Just One Ab Exercise

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Sorntel

Re: Just One Ab Exercise

Post by Sorntel »

WallBilly wrote:Squats.
Love squats, but they don't seem to do much of anything for my abs. Deads do more but even then, not as directly as some ab exercises.

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

J-Madd wrote:Plank & Shank. Does that count as two? Either way, that's my vote.
Love the shank. Do you think planks really hit the abs effectively though? They don't seem to tire me out or strain my abs as much as other things like leg raises or knees to elbows...and my abs aren't particularly strong or anything!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Sorntel wrote:
Love the shank. Do you think planks really hit the abs effectively though? They don't seem to tire me out or strain my abs as much as other things like leg raises or knees to elbows...and my abs aren't particularly strong or anything!
I do my P&S with a 50lb vest, and I find that definitely hits the abs. I agree the knees to elbows and toes to bar are never the wrong answer.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Sorntel wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Sorntel wrote:If you had to choose just one exercise to work the abzz....what would it be?
Ab Wheel roll-outs.
This is going to be my next investment. What kind of rep/set scheme does one typically do with these?
It really depends on your core strength. Your core will set your programming for the move. Ultimate goal is to be able to do one arm standing roll-outs. This will brake bad karma, will make you Bodhisattva and you will enter training nirvana and will join Buddha Ross.

You can start with kneeling roll-outs and progress to standing roll-outs by elevating knees, adding weight, and moving into semi-standing position. This still will be samsara roll-outs, though..
;)
Personally, I treat standing roll-outs as compound movement. I use it as finisher with OP.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Sorntel wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Sorntel wrote:If you had to choose just one exercise to work the abzz....what would it be?
Ab Wheel roll-outs.
This is going to be my next investment. What kind of rep/set scheme does one typically do with these?
Start out with 3x3 (or even 3x2 or whatever you can handle) and work your way up to 3x5 and then 5x5.

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

J-Madd wrote:
Sorntel wrote:
I do my P&S with a 50lb vest, and I find that definitely hits the abs. I agree the knees to elbows and toes to bar are never the wrong answer.
Ahh forgot about the vest!

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

Aelian wrote:
Sorntel wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Ab Wheel roll-outs.
Start out with 3x3 (or even 3x2 or whatever you can handle) and work your way up to 3x5 and then 5x5.
Aelian, thank you this is what I was looking for.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Sorntel wrote:These bring Bruce Lee to mind for me for some reason.

Just because ;)

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

One armed overhead carries get my vote. Can do for distance or time and when they are done real heavy they can really catch up on you quickly.

Need to really focus on good psoture and I can't think of much it does hit core/trunk wise.

Adski

Post by Adski »

The Rollouts/Ab wheels of justice are always the answer.