Squat vs Deadlift

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Svenjolly

Squat vs Deadlift

Post by Svenjolly »

So, it's been my experience that when one squats frequently, one can maintain or even improve deadlifts. Many programs prescribe fewer deadlift workouts per week, ranging from one set a week, to only pulling once every 9-10 days. I know others on the sub have similar experience.

Now my question is does it work in reverse? Can one deadlift a little more frequently, squat less, and still maintain or increase squat strength? Like squat only once, but DL 2-3x?

Anyone have any experience or opinions on this?

J-Madd

Re: Squat vs Deadlift

Post by J-Madd »

I've definitely had the experience of good DL improvements after almost exclusively training my SA. I think that the SQ can help the DL so much because the SQ covers the entire range of motion of the DL. I'm not so sure the deadlift will do the same for the squat. I'm not saying anything definite; I don't really know.

That being said, I think you could keep your SQ intact will giving your DL move of your love.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

In my experience it doesn't work the other way. The weak links when deadlifting tend to be grip and lower back. Whereas the weak point with the squat is generally the legs. The grip and lower back tend to fatigue much more quickly than the legs, so DL'ng capacity tends to be lower as compared to the back squat.

In other words your lower back and grip fail long before your legs. So most people can squat much longer, harder and more frequently than they can deadlift.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

DocOctagon wrote:In my experience it doesn't work the other way. The weak links when deadlifting tend to be grip and lower back. Whereas the weak point with the squat is generally the legs. The grip and lower back tend to fatigue much more quickly than the legs, so DL'ng capacity tends to be lower as compared to the back squat.

In other words your lower back and grip fail long before your legs. So most people can squat much longer, harder and more frequently than they can deadlift.
Good points.

On the other hand..Sumo DL can give you slightly different experience. More hams involvement and less lower back stress. Shorter pull so a bit easier for a grip. So, Front Squat/Sumo DL is a good combo for instance.

Just some thoughts..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Barkadion wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:In my experience it doesn't work the other way. The weak links when deadlifting tend to be grip and lower back. Whereas the weak point with the squat is generally the legs. The grip and lower back tend to fatigue much more quickly than the legs, so DL'ng capacity tends to be lower as compared to the back squat.

Good points.

On the other hand..Sumo DL can give you slightly different experience. More hams involvement and less lower back stress. Shorter pull so a bit easier for a grip. So, Front Squat/Sumo DL is a good combo for instance.

Just some thoughts..
I'm not following you here. The question is can you build or maintain a big squat by deadlifting mostly and squatting infrequently. Like how you can maintain or improve your deadlift by frequent squatting and infrequent deadlifting.

Are you saying you can build or maintain a big squat by Sumo DL'ng?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

DocOctagon wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

Good points.

Just some thoughts..
I'm not following you here. The question is can you build or maintain a big squat by deadlifting mostly and squatting infrequently. Like how you can maintain or improve your deadlift by frequent squatting and infrequent deadlifting.

Doc, sorry. I think I was kinda off on tangent on this one answering/discussing your comment rather than OP.

No, It wouldn't really work like that.

But on the other hand if I was to create schedule like that.. I'd prefer sumo over conventional or even better trap bar version.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Barkadion wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Good points.

Just some thoughts..

Doc, sorry. I think I was kinda off on tangent on this one answering/discussing your comment rather than OP.

No, It wouldn't really work like that.

But on the other hand if I was to create schedule like that.. I'd prefer sumo over conventional or even better trap bar version.
Ah, gotcha.