Paralysis by Analysis (AKA, what should I do?)

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Blackmetalbunny

Paralysis by Analysis (AKA, what should I do?)

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

At the same time, this post is and isn’t a rant about how people are approaching Tactical Barbell. Since the forums went live; I've started to notice a trend: there’s a creep of of group-think and dependency

What is this that gets my knickers into a knot?

This question: “What should I do if…

People have started taking the books as the gospel, instead of learning and implementing the principles of Tactical Barbell.

Tactical Barbell at its core is about achieving a level of strength & conditioning which can be used in the field, in a manner that does not impinge on your day-to-day lives. As KB has mentioned “what good is a soldier who can’t march to an objective, just because it was leg day yesterday?

Similar; if you let your TB training get in the way of your life, your focus has shift from TB being a tool for life, to TB being an objective. In which case; you might be better off following a different program which is more suited to your goals. Don't stay on Tactical Barbell just because of some irrational feeling of sunk costs. If there's a program better suited to your goals, you're only doing yourself a disservice by not using it.

Tactical Barbell is a system of insights. Take the time to read, understand and absorb what KB has learnt and is imparting. Once you understand why TB is laid out the way it is laid out and designed, you’ll understand how the system works and how to design / program based on the system. Then the exact words matter less, and the insights & concept of TB will be driving force behind your training program.

All the questions about what to do if I missed 1 day, or 1 week, don’t have a barbell, can’t condition are all answered in the book. AND answer to all of that is simple: “think it through, adapt and grow”.

If they aren’t there, it’s only because you’ve focused on the words without understanding the insights that are there in the book. Read the book again, take time to slow down and understand the concept behind TB.

Now I’m not saying that we should silo ourselves and completely ignore lessons that other TBers can pass on. However; KB has given a few guidelines which clearly answer lots of these questions:

Is Tactical barbell for a newbie?
TB is not for you yet, start with something that uses a linear progression.

When can I start on / transition to TB?
When your double linear progression program is no longer giving you strength gains over time.

... and when is that?
That's like asking me when you'll meet your soulmate. How would I know?
That'll depend on too many factors. Some people stall out fast, and their max might not even break triple digit (KGs). Some people can use a linear progression program to get to weights north of 3x bodyweight, deadlift a truck, while still being able to press their girlfriend and her BFF overhead while typing a forum post with his left pinkie toe.
Everyone is different. Just be patient and be honest with your progress / potential. Transition when you absolutely have to not before. Transition because your current program is no longer giving you decent progress.
So long as you milk your newbie gains to the last drop, you'll know it, and you'll know when it's time to transition.

Do I need a barbell for TB?
You can use something other than a barbell, but at some point, you’re gonna need one because it’s the most efficient way to get real strong, real fast.

Missed a day?
Either carry on without a worry, or restart your week. In the grand scheme of things, this really isn't going to stall your progress. In the logic of TB, the impact would probably not be as significant as you might believe. Sure your 1RM probably isn't going to be optimal, but your real life / in field performance will probably suffer significantly less than you're led to believe.

If you were strong enough to deadlifting an Abrams tank , missing 1 day would make no impact on how you're performing in field.

Similarly if you could deadlift 60KGs, you won't throw out your back lifting that pail of water just because you missed 1 day.

In a full 6 week cycle on Operator, you have 18 training session. 1 session out of 18 session is 5.555~%. That 6% won't make or break your training program so long as you've been consistent.

If that were the case, why do so many people online worry about missing a day?
That's because they're coming from the perspective of professional powerlifting / weightlifting / bodybuilding. At a professional / elite level, such programs are designed and written for the express purposes of maximising results and carry over from session to session.

These professional / elite level programs depend on building and ramping up adaptations from session to session to session, gradually building on improvements and gains from previous sessions; eventually leading into to peaking for a meet or competition.

Did you see the specific words used - professional and elite. Yes; that's right. The cost of missing one session can be sufficiently detrimental to result in a difference of 1lb on competition day, and world titles have been won and lost on less than a 1lb difference.

That's why missing 1 training session, or having even a minor injury is such a big deal.

If you're a tactical athlete, or even seek to train like one. It matters more that you are strong. Whether you are deadlifting an Abrams tank strong, or deadlifting an Abrams tank with someone's boots on top strong is irrelevant. If you can deadlift that Abrams tank, then strong enough is good enough.

Oh, and that bro that's stressing his pants off for missing chest day? Yeah, the cortisol from that stress is probably causing muscle catabolism. He's literally losing muscle because he's stressing about losing muscles.

Stop worrying and carry on.

Missed a week?
Restarting the week is the recommended approach. Or don't. So long as you aren't missing stretches of training session, your next 1RM test might have sub-optimal 1RM results, but that's just the worst outcome.

Will missing a day / week impact my results?
TB is a program about the long game. We’re less concerned about how much you can bench / squat / deadlift from session to session, and more concerned about progress from multiple training cycles to multiple training cycles. We want to see progress in terms of months and years, and less so from session to session.

For context: it takes about 1-2 weeks of continual non-effort to see a deterioration in condition, and about 4 weeks to see a deterioration in strength levels.

I've not trained in X months, do I need to retest my maxes
Yes; you max will have deteriorated, retest so you have solid and reliable 1RM numbers to work on.

Do I go up to technical or muscular failure when I test my maxes
Approaching but not up to technical failure. We want to train at an intensity that still allows for crisp form.

But I can lift more if I go to muscular failure
If you find that TB gives you significantly better results than the tried-and-proven PL / WL programs, then more power to you.

If not, I suggest you relook at your choice of training programs. Evidently your max matters to you in a competitive setting that you're willing to go to muscular failure to eek out that additional few kgs. TB might not be the optimal program for your MS training.

Understand that we're testing our 1RM for the express purposes of determining the working weight for the block. We're not testing our 1RM as an end-goal.

I can’t / don’t want to test a max, can I still do TB?
Yes; you can. Do a 2 or 3 rep max, take the numbers and plonk it into a 1RM calculator. Close enough is good enough.

No barbell during an MS day?
Adapt – do something which does not need a barbell but requires max tension

Forgot a specific conditioning protocol?
Use a similar protocol you can remember, or design one that provides the adaptations you are seeking for the day.

Black or green?
What are your specific conditioning objectives – select the conditioning program that provides the specific results

Fighter or Operator?
What are your specific strength objectives – select the strength program that provides the specific results

Can I transition from B -> G or O -> F?
Why are you switching? Will the new program provide the adaptation / flexibility you are seeking?
Yes? Make the shift
No, I am just too tired / lazy. You have made poor life choices. Suck it up and carry on.
I find the basic program too hard. Are you sure you tested your maxes correctly? Have you looked at your diet / recovery?

When do I transition from Basic to I/A?
When the core / basic program no longer provides the adaptations you are seeking or starts interfering with your life, family, job etc.

Can I do a block of Operator I/A then go back to the core Operator?
Why not, your body won’t stop progressing from a largely arbitrary decision

Do I need BB?
Yes, if your conditioning is bad, you’ll need more condition. In fact, almost everyone needs conditioning. Do BB. Better conditioning will improve everything in your life.

Do I need BB because I’m well conditioned?
Yes, you need conditioning. If your conditioning is awesome, it can and should be awesome-er.

Do I need BB because I’m sufficiently well conditioned to do what I need?
  1. Can you do everything you need to do without breaking a sweat / wind?
  2. Is your name Forrest Gump? Is Bubba your best friend?
  3. Are all the guys in your unit eating your dust?
  4. Have you ever been asked to re-run the last marathon because no one believes your time?
  5. Are you going from bell to bell pounding on your opponent like he slapped your dog and sealed your cat in a box?
  6. Have you recently done an X-ray to verify that your heart was stolen and replaced with a V-8 engine?
If it's yes to all of the above? You have KB's permission to skip BB.
If it's no to any? You need more conditioning.

Do I need BB at least once a year?
  1. Is your name still not Forrest Gump? Is Bubba still not your best friend?
  2. Are all the guys in your unit refusing to run / condition with you?
  3. Is the fittest DI refusing to train you?
  4. Have you been barred from all the local marathons?
  5. Have you opponents all shifted out of the country from the shame of their defeat which will taint the honour of their family for untold generations?
  6. Has the doctor suggested a turbo compressor to complement the V8 engine that is now your cold mechanical heart?
If it's yes to all of the above? You have KB's permission to skip the annual portion of BB.
If it's no to any? You need more conditioning.

Do I need a training max?
Yes, it can help.
No, you don’t need to.
Yes, you can if you want.
No, you don’t absolutely have to.

All four answers are acceptable. It all depends on your objectives, goals and ability to recover from training session to training session.

What is a training max?
I suggest you learn more about strength training before you dive into TB. While this isn't necessarily common knowledge, most beginners with a few months of training and reading under the belt will know what a TM is.

Is TB for powerlifting/ weightlifting/ bodybuilding/ CrossFit/ Strongman/ yoga/ Jazzercise/ P90?
No; TB is an all rounder program. You will be able to see progress and improvements in your game by using an intelligently structured and objective driven S&C program. Even within TB, there are modifications which can shift focus from one objective to another, but in reality such changes would not be the optimal path.

Horses for courses – you want to do more of your game to be good in your game. While TB might help you, it might potentially be sub-optimal.

Can I include aspects of powerlifting/ weightlifting/ bodybuilding/ CrossFit/ Strongman/ yoga/ Jazzercise in TB?
Yes you can; so long as you program intelligently. Although if you’re utterly convinced P90 will get you into the Olympics, you’ve made poor life choices and should revaluate your training program.

Do I need a belt / shoe / knee wrap / sleeves / wrist wrap / squat or deadlift suit / box for my cat
There are too many arguments for and against geared lifting. You're on your own on this topic. I suggest reading up about the pros / cons / various approaches to gear and make an informed decision that make you feel at ease.

Is TB the same as powerlifting
No. Powerlifting focuses on getting 1RM bench press, squat and deadlifts as the end goal. KB chose the major compound lifts as the poster lifts and the fastest way to get inhuman levels of strength, and for the benefits they provide. We aim to lift heavy, but neither 1RM nor these 3 lifts are our end game.
Also powerlifting is a strength based program to focuses on monster levels of 1RM in the big 3 lifts
BIG 3 = End goal

TB incorporates both inhuman strength (Tactical Barbell, 3rd ed) and cyborg levels of conditioning (Tactical Barbell II: Conditioning).
BIG 3 = just one of several tools we use, but we also use numerous lifts other than the big 3 to get to our goals

Is TB for ladies?
Yes; strength training and condition is blind to gender, race and language. Although I'm fairly certain KB hasn't learnt a couple dozen of language and translated the books into several languages.

Is TB for kids?
This question will intentionally NOT BE ANSWERED here

Is TB for my dog?
I think you're in the wrong forum.

Can I have a low-carb diet while on TB? What about Paleo-Zone?
Nutrition is a complex subject. I believe we have TBers on Paleo, low carbs, vegetarian, vegan diets. The fact that they are on such diets and still making progress tells us one thing exactly: everyone is different and can see progress on diets.

The human body is almost infinitely adaptable. An excellent case in point is Lewis & Clark's first experience with the camas root, which left them wishing they could divorce their tummies. Yet; thereafter, they could eat the root with no problems whatsoever.

Chances are, you'll be able to find a diet which suits you, and it might be different from other TBers, but you'll be surprised how similar it will be.

That said, carbs - complex or processed, has been experimented on among TBers, and the consensus is that you need them to perform in TB. Preferably complex and unprocessed. That said; that slice of bread won't jump up and try to strangle you, there's no need to be so afraid of carbs.

Carbs are your friends in TB, eat them. Their express purpose in life is to be eaten and to fuel your TB training. Don't deny them their purpose in life.

AND Because it bears repeating: Is Tactical barbell for a newbie?
NO, start on a linear progression program.
Not convinced? Look at my Reddit post here -> https://www.reddit.com/r/tacticalbarbel ... r/dfjtkdo/
Seriously; saying you want to start on an advanced program just to sound badass is literally putting the cart before the horse.

We’re all here to help and to get better, and while the community is happy to help. Sometimes the oft-asked questions were all answered in the book and the principles that KB was trying to communicate.

We can and are happy to share in past experiences, work together to figure out something, try a new protocol etc. However; hounding back and forth about the basics and what is or isn’t TB can all be answered if the book was read again and thought through.

Someone once mentioned: If you’re not following the book, you’re not doing TB. To me that’s bollocks.

KB has clearly mentioned that TB is a framework which encapsulates the principles and insights on strength training and conditioning that he’s gleaned from so many years in the tactical life. It’s written in that manner because it’s the simplest and easiest way to communicate the principles, insights, logic, structure and design to the mass market.

However; once you understand the principles and concepts, TB becomes fluid, dynamic and can easily be adapted to any lifestyle, need or objective. Tactical Barbell is what a certain competitive fitness sport should have been.

Follow the books to the T if you have to. However; if you understand the concept and principles of TB, the book becomes just a reference.

"Before I learned the art, a punch was just a punch, and a kick, just a kick.
After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick, no longer a kick.
Now that I understand the art, a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick."
-- Bruce Lee

triple

Re: Paralysis by Analysis (AKA, what should I do?)

Post by triple »

EDIT: apparently misunderstood the point, see comments below

There are two kinds of people:
1) people that have internalised the principles laid out in the books to such an extent that they can be creative and devise their own program
2) people that like the mentality and principles laid out in the books, but want to be told more or less exactly what to do

I would say that it takes a lot of mental effort (+ time) as well as workout experience to go from 2) to 1). This seems to be what you are arguing as well. However, not everyone is interested in becoming a 1) (i.e. their own personal trainer), at least in the short term.
Does that make sense?

If yes, the only question left is if we want to accommodate to the more casual type 2).
Casual in terms of knowledge of program design, not in terms of fitness.

My point of view is that there are plenty of people of type 2) that would benefit from and enjoy the program. The cost is that the community helps these people out, just like you just did by writing this FAQ.
Last edited by triple on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

This is a tremendous FAQ, and I understand the "rant." But I will say that the average forum member here seems to be able to think through and adapt their program. How can I tell this? Here's how: To come to this forum, I have bookmarked the New Posts page, and typically when I come to the New Posts page, the new posts shown are almost always log updates and not necessarily questions that have already been answered or are even seeking input. I can't say why that is. I'm not LEO or military, but perhaps if the majority of forum posters do fit into that category then they have learned to adapt in their vocational environment and they can then transfer that to their fitness goals as well. I don't know. Just a thought. It just seems that the majority of people on this forum are very practical in nature and aren't the same as those found on some other fitness forums that I have visited. I also think that KB's and JM's writing styles are such that the concepts are fairly easy to understand and then put into practice.

mikhou

Blackmetalbunny

mikhou wrote:This is a tremendous FAQ, and I understand the "rant." But I will say that the average forum member here seems to be able to think through and adapt their program....It just seems that the majority of people on this forum are very practical in nature and aren't the same as those found on some other fitness forums that I have visited.
Actually; I've observed that too mikhou, but my intent was to place it here over Reddit because posts in Reddit get buried.

I wrote this FAQ initially with the Reddit crowd in mind, but as the post got longer and longer, I made some changes but forgot to revise the opening paragraph.
Last edited by Blackmetalbunny on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackmetalbunny

triple wrote:I would say that it takes a lot of mental effort (+ time) as well as workout experience to go from 2) to 1). This seems to be what you are arguing as well. However, not everyone is interested in becoming a 1) (i.e. their own personal trainer), at least in the short term.
I'm not so much arguing that the regulars haven't understood the material, but it's more of FAQ for those that have not understood the book.

So here's the deal.

Either

1. Follow the program to the T

2. Understand the concept & and the principles before you make changes.

It's like someone once commented on Reddit "You've not even completed 1 cycle of TB, and you're gassing to change the program". This is who my write up is primarily targeting.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
mikhou wrote:This is a tremendous FAQ, and I understand the "rant." But I will say that the average forum member here seems to be able to think through and adapt their program....It just seems that the majority of people on this forum are very practical in nature and aren't the same as those found on some other fitness forums that I have visited.
Actually; I've observed that too mikhou, but my intent was to place it here over Reddit because posts in Reddit get buried.
I agree about posting it here. In fact, I don't even visit the Reddit anymore. This should be a sticky/FAQ here that we can refer new people to when they do come to ask questions that have previously been answered.

EDIT: BMB, I get what you are saying now. I just went to the sub-reddit for the first time in months, and I see where the rant came from!
Last edited by mikhou on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

triple

Post by triple »

I see I see.
I thought you were also arguing against following the program to the T. Like in: don't follow the program at all unless you understand it thoroughly.

Blackmetalbunny

triple wrote:I see I see.
I thought you were also arguing against following the program to the T. Like in: don't follow the program at all unless you understand it thoroughly.
Nah, I can get that. In fact; I followed TB to a fault before things started falling into place for me. Reading JJ's Ultimate MMA Conditioning put another piece into place for me.

I like newcomers as much as I like advanced guys. Often times when someone puts forward a well thought out question, many people benefit from the growing pool of knowledge.

However; there are too many people who have not figured out TB and are gassing to change TB for no other reason than change.

I'd say there are many more stereotype out there, but I wrote this write-up so others can better understand what TB is before asking a question that has been addressed in the book.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:I followed TB to a fault before things started falling into place for me. Reading JJ's Ultimate MMA Conditioning put another piece into place for me.
I'd say there are many more stereotype out there, but I wrote this write-up so others can better understand what TB is before asking a question that has been addressed in the book.
Interesting. BMB, may I ask what type of programming you are implementing now? Sorry for a personal question but I got the feeling that your post is personal. Feel free to ignore my question :)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
triple wrote:I see I see.
Nah, I can get that. In fact; I followed TB to a fault before things started falling into place for me. Reading JJ's Ultimate MMA Conditioning put another piece into place for me.

I like newcomers as much as I like advanced guys. Often times when someone puts forward a well thought out question, many people benefit from the growing pool of knowledge.

However; there are too many people who have not figured out TB and are gassing to change TB for no other reason than change.

BMB, I agree that often it takes time to understand how the principles of TB work together as a coherent system, and in conjunction with that, the best option often is to run it EXACTLY as stated. However, one of the best things that I have done is to try several different templates while still trying to hold to the principles of what makes TB to be TB. I have run Mass, Op, Op I/A, Fighter, and Zulu I/A. I have run them on an exact 7-day week and on an 8-day week. I have run them as part of BB and as part of Continuation. Every time I have run a different template, I have learned more about 1) how the system works and 2) what works for me. And the collective knowledge found on these boards and summarized so well in AA has been a huge boon to my learning curve. I think that the biggest mistake that newbies make is to add too much to TB. Massage the elements of the strength and conditioning programs, but don't add to it. Keep in mind the minimal effective dose prescription. Adding too much often just makes it less effective. Try some of the different templates and see what works for you, but stay within the principles of TB. Thanks again for writing up this brilliant FAQ.

mikhou