Question about LSS

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Jkk89

Question about LSS

Post by Jkk89 »

I saw some write about LSS in basebuilding. When i read the book and did basebuilding last time. I struggled with running and keeping my hr under 150. Does that still stand on BB ? Since im still out of shape on running and having a hard time keeping HR down, or should i just ignore HR and jog/Walk and just continue that troughout the BB?
I saw some say its been discussed many times on the forum, just run or use a Couch to 5k. But couldnt find any "detailed" info about it. Except what i learned in the book :)

Mindboozer

Re: Question about LSS

Post by Mindboozer »

Personally, my HR goes over 150 without much effort. So, for LSS I try to keep mine under 160, which is still a really easy pace for me and satisfies the "talk test". I gravitate more towards the, if you're jogging and it feels like you could sustain that pace easily for multiple hours then you're good.

Jkk89

Post by Jkk89 »

Hehe. Struggling to jog for. More than 15 min haha. I think i Will Just do airdyne and rowing to loose som more weight so it Will be easier.
Thinking indoor power Intervall 1 min instead 2. For 5-6 rounds. And fobbit Intervall 30-60 min.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Jkk89 wrote:Hehe. Struggling to jog for. More than 15 min haha. I think i Will Just do airdyne and rowing to loose som more weight so it Will be easier.
Thinking indoor power Intervall 1 min instead 2. For 5-6 rounds. And fobbit Intervall 30-60 min.

You're overthinking things. If you want to get better at running then you'll have to run. KB has said on numerous occasions not to get hung up on heartrate. Jog at a slow comfortable sustainable pace. Forget about your heartrate and use the talk-test.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

You certainly can overthink LSS. I have done it both with the talk test and with HR. They both work. The idea is to stay in an aerobic zone without going anaerobic. If you have access to a HR monitor, I would use it. The reason for this is that you often don't realize just how hard you are working without a HR monitor giving you feedback. Some days feel better than others, and some days feel worse than others. But a HR monitor gives you realtime feedback. Do some reading on the Maffetone formula. Basically it says that you should be working as 180 - your age as your maximum heart rate. I'm going to give you some leeway on this by saying that what I would do is calculate that number and then in your heart rate monitor, setup a range that is 10 beats above and 10 beats below that number. That gives you a very wide range to work in. Then when you break the upper limit slow down to a walk until you get to the lower limit. Then begin running again very slowly. Repeat this until you hit your time goal. Your problem currently is that you haven't developed your aerobic capacity yet, and you're going to get more aerobic benefit out of keeping your heart rate in this range rather than just running slowly but getting above this range. Keep in mind that Phil Maffetone says that 180 - your age should be your maximum so by doing 10 beats above and 10 below, you are already getting a "break" on his limitations. Also, keep in mind that you will be doing this training over 6-8 weeks. So keeping your HR in this zone has 3 additional benefits/positives. 1) You're not working so hard that you can't recover between sessions, 2) you're likely not going to get injured by trying to go too fast, and 3) it's only 6-8 weeks so give it a try and see if it helps

Again, can you just run slowly with the talk test and find benefit? Yes, but as you have already stated it was very hard for you to keep your heart rate down and it is still hard for you to run for 15 minutes. This is because you haven't built your aerobic base. Follow the above for 6-8 weeks, remembering that walking is perfectly fine if that is needed to stay in your aerobic zone, and see if it gets better. So if you have the HR monitor, use it. It's a valuable tool. Not necessary, but valuable.

Now, you may be thinking, "Then I'll never be able to run continuously for a long period of time if I have to keep walking." Again, think long-term. After your 6-8 week base build, your aerobic engine should be bigger. At that point, if you want to take off your HR monitor then do so. Work on sustaining your long-run pace without slowing to a walk. If you break the Maffetone max, so be it. Once you have reached your goal distance then you can work on increasing your pace over that distance. Continue to build until you are happy with both your distance capacity and pace.