Having trouble doing Back Squats

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Ibrahimovic105

Re: Having trouble doing Back Squats

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

WallBilly wrote:You've got big goals, which is great, but if I have to give you one piece of advice, it would be this:

Don't be in too big of a hurry.

Learn to do things right, and make slow, steady progress. You have plenty of time. Don't fuck up. When I was about your age, I was pushing it on the bench, and had some form issues. I injured a shoulder and it still bothers me 35 years later.

In the end, it does not matter what you are benching or squatting next month. It matters what you will be doing in 5 years (or 35 or 45 years.) Patience.

As the guys have already said above, put off TB for a while. Really learn how to do the lifts correctly. Start a linear progression program like Starting Strength, and don't even be in too big of a hurry on that. Re-set and drop back down a bit, and start again when you get stuck.
Aye Aye captain I will take your word for it...I guess I will cool down enjoy life around a bit ....follow a progressive model like starting strength start slow ...I guess the drive to be better knowledged than the other person and watching too much Hugh Jackman movies have really driven me off....I guess I need to lay back a bit...get a drink as well XD

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

Green2Blue wrote:Get off the internet and go to your gym. Find someone who looks like they know what they’re doing and ask them to show you.
Yeah man I really do need to get off the internet and actually go in the gym and ask the people who know their shit...I guess in today's internet era having too much knowledge and far less action sucks too...you miss out on the real world experience....Thanks to all of y'all...There really was no experienced person to talk around about these things and talking to yall I feel like I've let off a huge burden off my chest...Thanks yall

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Ibrahimovic105 wrote:
Tyr0331 wrote:
Ibrahimovic105 wrote:
Yeah that's exactly what I was figuring out...getting a good coach to personally teach me these compound lifts squat and deadlifts should be best.But I feel like I should do some dumbbell exercises for a few weeks related to these exercises to get the muscles conditioned...because while going under the bar for back squat everytime my hands couldn't reach that far back to hold the bar and I had to flex my wrists to hold the bar .....which was followed by little shoulder strain after I talked the bar.......What is your advice sir ?

And with all this information over my head just at this age I feel too obliged to not go and apply this knowledge...I feel like I shouldnt waste this superior knowledge that I'm getting from reading books like these....and all this is really stressing me out...because I have big goals and there's always a fear if I would fuck things cause of some stupid injury....I want to get in the best shape of my life and maybe all these expectations are stressing me out ....seeing people fail in life...stokes a fire within me to go the distance but also an anxiety that I would fuck things up......Any wise words from experienced veterans like y'all would be appreciated....
What are your stats? Goals? Prior experience in any sports or physical activities? What brought you to tactical barbell?

Height - 180 cm
Weight - 83 kg

Goals-
My physical goals are to get very strong physically like in musculature and physique like Hugh Jackman in Wolverine or jacked Tom hardy in Warrior.....

My other goal is to be able to crank out pushups like it's a piece of cake right now I can't even do ten pushups ....Also to be able to do pull-ups I can't even do one right now

Another goal is to get highly conditioned so I can run without gassing out quickly

History:-
I don't have any prior experience in any sports or physical activities though I'm very passionate about sports and a bit gym freak...The country that I come from getting into sports is not encouraged and also not supported ...so athletes here really suffer

Im always looking for things that can improve me books videos etc...I came to know about tactical barbell while I was casually surfing Google books looking for good training bools.So I downloaded all the tactical barbell books and ever since reading them on my Kindle.
In this hunt of mine I came across many great books Ross enamait , Jim wendler ,Mark rippetoe ,Joel Jamieson, etc etc
P.S I'm a third year University engineering student but as you can figure out Im.a.freak for training and knowledge but I lack in experience and in proper coaching :D :P
Alright.. so why hugh jackman? Why not Arnold?? BTW both use PEDs

So you are lacking in pretty every area as far as physical fitness. No big deal. Everyone starts somewhere. You need to get back in touch with your body and at 20, shouldn’t be too hard. You are on the right path, but your goals are a mess. Find a short term and long term set of goals and get to work. Don’t overlook diet either. In fact, I would take that more seriously than lifting weights if you aren’t already at this point. Face the fact that you may never look like a Hollywood movie star. I’ve been an athlete my whole life and I still don’t look like that. Consistency is key. You will see great results at first then it begins to slow down, so don’t get discouraged. Good luck

Ginjadave

Post by Ginjadave »

If your keen to Read and Learn in the meantime whilst all else is going on seriously Buy 3rd edition Starting strength and read it cover to cover. When i first started lifting i ran SS for 14 Months whilst making continual strength gains before switching to 5/3/1 which is also great as it TB. Starting strength is the best book to actually study technique from tho.

As others has stated nothing beats a real world coach or experience of others that have walked the walk.

Good luck in your endeavours and i applaud you for actually getting off your arse and doing something about it in todays world where convenience and laziness comes so readily to the younger generations.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

In addition to what everyone's saying, imo you are the perfect candidate for traditional Base Building.

- Use back squats and any other lift you have problems with in your SE cluster
- make sure you learn and implement correct form through a coach or aforementioned resources
- goes without saying only use 15-30%rm for SE
- SE will give you the opportunity to practice and perfect your form while strengthening muscles/ligaments etc for max-strength

When it's time to transition to maximum-strength, get on Starting Strength. Do NOT do 531, it's not linear and it's not the best choice for a beginner in TB context. Do SS for a while and then switch to Operator.
Last edited by TangoZero on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ginjadave

Post by Ginjadave »

second the not using 5/3/1 to start with very much an intermediate lifting plan after SS etc

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

TangoZero wrote:In addition to what everyone's saying, imo you are the perfect candidate for traditional Base Building.

- make sure you learn and implement correct form through a coach or aforementioned resources
- SE will give you the opportunity to practice and perfect your form while strengthening muscles/ligaments etc for max-strength

When it's time to transition to maximum-strength, get on Starting Strength. Do NOT do 531, it's not linear and it's not the best choice for a beginner in TB context. Do SS for a while and then switch to Operator.
Okay got it run Base building...perfect my form and condition my muscles and ligaments ...then use starting strength for a while and then use Operator....But i have a question what is the problem of using Operator instead of SS..cause i think the prgramming is superior with the waved periodization and also i will get results faster comparatively

Another thing i didnt mention is that its been only 2 weeks since i joined a local gym other than that i used to go the gym in my building where i stay but it is pretty small and there is no trainer and also limited weight and equipment.....So maybe i should use free weights for a while not too heavy you know do accessory lifts for a month like lat pull downs,dumbell moves ,cable pulls...just to condition the muscles before moving on to Barbell Squat and Deadlifts......What you say?

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Ibrahimovic105 wrote:
TangoZero wrote:In addition to what everyone's saying, imo you are the perfect candidate for traditional Base Building.

Okay got it run Base building...perfect my form and condition my muscles and ligaments ...then use starting strength for a while and then use Operator....But i have a question what is the problem of using Operator instead of SS..cause i think the prgramming is superior with the waved periodization and also i will get results faster comparatively

Another thing i didnt mention is that its been only 2 weeks since i joined a local gym other than that i used to go the gym in my building where i stay but it is pretty small and there is no trainer and also limited weight and equipment.....So maybe i should use free weights for a while not too heavy you know do accessory lifts for a month like lat pull downs,dumbell moves ,cable pulls...just to condition the muscles before moving on to Barbell Squat and Deadlifts......What you say?

It's not a question of which program is better. SS is generally better for beginners because it's a fast progression that takes advantage of the novice's ability to add weight to the bar every workout. You won't be able to use it for long as a TB/Cross-training athlete because it'll start to interfere with your cardio and vice versa. That doesn't mean you can't take advantage of it for however long the linear gains last.

Regarding your second question it makes no sense. You don't need to condition your muscles to do squats by doing accessory work. Just do the main moves but do them as SE during base building. You'll be working with 15-30%rm so all you'll really need is a bar and a bench. No need for a squat rack, you can probably hoist the bar onto your back for squats because the weight should be that light. You don't have to just use barbell lifts alone, just the ones you have trouble with. Mix it up with bodywieght, dumbbells, or whatever you want.

antlas

Post by antlas »

Something is off about this. As a 115lb woman I started with a 65lb squat and a 115lb deadlift, and that was just on day 1. I don’t say this to make you up feel bad, OP, but to underscore that the problems you are having are not internet-solvable. Are you excluding the weight of the bar (45 lbs) or are you mixing lbs and kgs? In any case, this is definitely a scenario where it’s worth paying for a coach or even a physical therapist.

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

antlas wrote:Something is off about this. As a 115lb woman I started with a 65lb squat and a 115lb deadlift, and that was just on day 1. I don’t say this to make you up feel bad, OP, but to underscore that the problems you are having are not internet-solvable. Are you excluding the weight of the bar (45 lbs) or are you mixing lbs and kgs? In any case, this is definitely a scenario where it’s worth paying for a coach or even a physical therapist.
My bad I realised now that the weight I mentioned was 35lbs on both sides of the bar that means 70 lbs and for deadlift it was 45lbs on both side that means 90lbs total ,plus the bar was an Olympic bar weighing 45 lbs ..should've mentioned that :lol: :lol: and I will definitely be hiring a coach to train me in these big moves