Is enough running 3 days per week?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
spemma

Re: Is enough running 3 days per week?

Post by spemma »

ivan178 wrote:
mikhou wrote:A little late to the party here, but initially just let me say that, yes, running 3 days/week can be enough..
TangoZero wrote: It's been discussed here before....
Thanks for the reply! , I'm doing Black Protocol At the moment, 3 days doing weightlifting + 3 days running (1 600m sprints, 1 5km fast run and 1 60min LSS)

Here's my journey, if you want to check it http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=5&t=667

Then, I'm going to add another 60m LSS, maybe on... Mondays? just after lifting.

Or maybe I could add some boxing/mma sessions, which I haven't done in months, maybe that could help me with the 1km run.
i do the 60 minutes on my recovery day. that would be a long session after your lifting, but it's up to you. i would prioritize the running over the boxing/mma since you have to pass a running test.

BlackPyjamas

Re: Is enough running 3 days per week?

Post by BlackPyjamas »

mikhou wrote:A little late to the party here, but initially just let me say that, yes, running 3 days/week can be enough. I trained for my last half-marathon on 3 days/wk running and 2 days/wk of strength training, and I set a PR in the half. I was using this type of training plan: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-traini ... ining-plan. And I didn't even follow it to the letter because you're supposed to do aerobic cross-training workouts 2x during the week aside from running (cycling, swimming, etc.). I didn't do that. I strength-trained 2x/wk and I occasionally played racquetball. Other than that, I just ran. The point is that, yes, 3 days/wk can be enough.

That being said, most half and even full marathon plans for beginners have you running 4 (maybe 5) days/wk. So the way that I see it, you could go one of two ways. 1) If you have seen improvement on 3 days/wk running, keep doing it. Your improvement may not be as fast as you want, but if you are seeing improvement, don't fix what isn't broken. 2) The other option is to add some distance weekly but slowly. I would not go from 3 days/wk straight to 6 days/wk. In fact, in your situation, I wouldn't exceed 4 days/wk for a long time while your body adjusts to the volume. I find that a lot of distance work beats me up more than heavy lifting, and this is coming from a guy who used to do a lot of distance work (running 4-5 days/week before that last half-marathon). So if you feel the need to increase, do so slowly, but if what you're doing now is giving you results, stick with it until you aren't getting results anymore and then change.
Good advice!