ability permits.

uwewhttp

Post by uwewhttp »

Thank you all for your recommendations. Of course I have seen Grouchy's template, that's were the 10
rep circuits came from. I guess, I'll try the SE part of Grouchy's pre BB again, but with easier exercises.
If that doesn't work, I'll cut back the number of circuits. For endurance I'll stick with the standard template,
that should not be a Problem.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

Quick question on Strength Endurance

I am not even close to a Dr. so what I am describing may be totally wrong in description but happens none the less.

I have tried high rep stuff, mainly like Tabata style 20sec on/10 off high pulls with either olympic bars or 24K KB, and the tendons around my elbow make it hard to straighten my arms out for a few days. I think i read that when the muscle tires the ligaments and tendons kick in, which again makes sense with the Base Building as it is strengthening those areas. Ok, got that. What I don't want to happen is not being able to shower, brush my teeth, feed and dress myself for a few days.

I was thinking maybe it was volume but 15 sumo HPs x 8=120 reps (hypothetically) but 3 x30= 90 times 5-6 exercises is 450 ttl reps, not the same exercise and I know that goes from upper body to presses to lower body squats..but still a lot of reps.. Less weight, quict at a certain point, make sure rest intervals are long enough, file the ego?

Just want to see if you have any suggestions for that deep,stiff,soreness..or the avoiding of it

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

GiGis Daddy wrote:Quick question on Strength Endurance

I am not even close to a Dr. so what I am describing may be totally wrong in description but happens none the less.

I have tried high rep stuff, mainly like Tabata style 20sec on/10 off high pulls with either olympic bars or 24K KB, and the tendons around my elbow make it hard to straighten my arms out for a few days. I think i read that when the muscle tires the ligaments and tendons kick in, which again makes sense with the Base Building as it is strengthening those areas. Ok, got that. What I don't want to happen is not being able to shower, brush my teeth, feed and dress myself for a few days.

I was thinking maybe it was volume but 15 sumo HPs x 8=120 reps (hypothetically) but 3 x30= 90 times 5-6 exercises is 450 ttl reps, not the same exercise and I know that goes from upper body to presses to lower body squats..but still a lot of reps.. Less weight, quict at a certain point, make sure rest intervals are long enough, file the ego?

Just want to see if you have any suggestions for that deep,stiff,soreness..or the avoiding of it
Unfortunately there's no avoiding soreness when high reps + short RIs are involved. It looks like you're already planning on going with Alpha circuits (max 30 reps)? Which I think is a good idea. Also you don't have to do 5-6 exercises...KB uses examples of minimalist SE clusters with just 2 exercises. So if your exercise involves more than one simple move you don't have to add a whole bunch of extra exercises to your cluster.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

So sorry not Alpha,
3x20 reps but I get your point and thanks for the reply

I am going to jump in ans start swimming

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

GiGis Daddy wrote:So sorry not Alpha,
3x20 reps but I get your point and thanks for the reply

I am going to jump in ans start swimming
If it's any consolation the soreness diminishes over time as you adapt...

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

yes sir, I understand, but there is muscle soreness, DOM, Lactic Acid build up, however you want to refer to it.. THEN there is that ligament/tendon lock up that doesn't allow me to straighten my arm.. But.. I am so stoked about this whole program I don't care. This is what I needed in High School, way before Al Gore invented the internet, so it would not matter whether I was playing linebacker, pitching a baseball or throwing the discus I would be ready. Now its run a 5k, move and carry heavy things, and keep little boys away from my daughter. :D
I guess being a body guard for wife, daughter, mother in law falls into that too..I guess we all are our own counter terrorism unit.

One last question(Today):

Any of you older guys doing any extra mobility things like FoundationTraining or InstuFlow or even yoga? Beginning to wonder if the joints may need extra attention.