Grinding reps

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Corax

Grinding reps

Post by Corax »

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding grinding reps in week 3 & 6. Is this OK or usually an indication that you should probably stick longer to your weights before retesting? Is grinding reps in the heavy weeks common?

Thanks.

Saracen

Re: Grinding reps

Post by Saracen »

If you can't complete the last set of the last weekly session, stick to the same weight. Someone that isn't you is going to have a hard time deciphering exactly how strenuous grinding is for you. If you complete that last rep but it takes every ounce of strength and willpower you have, then stick with that weight.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Read up and learn RPE, it helps you determine how each set feels. I log my RPEs for each set so I can see not just how much I've lifted, but if the quality of that set has improved over time.

Corax

Post by Corax »

That was going to be my next question, I know the concept of RPE and thought it would be interesting to use and see whether or not you need to retest:)

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Well RPE exists outside of Tactical Barbell (in fact, almost ALL training programs and systems), it's really just a way to determine the level of exertion. Since it's also qualitative, it's very much subject how you're feeling that day as a whole.

The way it's worked for me is to provide context to my numbers.

Say I'm working on squats for week 3 & 6. Now week 3 is the 90% week, and I finish the first set of 3 reps, and I feel I've maybe got 1 or 2 more reps in the tank - I'll mark that down as a 8 or 8.5 RPE.

Come Week 6, I go on 95%, and I load it and go - nail the 2 reps, and I've definitely got another 2 rep in the tank. I'll mark that down as a 8 RPE maybe.

In the above case, I'll know that my perceived strength has increased. I use perceive because these are all very subjective to how you feel and all. However; caeteris paribus - I know that I am either (a) getting stronger; or (b) had a good day.

Now, maybe 4 days later, it is the last day of week 6, I load 95% and nail the 2 reps, but I'm feeling it, and I feel I can easily hit 2 reps, good chance of a or even 2 more reps. now I'd say my RPE has dropped to 7 RPE. Same weigh; less exertion. Definitely getting stronger.
Or maybe the reverse happens, I load and go for 2 reps, but after 2 reps, I'm struggling and maybe can do a slightly heavier load, but might not be able to nail another rep (that goes down as a 9.5 RPE). Perhaps I had a bad day, and need better recovery.

Overall, the RPE doesn't tell you anything you don't already know, and won't interfere with your percentages, but it really gives context to know (and record) how you were feeling for each or the last set.

I would say don't re-test, just start recording how you feel on the last rep of either (a) the last set or (b) each set. Then you can compare weeks and see how you're faring on each lift.

That said, RPE is highly qualitative, I'd recommend you pick a system you feel comfortable with. Also; since RPE depends on an awareness of how you are feeling after a set, once you get used to one approach, it's a pain to adjust to another approach. I use a RPE approach which estimates how many reps are left in the tank. There are a few different ways to measure RPE, and unfortunately none of them are mostly directly comparable to each other.