Run Analysis

MxS/SE/HIC/E
spemma

Run Analysis

Post by spemma »

i had a run analysis performed because of shin and knee pain I experience when running. it's something that has affected me anytime i'm in a running program. it got so bad last week that i was worried i had or was forming a stress fracture.

it was pretty interesting. there is more to come in terms of video analysis and recommendations, but the early analysis was that i'm slight heel striker, i run too upright, and i lack appropriate upper body movement. i've tried to do a lot in terms of youtube tutorials to fix my form and thought i was cognizant of fixing these items, but watching it on video was so apparent.

a few immediate tips given were to have a forward lean, run on my forefoot, and adjusted arm position for better trunk position. it all felt slightly awkward, but watching the slightly fixed form on video was kind of like night and day. i actually looked somewhat like a runner.

anyway, thought it was worth sharing. i can plug the website if anyone is interested.

Barkadion

Re: Run Analysis

Post by Barkadion »

I did the same year ago after pulling my hammies. I ca second that it is very helpful and it did help me to fix my run patterns. Took me a while, though..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

spemma

Post by spemma »

Barkadion wrote:I did the same year ago after pulling my hammies. I ca second that it is very helpful and it did help me to fix my run patterns. Took me a while, though..
nice - what were the takeaways for you? and how did you implement them?

i'm interested in forefoot running and how to implement it. it feels like i'm running on my tip toes. but the video looks like good running form. it's so odd...

some of the tips they gave is try one thing at a time for a minute during long runs.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

spemma wrote:
Barkadion wrote:I did the same year ago after pulling my hammies. I ca second that it is very helpful and it did help me to fix my run patterns. Took me a while, though..

i'm interested in forefoot running and how to implement it. it feels like i'm running on my tip toes. but the video looks like good running form. it's so odd...

some of the tips they gave is try one thing at a time for a minute during long runs.
They did gait analysis and they gave me diagrams that shows my gait, stride, cadence, yada yada. A lot of info. Then they made suggestion on how to fix the over-striding, heel striking, and run posture. Plus some specific mobility exercises. So, I started to run minding my technique. It takes a lot of patients to pay attention to the technique once you are on the road but it worth it... Pulled hamstrings is no joke.....

spemma

Post by spemma »

Barkadion wrote:
spemma wrote:

They did gait analysis and they gave me diagrams that shows my gait, stride, cadence, yada yada. A lot of info. Then they made suggestion on how to fix the over-striding, heel striking, and run posture. Plus some specific mobility exercises. So, I started to run minding my technique. It takes a lot of patients to pay attention to the technique once you are on the road but it worth it... Pulled hamstrings is no joke.....
any tips that worked best for you to improve?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

spemma wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
spemma wrote:

any tips that worked best for you to improve?
Few tips as far as I remember:

- Looking Ahead
- Landing Midfoot
- Keeping feet pointed straight ahead
- Keeping hands at your waist and keeping it relaxed
- Keeping posture straight and erect
- Relaxing shoulders
- No bouncing
- Trying make "baby steps" instead of jumping forward

Try to go over those steps for 1min every 6-7min of your run then let go. It will become a habitual pattern at some point.

spemma

Post by spemma »

it's me and you having a discussion here :lol:

how did you get the midfoot to work? it seems like a function of not reaching, but i'm reaching a bit with my toes too much to try and force it.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

spemma wrote:it's me and you having a discussion here :lol:

how did you get the midfoot to work? it seems like a function of not reaching, but i'm reaching a bit with my toes too much to try and force it.
Chi running :)
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ique-coach

yoda

Post by yoda »

spemma wrote:i can plug the website if anyone is interested.
Yeah I'm pretty interested in the website if you have the link

spemma

Post by spemma »

yoda wrote:
spemma wrote:i can plug the website if anyone is interested.
Yeah I'm pretty interested in the website if you have the link
https://runsmartonline.com/

there are probably others...