Experience with DL 3x week with OP I/A

MxS/SE/HIC/E
cws1992

Experience with DL 3x week with OP I/A

Post by cws1992 »

I love to Deadlift. Anyone have experience with Deadlifting instead of Squat in their block? Right now I'm running Sq/Bench/Wpu with Deadlift every 3rd workout.

Green2Blue

Re: Experience with DL 3x week with OP I/A

Post by Green2Blue »

•World record deadlift holder Eddie Hall said, when he was training for the record, deadlifting once a week was too much.

•The Westside guys never pull a standard deadlift in training.

•Starting Strength does 1.5 working sets of deads per week.

•The basic TB Operator inclusion of deads is once a week, with all other lift being three times.

Those guys are all a lot smarter than me. Deadlift has always been my best lift. A few months ago I did a Zulu/531 hybrid. Squats were pushed hard with 531 sets, deadlift was pushed minimally with zulu sets. After some time I got curious and tested my deadlift max. It went up ~50 lbs; almost 3.5xbw.

Take it for what it's worth. Even as a guy who is now competing in a sport where the squat is extremely rare, and the deadlift king, I'd never cut squats out. If you were to insist on replacing squats with deads I'd suggest hexbar deads.

29bearcat

Post by 29bearcat »

FWIW, I do DL 2-3x a week for the past 6 months. I replace the DL with a front squat at work (no access to hex bar).

Always use a trap bar when I dead lift and only do a 3x5 (all other exercises 5x5+). My max is only in the low 400's so maybe that makes it easier.

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

cws1992 wrote:I love to Deadlift. Anyone have experience with Deadlifting instead of Squat in their block? Right now I'm running Sq/Bench/Wpu with Deadlift every 3rd workout.
I tried this years back with one of Pavel's programs, just a press and DL. In theory it sounded great, but in practice frequent DL'ng tired me out and didn't give me the same results as when I was squatting. In my experience squats can't be replaced by DLs or anything else.

However I can see it working for a really specialized athlete, like maybe runners using Fighter template alongside really high volume mileage with a minimalist cluster.

cws1992

Post by cws1992 »

Some good responses. I think I'll keep my Squat and continue to DL every 3rd workout. Thanks guys.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Green2Blue wrote:•World record deadlift holder Eddie Hall said, when he was training for the record, deadlifting once a week was too much.

•The Westside guys never pull a standard deadlift in training.

•Starting Strength does 1.5 working sets of deads per week.

•The basic TB Operator inclusion of deads is once a week, with all other lift being three times.

Those guys are all a lot smarter than me. Deadlift has always been my best lift. A few months ago I did a Zulu/531 hybrid. Squats were pushed hard with 531 sets, deadlift was pushed minimally with zulu sets. After some time I got curious and tested my deadlift max. It went up ~50 lbs; almost 3.5xbw.

Take it for what it's worth. Even as a guy who is now competing in a sport where the squat is extremely rare, and the deadlift king, I'd never cut squats out. If you were to insist on replacing squats with deads I'd suggest hexbar deads.
Just scrolling through posts and saw this. Solid

Onebunk

Post by Onebunk »

One other option you could run is the daily dose deadlift program from StrongFirst. You lift 5 days a week, only 3-5 singles per session with minimal weights. The article also has prescribes percentages you work with. They author reccomends to use it if your deadlift is 1.5-2 times bodyweight, but others have said they had success with it. http://www.strongfirst.com/daily-dose-deadlift-plan/

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I did DL 3/week for one of my clusters: FS/BP/Row/DL. I used 1 set of DL as very first movement for the block. And I circled all exercises.

So it looked like:

- Warm up set for all exercises.

- DL
- RI -2-3 min
- BP
- RI -2-3 min
- Row
- RI -2-3 min

- FS
- RI -2-3 min
- BP
- RI -2-3 min
- Row
- RI -2-3 min
Repeat FS/BP/Row for ## of sets.

I loved that set up. I did 3-1 reps for DL depending on the %%. 3 reps for 70%-75%, 2 reps for 80%-85%, and 1 rep for 90%-95%.

Just my 2c..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky