MxS/SE/HIC/E
MaxCab

Unconventional Clusters

Post by MaxCab »

We all know the standard clusters;

BP/SQ/WPU + DL

&

OHP/FSQ/WPU + DL

Do any of you use unique clusters? What are they?

grouchyjarhead

Re: Unconventional Clusters

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Something I really wish I could do was Operator with ring dips, ring pull-ups, and squats (with swings 2x a week and deadlifts 1x a week). Roll with BW only for a while, then go to weighted, then eventually replace the dips and pull-ups with ring muscle ups, then eventually progress to weighted muscle ups with squats and swings/deadlifts. I'm pretty sure this cluster was mentioned so it's probably not unconventional but for a really good minimalist program I don't think you can go wrong there.

MuftiMike

Post by MuftiMike »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Something I really wish I could do was Operator with ring dips, ring pull-ups, and squats (with swings 2x a week and deadlifts 1x a week). Roll with BW only for a while, then go to weighted, then eventually replace the dips and pull-ups with ring muscle ups, then eventually progress to weighted muscle ups with squats and swings/deadlifts. I'm pretty sure this cluster was mentioned so it's probably not unconventional but for a really good minimalist program I don't think you can go wrong there.
That looks pretty damn good. One I plan on doing eventually:

Muscle-ups
Deadlift
Pistols (weight vest)

With Operator.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

MuftiMike wrote: Muscle-ups
Deadlift
Pistols (weight vest)

With Operator.
I want to do this now. Badly.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Something I really wish I could do was Operator with ring dips, ring pull-ups, and squats (with swings 2x a week and deadlifts 1x a week). Roll with BW only for a while, then go to weighted, then eventually replace the dips and pull-ups with ring muscle ups, then eventually progress to weighted muscle ups with squats and swings/deadlifts. I'm pretty sure this cluster was mentioned so it's probably not unconventional but for a really good minimalist program I don't think you can go wrong there.

My last cluster I did weighted ring pullups. I feel in the heavier weights it was more shoulder friendly than the bar but worked the core harder than the bar.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

MuftiMike wrote: Muscle-ups
Deadlift
Pistols (weight vest)

With Operator.
This is awesome. What about going even more minimalist;

Deadlift + Muscle Ups

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Out of curiosity how would you go about progression and periodization with the muscle ups?

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Green2Blue wrote:Out of curiosity how would you go about progression and periodization with the muscle ups?
It would most likely be the max-reps method outlined in the book. %s of your max reps. If one could do 5 muscle-ups, then 70% week would be sets of 3, 80% would be 4. Just round up or down. Getting in the multiple sets through the week Operator style would be and excellent way to grease the groove with high tension movements like that.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Saracen wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:Out of curiosity how would you go about progression and periodization with the muscle ups?
It would most likely be the max-reps method outlined in the book. %s of your max reps. If one could do 5 muscle-ups, then 70% week would be sets of 3, 80% would be 4. Just round up or down. Getting in the multiple sets through the week Operator style would be and excellent way to grease the groove with high tension movements like that.
Sounds like a plan! I'd be interested to see someone try it.

Stechkin

Post by Stechkin »

I've been running Operator with weighted chin ups/OHP/trap bar deadlifts + carries for the entirety of my TB career. It's structured the same as laid out in TB (or at least up until TB2, I don't have the latest book), except for the deadlifts where I also carry the trap bar for about 10m after picking it up. This is usually only on the easy weeks, and in a set of 5 I might do 2 carries (pick up, carry 10m, drop, DL, DL, DL, pick up, carry back to starting point, drop, end set). I'm still new to lifting and my numbers are pretty low, but it's worked well for me, and gives me everything I want.

Currently I'm running the weighted chin ups and OHP under the TB structure of progression, but trialing a different system for the deadlifts outside of what's laid out in TB. Now I'm doing something like 8x2 (possibly more sets on the easy weeks), but for every DL rep I also carry it the 10m. So pick up, carry 10m, drop. Pick up, carry back to start, drop. 2 min rest then repeat. The loads are calculated the same as in TB Operator (70/80/90% weeks etc) I'm only on the first week so I don't know how this is going to go, but I like to experiment. I also added 50 rep wrist curls on the end (from Rosstraining), mostly for vanity.