How to increase chin up numbers?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
WhoDey

How to increase chin up numbers?

Post by WhoDey »

I'm wondering how best to increase my chin ups while following the TB approach.

Not too long ago I followed the Fighter pull up program and was able to 5 chins before one of my elbows developed a bit of pain. After a break, I'm back at it, but can only do 3 chins. I'd like to do weighted chins, but read that one should be able to do 10 unweighted before progressing.

Any tips on how to increase my chin up numbers when training 3 days/week? Should I be doing chins on my non-lifting days as well?

Thanks.

J-Madd

Re: How to increase chin up numbers?

Post by J-Madd »

WhoDey wrote:I'm wondering how best to increase my chin ups while following the TB approach.

Not too long ago I followed the Fighter pull up program and was able to 5 chins before one of my elbows developed a bit of pain. After a break, I'm back at it, but can only do 3 chins. I'd like to do weighted chins, but read that one should be able to do 10 unweighted before progressing.

Any tips on how to increase my chin up numbers when training 3 days/week? Should I be doing chins on my non-lifting days as well?

Thanks.
In your case, I would add two or three two-rung ladders of chins into your cluster on your lifting days. For example, after you are done with your main lifts do chins/1, 2 x 2. Once two-run ladders are easy, start doing chins/1, 2, 3, etc.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I do like the idea of progressing with chin/pull-ups using resistance bands. I did that in the past and it worked miracles for me. You starting with the band that allows you to do desired amount of reps and progress by switching to lighter band(s).

There are some opinions against it but it did work for me. It is less intense then Pavel's Fighter program.

Just my 2c..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

WhoDey

Post by WhoDey »

Thanks for the replies.

During today's workout I did 3 x 2 chin ladders. I interspersed them throughout the main lifts. Felt good.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

WhoDey wrote:Thanks for the replies.

During today's workout I did 3 x 2 chin ladders. I interspersed them throughout the main lifts. Felt good.
Nice job. Confirming you're still keeping the 2 min RIs in between your chins and main lifts?

WhoDey

Post by WhoDey »

Turns out I did have a RI of around 2 minutes, but it wasn't intentional! I did my first ladder before the first main lift, then prepared the bar for the lift. Likewise, I did ladders in between the main lifts and after the second. Preparing or putting away the bar gave me a short break each time.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be more "intentional" next time.

b00tler

Post by b00tler »

If your specific goal is to increase chin-up reps, you could also consider putting a different lift in your cluster, and using the "grease the groove" method to build up your reps to 10. For grease the groove, you'd hang a bar where you pass it repeatedly during the day, and do a few reps each time you pass it: Over about two weeks your max rep #s will increase substantially. When you get comfortable with 10, you can maintain that & then put weighted CU in your next block.

With the elbow pain, you might want to experiment with the width of your grip, or a different grip altogether, to find a position where you don't put unnecessary strain on your elbow. I had this trouble with overhand grip pull-ups and never could find a good position--ended up switching to neutral grip pull-ups, or chin-ups, to eliminate the elbow issue. Once you feel the pain, it's prudent to quickly correct your form or lay off that particular exercise: Tendinitis can take quite a while to heal, if you don't allow your arm to recover.

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

Can you still do 5 chins? If so you might want to give weighted chins a go for a few blocks.

Another option is to do them PPLE style; set aside a block of time after your workouts and do as many chins as you can within your time frame. Rest as long or as little as needed, using any rep-set structure you like.

Geidi

Post by Geidi »

J-Madd wrote:
WhoDey wrote:I'm wondering how best to increase my chin ups while following the TB approach.

Thanks.
In your case, I would add two or three two-rung ladders of chins into your cluster on your lifting days. For example, after you are done with your main lifts do chins/1, 2 x 2. Once two-run ladders are easy, start doing chins/1, 2, 3, etc.

This...just add in a few easy ladders after each workout. 3x week.

WhoDey

Post by WhoDey »

I greatly appreciate all of the helpful replies. For now, I plan to continue to do ladders 3x/week with the goal to get up to 3 sets of 5. Once there, I will add weight maybe the last session of the week.

I also think that doing a low number of chins with good form on off days could be beneficial. Nothing extreme as I want to be rested for the next lifting session. Doing a larger number on Saturday could work as my next lifting day is Monday, so I have an extra day of rest.

Thanks again for the help!