When to do your core work?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
mikhou

When to do your core work?

Post by mikhou »

Hey guys, I have been doing core work after my 2 HIC sessions each week. However, today when deadlifting, I noticed that my back was a little tired from doing some core work yesterday. My currently schedule is:

Day 1 - Strength - SQ/BP/WPU
Day 2 - HIC + core
Day 3 - Strength - SQ/BP/WPU
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - HIC + core
Day 6 - Strength - SQ/BP-DL
Day 7 - E/GC alternating each week
Day 8 - Rest

I'm thinking of moving that second core session on Day 5 to after the DL session on Day 6. So it would be:

Day 2 - HIC + core
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - HIC
Day 6 - Strength - SQ/BP-DL + core
Day 8 - Rest

Thoughts? Just curious how much core work you do and when. Thanks.

WallBilly

Re: When to do your core work?

Post by WallBilly »

Squats and the occasional deadlift are my "core work", and my core has never been stronger.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

I tend to do it after my strength day because it uses the same muscle and I want it to recover before my next squat day but it's harder because I'm tired.

Maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't matter (time to recover) I m not the best to answer.

Also Ross Emanet talk about doing mini workout for the core. Ex in the morning and you do your main workout in the evening. This way you're fresh to do your routine.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

With accessories.

Adski

Post by Adski »

mikhou wrote:Hey guys, I have been doing core work after my 2 HIC sessions each week. However, today when deadlifting, I noticed that my back was a little tired from doing some core work yesterday. My currently schedule is:

Day 2 - HIC + core
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - HIC + core
Day 8 - Rest

I'm thinking of moving that second core session on Day 5 to after the DL session on Day 6. So it would be:

Day 2 - HIC + core
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - HIC
Day 8 - Rest

It depends on the core work you are performing. For example the effects of sit-ups for core work will effect the body differently to say standing wheel Rollouts (weighted, decline etc), the flag, among other exercises. Perhaps having one lighter day and one heavier day (less intense) may be beneficial, particularly from a recovery point of view. Your setup looks fine, a few days between sessions is a good way of getting the core work in in my opinion.

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

xfitxm wrote:Also Ross Emanit talk about doing mini workout for the core. Ex in the morning and you do your main workout in the evening. This way you're fresh to do your routine.
I do it this way and like it. I tend to do it in the evening at home, I'm mostly doing higher rep endurance stuff that only takes 10-15 minutes all together though.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

mikhou wrote:Hey guys, I have been doing core work after my 2 HIC sessions each week. However, today when deadlifting, I noticed that my back was a little tired from doing some core work yesterday. My currently schedule is:

Day 2 - HIC + core
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - HIC + core
Day 8 - Rest

Day 2 - HIC + core
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - HIC
Day 8 - Rest

I like to treat core as addition/accessory/finisher in addition to main lifts that address it indirectly. Also, it is a good idea to use core exercises that cover some prehab elements. So, my choice would be stuff like Body saw, Ab wheels, suitcase and overhead carries, and anti-rotation chops. That should do very good.

Of course, there are TB HICs that have core work as well. Think of all burpees and plank/shanks. That is plenty! GC10 for instance is core torturer.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky