E after Basebuilding

MxS/SE/HIC/E
K.B.
Site Admin

Re: E after Basebuilding

Post by K.B. »

Aelian wrote:Green doesn't require you to run fast, Green allows for tempo & speed-work in your protocol. Green also allows you to run slower without staying under 150 beats per minute. That's it.
Exactly - well put. There might be some confusion with the terminology. We have to differentiate between:

HR-Restricted LSS = 130-150bpm which helps with ventricular hypertrophy etc. A specific type of slow run or activity but not the only kind. Can be used during Base, Green, and Black when E sessions are called for.

E sessions = runs or activities that don't necessarily fall within the 130-150bpm - but they're still lower intensity. Fun-Runs, or heading out for a hilly 10k trail run. You won't remain within 130-150bpm. Not a good choice for Base, perfect choice for Green. Can be used for Black.

Tempo/Speed-work - sprints, intervals, going at a harder clip for a period of time. Higher intensity.

HR-restricted LSS runs are always slow runs. But not all slow runs are HR-Restricted LSS.
HR-restricted LSS is always E. E is not always HR-restricted LSS.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

K.B. wrote:
factor in your short term goals. You might be a tactical athlete that needs to turn into a runner for a certain period of time for a particular objective.
This doesn't get emphasized nearly enough!

spemma

Post by spemma »

thank you all for the input, it is very helpful.

i was too narrowly defining my terms. i was thinking:
  • E = low intensity
  • low intensity = 50-70% x max heart rate
  • E = 50-70% x max heart rate
i think that is fair for basebuilding, but not for continuation. continuation could be said as:
  • E = low to moderate intensity
  • low to moderate intensity = 50-85% x max heart rate
  • E = 50-85% x max heart rate
there exists a moderate intensity zone that may need to be developed for tactical athletes. the moderate intensity does not necessarily need to be developed for long distance runners.

i am myopically focused on a PFT and my running weaknesses, so i was framing too much in terms of that.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

spemma wrote:thank you all for the input, it is very helpful.

i was too narrowly defining my terms. i was thinking:
  • E = low intensity
  • low intensity = 50-70% x max heart rate
  • E = 50-70% x max heart rate
i think that is fair for basebuilding, but not for continuation. continuation could be said as:
  • E = low to moderate intensity
  • low to moderate intensity = 50-85% x max heart rate
  • E = 50-85% x max heart rate
there exists a moderate intensity zone that may need to be developed for tactical athletes. the moderate intensity does not necessarily need to be developed for long distance runners.

i am myopically focused on a PFT and my running weaknesses, so i was framing too much in terms of that.

I think there's still a little confusion going on here...:

"E" is a catch all term for Endurance, not for LISS. It looks like that's where you're getting hung-up.
"E" isn't synonymous with LISS.
"E" is the category, and LISS/LSS is a type of session that falls in that category. As are Triples, FunRuns, Swimming, Rucking, Climbing if done for 30 minutes plus. E can contain intervals or not. A fartlek done for 30 minutes + is an E. A long slow run done for 30 minutes+ is an E.
Further to that....you can still go for a long slow run without it being a heart-rate restricted run. Does that make sense?

Like this

ENDURANCE

LISS Runs (Heartrate Restricted)
Triples
Fun-Runs
Ruck Marching
Fast(er) Runs that go 30 minutes or longer
Walking or Hiking with a weight vest for 30 minutes plus
Swimming 30 minutes+
.....so on and so forth

spemma

Post by spemma »

thanks for the further clarification.

maybe my usage of percentage of max heart rate is making it seem like i'm only thinking in terms of LISS, which i don't mean to be the case.

for conditioning, there appears to exist a continuum of duration and intensity. you can perform an activity for a long duration, but the intensity has to be lower. you can perform an activity at a high intensity level, but the duration has to be short. you can't perform a high intensity activity for a long duration. in other words, you can't sprint for 30 minutes straight. and if you run for an uninterrupted 30 minutes, it can't be all be sprinting.

there's different ways to express intensity. i'm using as a proxy a percentage of max heart rate. is there a better way to think about intensity as it relates to conditioning?

something like a fun run would spike heart rate at certain times, but for very short durations when taken in context of the total run. the total run is done at a low to moderate intensity, with high(er) intensities sprinkled in. averaged out, it's still a low to moderate intensity activity.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

This is beginning to verge on mental masturbation. It's really not that complicated.

If you're not where you want to be running-wise, you're either
a)not doing it frequently enough,
b)haven't been training long enough
c) a combination of the above

Just get the fuck out there and run ;I

spemma

Post by spemma »

i mentally masturbate for a living!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

spemma wrote:i mentally masturbate for a living!
Nice to see true philosopher at this forum :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky